• R, 1 hr. 46 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Horrible Bosses Reviews

Matthew Samuel M

December 14, 2013
It's a relatively watchable comedy. Aniston and Day are reliably funny, and there are some laugh-out-loud moments. Nonetheless, as expected with modern comedies, the script and storyline are mediocre. It's still entertaining. Just average. Not horrible. Not brilliant. It's a harmless way to spend an hour and a half.
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

July 9, 2011
Solid acting performances from the cast and a brisk fun pace save the movie from its rather thin plot.
Eugene B

July 28, 2013
The amount of crude humor and vulgarity goes well to make this a pretty well-developed film. The team of Bateman, Day & Sudekis along with the antagonist-trio of Spacey, Aniston & Farrell provide both starpower and charm to this outrageous comedy. 4/5
Eric S

April 28, 2013
Not sure why I watched this one, but I did laugh here and there.
Jennifer Aniston is actually funny as a sex-crazed boss who is quite demanding of a particular employee; and I think you can imagine in what way. So I guess I have to like her now.
And the rest of the well assembled cast contribute in keeping things amusing. Jason Bateman's turn to comedy is an example of an actor figuring out what works for them which is something we need to see more of. Is it me or do we need to lighten up a little? lol
There's one quote that I found particularly funny. Something about bending a woman over and showing her the 50 states. That's a new one to me. :)
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 27, 2011
Funny movie about three best buddies who hate their bosses. Like strangers on a train, they plot to kill each other's bosses. It's a bit off the wall like the Hangover. Good plot and cast. Funniest scenes are with Kevin Spacey. Strong language. Jennifer looks great but either has been airbrushed or has had some work done.
Sophie B

October 3, 2012
A really enjoyable story about what most people have thought about at some point in their lives. Great characters, great actors and a fantastic plot. Highly recommended.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

February 21, 2012
The main focuses are the bosses played by Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Aniston. While Spacey portays a twisted yet powerful man, Aniston is a seductive and crazy dentist. Although people complain about it having so many cliches, to be honest, its difficult to make a film with no cliches these days. However, there are certain jokes that are made which do take it too far.

Horrible Bosses will not appeal to all,but will send many who watch it laughing their socks off.
Carlos M

March 8, 2012
Irritating to the point of almost unwatchable. There is nothing remotely funny in following these unbearable retards amid stupid gags and homophobic/racist/sexist remarks all over. Besides, Charlie Day is a horrible actor who thinks yelling in a high pitch makes him funny - it doesn't.
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

July 13, 2011
Directed by Seth Gordon, New Line Cinema, 2011. Starring Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, Andy Sudeiskis, Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell.

Genre: Comedy

Question: Who here has had a horrible boss? Yep, pretty much everyone. I had one or two - that's for sure. But now I am my own boss and I am lovin' life. Anyway, how many of you ever considered killing your boss just so you didn't have to deal with their crap anymore? Well, that's what Horrible Bosses explores but in one of the most hilarious movie I have seen in a long time! (And, yes, I don't recommend anyone actually consider killing their employer - just putting that one out there, okay?)

This stars Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Andy Sudeikis as three friends with the world's worst bosses. They are played by Kevin Spacey, Jennifer Aniston and Colin Farrell. I may have never seen worse employers - ever. But, boy, was it funny to witness.

Jason Bateman, who is the most serious of all disgruntled employees, had the pleasure of sucking up to Kevin Spacey in hopes of getting a promotion. I am still undecided if he was the worst of the three right now. However, he may have been my favorite to watch. Kevin Spacey can play the best jerks (wish to say an expletive here but not sure if youngsters read my blog) so it was easy to enjoy that performance.

Charlie Day, who I must admit I don't really know his work all that well and he reminds me a bit of Bobcat Goldthwait, plays a dental hygienist with the horniest boss on the planet. The dentist is played BRILLIANTLY by Jennifer Aniston. This may be her best role yet. Now this movie is rated R and besides a lot of profanity I think it was for her performance that helped garner that rating. Yes, every male will probably enjoy this one and that's all I am going to say about that!

Andy Sudeiskis, who I believe is an SNL regular, had probably the worst boss - a balding, comb-over, drug-taking scumbag played rather so-so by Colin Farrell. I usually like Colin Farrell and he could have had a lot to fun with this particular character but somehow it sort of fell short for me.

