The Hot Chick Reviews

½ September 29, 2013
Not enough Rachel McAdams, and way too much of Rob Schneider. Anna Faris makes this ordeal semi-watchable. None of the slapstick humor works, not much is made of the sort of interesting concept, and flat direction sinks the lazy effort. I didn't like it.
½ September 28, 2013
A simple film made for the teens market that fails to deliver any real comedy other than a few titters. Actors do a fine work but are let down by comedy timing and a thin script. There are two people that are involved in the exchange but we only get to see Robs side of the story, which weakens the precept. The film has its moments, alas few and far between. Nibbles: Fairy Cakes.
September 2, 2013
Hot Chick
The "Hot Chick" is not a good comedy; it's not even a good movie but if you somehow get stuck watching it there are a couple of things that you can look forward to and it isn't a completely dismal experience. The film revolves around the familiar body-switching premise and this time, it's a hot, popular cheerleader who gets her body switched up with that of a 30-year-old, nasty male criminal. Jessica Spenser (Rachel McAdams) steals a pair of ancient earrings that puts her mind inside the body of a petty thief named Clive Maxtone (Rob Schneider). Obviously when Jessica wakes up, the shenanigans start immediately, with her lamenting the loss of her perfect breasts, struggling with the notion being able to pee standing up and the idea of no longer being able to win "prom queen" at the end of the year. With the help of her bestest bestest friend April (Anna Faris) she has to manage avoiding her parents, keep her relationship with her boyfriend alive and find out where her body went, all before the big cheerleading competition and the prom!

So I'm just going to mention quickly all of the things that are wrong with the movie and follow up with the film's one saving grace. First of all, the introduction of the film is completely unnecessary. We begin by showing the "backstory" of the magical, body-switching earrings by showing a flashback to 50 BC, where a Princess just happens to have the magical earrings and uses them to switch bodies with one of her servants. The scene doesn't really add anything to the movie; we don't get any more information than "they're magic" and a demonstration of what the earrings do. Considering the scene uses special effects, sets and costumes that are seen nowhere else in the film it just looks like a waste of money, which would have been been better spent on some touch ups to the script. When it comes to the humour, many of the jokes are incredibly obvious. Predictable comedic moments include Rob Schneider squeezing his body into tiny tube tops, trying on bras, screaming in horror at the sight of his hairy arms and legs etc. Every person who's ever noticed that men and women are different physically has thought of most of the humour we get here. Other jokes in the film are so bad you've never seen them before. The one that stands out particularly is an extended scene where Jessica has to learn how to pee like a man with the help of an old black bathroom attendant (Dick Gregory). The movie would be bad enough if it was only for these lame attempts at humour, but the movie often gets offensive with the over-the-top mother of Jessica's friend Keecia. This teenager is half black, half korean and embarrassed by her mother. Ok, sounds like a normal teenage thing but her mother plays to countless Asian stereotypes, (pronouncing "l"s as "r"s for example) and is constantly being portrayed as embarrassingly socially awkward and stupid (there's a scene where she's gleefully hanging a "lost" poster upside down, as if she doesn't understand English or something). It's the same kind of humour that's found in all of the Happy Madison films, the ones that basically call out "laugh at this person, they're different!" Along with Keecia's mom, we also get other one-joke characters that revolve around physical differences like the fat girl Hildenburg who's always seen eating, even in the chemistry lab; the nerdy teacher who likes to play tuba and the stoner salesman (played by Adam Sandler in one of the worst wigs you've ever seen) that's obsessed with pot. The movie also contains many jokes centered around men acting effeminate and Jessica and her friends getting excited over the sight of male genitals. There are many moments where the only joke is that Jessica is acting in a way that makes the people around her think she's gay and she has to then reassure them that she's nice and straight (a.k.a. normal).

