—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Hot Rock Reviews

July 16, 2014
I like heist movies and I jumped at the chance to watch a heist movie starring Robert Redford. The Hot Rock is a decent comedy drama that has a lot of dry humor that works. The creative ways they use to pull off the heights are cool and overall the movie delivered everything I would want from a heist movie.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

August 7, 2013
Enormously entertaining caper flick where a quartet of thieves don't have just one job, they have to pull off four - a museum, the state prison, a police station, and a bank - and all to get the same diamond! Redford is typical Redford as the cool-as-a-cucumber brains of the group, although he tends to get arrested and needs antacids to offset the nerves he internalizes. George Segal is the optimist and master locksmith, while Ron Leibman and Paul Sand round out the team, and we can't forget Zero Mostel as a crooked lawyer. There's always something amusing going on in William Goldman's script which adds offbeat color to the story, like an old woman who interrupts a gang meeting in the park to feed the birds, or a bum who steals Redford's watch when he's casing a building, or the getaway driver and his mother who listen to speedway recordings of roaring engines for recreation. Plus, there's a breathtaking extended helicopter ride through downtown New York City. If you love caper movies, you've got to see The Hot Rock.

"Johnny.....Can't you go straight this time?"
"I just don't have it in me."
boulderjoe
August 3, 2013
A very good film. I liked it as a kid even though a barely could understand it. I saw it again as an adult and liked it all over again.
June 30, 2013
How to steal a diamond...and steal it...and steal it--Amiable caper comedy with a great cast!!
donaldwhite1
May 22, 2007
I saw this movie at a movie theater in Stillwater, Oklahoma when I was in high school. I laughed my ass off. I later bought a paperback copy of the book the movie was based on. The movie follows the book fairly closely. The movie was filmed in New York City. There are a couple of scenes where you can see the unfinished World Trade Center twin towers. The story is about a group of jewel thieves trying to steal a large diamond for an African nation that claims the diamond belongs to them. They can't seem to get it right and have to keep stealing the diamond over and over again. There are some cool muscle cars from the early 1970's. They wear some of the ugly clothes from the 1970's. It's still a good movie but after you've seen it before the jokes aren't as funny. The amount of money the thieves are offered seem low until you think of the amount of inflation that's taken place since 1972.
Luke W.
October 31, 2012
An entertaining, breezy caper comedy that is miles better than many of its successors.
April 4, 2012
A Pure perfection. Ricky Miller
January 25, 2012
A solid effort, a good cast w/ great chemistry but a lack of backstory and a wee bit too long puts it in the C+/ B- range. Still worth a look. A lengthy flyabout NYC in a helicopter has one particular, now eerie, noteworthy image: The WTC under construction.
rickyroma72
October 21, 2011
A Pure perfection. Ricky Miller
August 28, 2011
Robert Redford in his hey day. Silly, but good.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A band of criminals played by some great 70s actors, go out to steal a diamond, with hilarious results. I enjoyed this movie, it's not very different from other movies like that, but it's fun.
Sophiazh65
May 19, 2010
My Husband is the Best!!! Great scenes of New York and the Twin Towers are under construction!!!
heapshake
January 31, 2010
If this had been a more traditional heist movie just with the odd gang that Redford comes up with - it would have been more enjoyable. I enjoy comic caper flicks, but this one had way too many turns. I did enjoy the acting and the actual heist, but by the end I wasn't sure what was going on.
June 8, 2008
Better than Ocean's Eleven, this film is so much fun. Robert Redford is right on and his pairing with George Segal is perfect. Redford's acting in the final scene alone is worth watching the movie for.
March 18, 2008
Clever little crime caper with the always-charming Redford.
spork402
October 27, 2007
Superb cast. Reford flexes his comic muscle in this one. I never get tired of watching. Zero Mostel as a slimy lawyer...that`s as good as it gets.
Virus
July 27, 2007
This film took a long time to come to DVD because Robert Redford was holding up it's DVD release. It isn't all that bad, but you can Redford wasn't all into it. One of those con type films like The Sting but it isn't even near as good.
May 23, 2007
story about a jinxed diamond, and the ?habitual crime? starring robert redford looking young and yummy.