Now as you know I am not going to reveal the entire plot. But if you have seen the previews you know what the premise is; and I will say that it goes off in a different direction than I was expecting. I laughed out loud A LOT - said "Oh my god!" more than I can count and even had to cover my eyes a few times for fear of being sick in the theater. That wouldn't have made for good movie watching after that.

I recommend Horrible Bosses especially for a good laugh. It is definitely not one for the kids and if you are easily offended - skip it. However, if you desire to watch this film - be prepared to giggle, be a little shocked and what ever you do - don't leave during the credits. I believe I laughed harder during those than the entire movie.

My favorite thing: Kevin Spacey - he really does play that "type" very, very well!

My least favorite thing: Let's just say it involves toiletries and leave it at that. OK!

Rating: R
Length: 100 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10
maxthesax
maxthesax

May 9, 2012
I'm going to resist the temptation to simply review "Horrible Bosses" as follows - "Horrible Bosses, Horrible Film".

It's all you really need to know, but as reviewer I feel compelled to expand on the above. In "Horrible Bosses" you have an non original idea, some comic situations that come off flat and some truly bad comic writing - oh, and the cherry on top... atrocious film editing and continuity. About the only saving grace to this film is the performance of Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Anniston as two of the bosses. There's also an odd, quirky appearance by Jamie Foxx (whatever happened to this mercurial talent?) that just doesn't do much other than make you say "hey, there's Jamie Foxx, what ever happened to him?" (This last sentence is probably funnier than much of what is presented in the film).

As for the film, it starts out well enough, showing how each of the three main characters is at odds with their bosses. Over drinks (in a really badly edited sequence) the trio wonder "hypothetically" if they would be better off by offing their bosses. From here the film spirals downward, the only truism being that three middle class white guys would have no real idea about how to contact a hit man. They bumble and stumble, going from one improbable and unfunny set piece to another, trying to be endearing and "look at me" funny - but it just isn't happening. About the only truly funny occurrence transpires as the three leave a shopping mall in three separate cars - the overhead view of each blocking the other as they attempt to exit is at least mildly humorous, which is more than you can say about their antics and attempts at low brow humor.

I will admit that this one sequence, which was almost a throwaway, made me smile: when asked by a cop to explain why he was speeding away from a crime scene, one of the guys replies "I was drag racing". The cop responds "in a Prius???" The guy looks sheepish and admits "I usually lose". The film sure could have used a ton more well thought out bits of humor like this, but far too often relies on situational humor, a misstep when the situations aren't plausible and there's no intelligent banter to support it.

In a buddy film of this nature there has to be a click or a spark, so that when the buddies are together you feel good about watching them interact - but the chemistry is lacking here and the three buddies seem to be nothing more than plot devices getting you from one lame skit to another - it almost seems like the director and writer were hoping for some kind of improvisational magic... but the trio left their wands at home.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

April 18, 2011
First opinion before watching this movie : wow, how many stars that involved in this movie.. The three main cast : Jason Bateman, Charlie Day, and Jason Sudeikis are doing just fine, the three of them not only hilarious with their stupidity acts but also with their behavior such as annoyingly high-pitched voice from Dale when he's panic.. And for the bosses : Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey, and Colin Farrell, I'm just a little disappointed since Aniston got the fewer scenes rather than those two, even though she's the only boss that 'survived'.. The story is simple but flows logically and the twist that they gave at the middle of the movie just make the movie more interestingly to be watched..
Dean !

August 17, 2011
A very good adult comedy. I think it works so well as you have good actors in the smaller roles who don't normally do comedy. Kevin Spacey and Jamie Foxx are both great and good to see more of Jennifer Aniston in many ways, doing something different to the nice girl next door Rom-com's. Good chemistry between the 3 lead charaters as well. It's very funny!
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 2, 2011
A surprisingly funny movie, a top end cast and a promise to be a brilliant comedy are two factors that could mean that this movie fails to impress, especially if your going by movies like Valentines Day and New york i love you! Both movies with a large brilliant cast and hold the promise of being birlliant comedies and yet were poor on so many levels!
Thats why i wasn't so enthusiatic about giving this movie a chance, i had preconcieved ideas that this movie wasnt going to keep its promise and i was pleasantly surprised!
Its very funny, a good storyline and love the way it was written and portrayed across to the audiences! I love the way they made Colin Farrell: A sex god to so many women and yet they made him into this repulsive arse, which was brillaint!
A brilliant cast and delivered well by everyone, its nice to see jennifer aniston in a movie that hasnt flopped!
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 8, 2011
Three average Joes, each with a boss that is an absolute nightmare, conspire to kill off their respective superiors to make their lives a little easier. The only problem is, they're totally incompetant when it comes to this sort of thing.