From a storytelling point, you'll find it very strange that it takes so long for the characters involved to track down Jessica's stolen body. It's only towards the very end that Clive pops up again and it really feels like either a plot hole or just lazy writing by that point. I guess the idea was that the girls were so busy making fun of the guy that they didn't see his face, but then why not just have him be an actual burglar and show up in a ski mask or something? I also realize that they kind of give an explanation for why Jessica's parents don't find it strange that it is taking so long for their daughter to show her face after a ski trip with her boyfriend, but it really felt like just an excuse to quickly hush the audience (they're told that their daughter is spending the week at April's house... sure). As I was watching the film I also wondered what happened to the gardener that Jessica impersonates under the pseudonym "Taquito". Did he just, never show up for work? What about the cheerleading competition, surely there were many practices required, did they just not inform the rest of the team that Jessica was stuck in another body until the day of the competition, where they decided to just wing it? While I'm at it, how did Hildenberg not realize something was fishy when she was dressed up like a player from the rival school and was it really humiliating to get toilet paper thrown at her when no one knew her identity? And did the police not do any searching at the crime scene where we discover what Clive has been up to the whole time? How did they manage to get young Booger Spencer (I'm assuming that's not his real name but the real point here is that the kid is 12 at the most) inside of a strip club? And do criminals usually get to wear whatever they want in prison, even if that means women's underwear? for a movie this stupid, it sure made me think a lot.

I will admit that there is one good thing about the film, and it's Anna Faris. She's perfectly cast as the overly excited, kinda dumb cheerleader that's eager to please and ready to find love. She brings a shining light to every scene she's in, her character has some nice developments and she gives her role everything she's got so she comes off as really charming. I'll also admit I laughed at her father, who just doesn't care about anything that's going on and always just dismisses his wife's suspicions, even if it means threatening the woman he loves. There are a few jokes here and there that do work here and there, buried between the fart and male body humour. It isn't enough to make the movie good but it does show that a single character can make a bad movie bearable. It's a shame she wasn't more frequently on screen because there are maybe one or two scenes that don't include her that actually work. Anything with Adam Sandler or Jodi Long though, forget it. I have to honest and say that Anna Faris did make me laugh and some of the bad jokes did too. I'm not saying the movie is good, I'm just saying as far as these terrible "Happy Madison" movies go, you can do worse.

"The Hot Chick" isn't good and neither are most "body switch" comedies out there because most of them lack any real imagination or genuine heart. Find a good one and watch it instead of this one because yes you might laugh a couple of times but there are so many bad jokes and tasteless moments that it makes you feel bad if you end up liking the movie. (Dvd, August 30th, 2013)
½ August 18, 2013
Although this film is the typical body swap genre chick flick with every cliche imaginable, it still has a nice, feel good, comedy vibe. It's a nice light, easy watching film with elements of comedy that, admittedly, quite humorous at times. Although I did find the part where male Jessica was in love with her best friend a bit awkward, overall it was a good film.
August 9, 2013
Bland jokes, stereotypical characters (after all, it's a movie with Rob Schneider), offensive, dumb, stupid, unfunny, ridiculous and simply too much and too little for any viewer. Oddly enough, this is one of Schneider's less worse movies, and that's saying a lot.
June 24, 2012
5 stars for humor :D
August 3, 2013
At the very least, I followed the story with some interest.
July 30, 2013
The first ten minutes were like awkward and painful shock therapy sessions, but then they swapped bodies and, somehow, I found myself laughing quite a bit. It was stupid beyond recognition, but is entertaining when you haven't slept in thirty hours.
July 17, 2013
With humor only driven through gleeful performances and gross-out WTF moment's, The Hot Chick really has no other reason to exist.
May 15, 2013
Oh my god! I still don't get why this needs to be made. Screw it! It's not a real movie. Nobody thought this was funny. Even if you do, you don't.
½ March 21, 2012
I actually saw this movie in its entirety when it came out. I just saw a preview for it on TV and can't believe I saw this
April 13, 2013
love this movie so funny
½ April 11, 2013
This was unbearable. What the Hell is next?! Rob Schneider is The Stapler?! Rob Schneider is The Carrot!? How about Rob Schneider is The Talentless, Tasteless, Unfunny Little Man. He wouldn't even need to make a movie to do that one.
April 7, 2013
actually has a few lines that I use all the time
½ April 5, 2013
For a Rob Schneider movie its ok. I am going to give this movie too many stars because I would like to bang Rachel McAdams, and Anna Faris.
April 2, 2013
Probobly would be better off of cable television
April 2, 2013
SO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 2, 2007
Awful..why did i watch the whole thing....
July 2, 2007
Don't remember this at all.
½ July 9, 2012
A rather funny movie... Of a beautiful blonde teenage girl who swaps body with a rude ugly guy. Comedy and awkwardness insues!