That's the set up, and it's a simple one, but the end result is actually really funny, quite good, and better than I figured it might be. There's a star studded cast here (including some nice cameos), with Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day playing the tortured employees, while Kevin Spacey, a barely recognizable (and sleazy) Colin Farrell, and a wonderfully raunchy Jennifer Aniston play their respective bosses.

Everyone does a really good job with the material, even though for Spacey this is a slight rehash of past work. Aniston is shockingly awesome playing a filthy minded and oversexed dentist, and Farrell's sweaty, coked out nutball with a balding head really steals the show. Everypne is great, but these last two really take the cake.

Going into it, I didn't have extremely high expectations, but I was hoping it would at least be kinda funny, even if it did ultimately fail. Thankfully, the film is surprisingly better than expected, and there's some great surprises to be found here.

All in all, a decent film that really works as great catharsis for anyone who's ever had a boss that hated so much that they wanted to see them dead.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

February 17, 2012
Oh, if only we could work at a job without bosses. We would be able to live and work in happiness then, right? Jason Bateman is a suck up whose brown-nosing seems to have backfired when boss Kevin Spacey gives himself the sweet raise and extra office. Meanwhile, poor dental hygenist Charlie Day is being sexually harassed by Jennifer Aniston, who by all accounts is really hot. Then there's Jason Sudeikis, a womanizing philanderer who is suddenly forced to relate to the boss's coked-up philandering son who's only out to "make a profit" and isn't really passionate about chemicals. These three unsympathetic characters decide to "kill their bosses" (despite the fact that at least two of them would be out of work as a result of this, as their bosses are the company- arrgh, these plot holes will later be resolved by simply choosing to not address them) in an effort to make their work lives better. Of course these guys are just fantasizing, and their fantasies do lean towards doing illegal things, but when one of the bosses does actually and indeed get killed, the movie kind of goes into unpleasant territory and becomes more a spiritual successor to "American Psycho" than any sort of modern comedy aught to (while still remaining funny). Kevin Spacey is about as unsettling as any movie villain and while I was fascinated in the film's transformation in tone, I didn't find much funny about it. And Horrible Bosses is supposed to be a comedy, right?
Cynthia S

May 16, 2011
I have to admit it... I liked this movie. It wasn't laugh out loud funny very often. Instead, it was a constant chuckle for me. Lots, and lots of chuckles. Definitely full of recognizable faces. Charlie Day really made this movie. He is a hoot!!
Jason O

February 9, 2012
Much preferred it over "Bad Teacher" and the second "Hangover" film...not overflowing with laughs for me, but Kevin Spacey was the standout, and the other actors got some LOLs from me as well. Definitely recommended. And oh...I'm glad none of those are my bosses!
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

January 29, 2012
Good premise + Good performances should equal a raunchy great time, but "Horrible Bosses" is too uneven to universally enjoy.

"Horrible Bosses" is an extremely common occurrence in Hollywood. A flick that is a great idea, that has amazing Marketing potential and great scenes but is disappointedly written and executed.

For those who saw the trailer for "Horrible Bosses" the promise of seeing Jennifer Aniston, Kevin Spacey and Colin Farrell gamely playing the titular horrible bosses is almost too good to pass up. All three relish their roles and deliciously chew up the scenery with gusto as they torture their desperate employees (Jason Bateman, Charlie Day and Jason Sudeikis).

The movie is written as a fragmented set of skits strung together by a good premise. But the premise is compromised as you see the screenwriters struggling to solve some plot problems. Hollywood insist that their protagonists are likable but the nasty premise makes it hard to keep the characters likable if they execute their plan. So the plan is half-assed, and like they say, after promising to "go there", the movie doesn't. And this compromises "Horrible Bosses" ability to deliver a biting comedy.

It's a shame. Charlie Day is excellent as the victim of Aniston's inappropriate advances. It's the actor's enthusiasm for their characters that makes the movie watchable. They are able to sometimes mask "Horrible Bosses" flaws, but that's hard to maintain over a full film's length.
Thomas J

May 4, 2011
Having had a good handful of horrible Bosses.... I enjoyed this movie. Mix this movie with Office Space and you will understand my career better!! lol It is FUN!!