—— The Identical Sep 05

Hot Rod Reviews

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 24, 2009
Smack destiny in the face.

Good Comedy! This film is not for everyone: it has no stars and the comedy is very strange. But give it a chance and you will not regret it. The directing and editing of the film is both stylish and fast paced. Andy Samberg is hilarious as always but the supporting cast truly shines, particularly Bill Hader, Will Arnett and Ian McShane. If you love the SNL digital shorts this movie is for you. Hot Rod is destined to be a cult comedy classic.

Rod Kimble is a naf, a slacker living in a small US town with his mom, his younger brother, and his stepfather whose respect he craves. He also misses his dead dad, whom he thinks was Evel Knievel's back-up. Rod, a man-child, believes that he is a stunt man. When his stepfather needs an operation, with help from his brother and his slacker pals, Rod hatches a plan to set a school-bus-jumping record on his moped. First, his crew and he have to raise money to rent the buses and build the ramp. Trouble is, Rod's inept at his chosen career. Looming failure is complicated by the return of Denise, Rod's next-door neighbor and secret heartthrob, who is home from college. Is public humiliation at hand?
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 2, 2007
Oh man, how it boggles my mind to think that they got so many talented people to be a part of this.

Rod Kimble is a delusional, would be stuntman who dreams of the big time, but generally fails to do anything substantial or remarkable. Badgered on by his abusive stepfather, Rod finally gets his stuff together to organize a major stunt on the level of someone like Evel Kievel.

I think this would have worked better as a short than as a feature. It's pretty silly, ridiculous, and lame, and not really that good, but...but...it is surprisingly funny and amusing...more than once even.

In that regard it is like Step Brothers. It's a bad movie, but it gets a pass for somehow being funny and mildly entertaining more than it has any right to be. It's supremely silly, but if you are in the mood for something like that, then I guess it would be fine.
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 20, 2011
Rod Kimble: Who wants to see me do a big-ass stunt?

"Smack Destiny In The Face"

Hot Rod is a weird, weird movie. I don't see a target audience for a film like this. I always just assumed it was a family movie, but after watching it, I found out it is really geared more towards teenagers. The thing is, I can't see how any teenager would really want to watch this and I know most adults would find this as idiotic and unfunny as I did. So without an audience, you're going to fail and that's exactly what I view Hot Rod as... a failure.

Rod Kimble is a twenty something, amateur stunt man. He basically does his own stunts with his crew, which always lead to pain and no success. When his stepfather, who he hates, is dying; he decides to try to put a jumpy together and raise the money to save him. Not because he loves him, but he wants to beat the shit out of him and he needs him alive to do so. The jump he will be attempting is 15 buses and he needs to raise $50,000 in doing so.

This is one of those comedies that believes that long, no content dialogue and characters that occasionally talk weird and do stupid shit are funny. They aren't. Andy Sandberg is annoying as fuck as Rod, and that writing that supports his character couldn't be much more annoying either.

I would highly recommend skipping this one. It's boring, hard to sit through, tedious, stupid, and terribly done. I could see it distracting a 6 year old, but other than that, it's really more work than joy when you sit down to watch this one.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
Frequently funny but lacking any true comedy punches. Full review later.
Sam B

September 1, 2012
Consistently hilarious in that random SNL Digital Short way, yet completely insubstantial and forgettable, Hot Rod comes out to be a weightless but undeniably entertaining comedy.
Dean !

May 19, 2012
It's fairly lame, how did Isla Fisher get mixed up in this? A few mild laughs but not much. It's a bit like Jackass but with a silly plot to go with it.
axadntpron
axadntpron

April 4, 2010
A breath of fresh air in the comedy genre which has lately seen its fair share of movies overwrought with gross out gags. While this film doesn't reinvent the wheel, it is a delight to watch if you are bored on a thursday night. While it does drag in some parts and has many moments so stupid that one cannot force themselves to laugh, the majority of the film will leave you with a smile on your face.
Lucas M

November 13, 2011
Hot Rod, have everything to be a good comedy film, but Schaffer's picture, present just a few funny scenes, become very silly and nothing funny, the dumb screenplay just get worse, what make a bad start for The Lonely Island in the movies. Rotten.
Joshua W

October 27, 2011
One of the funniest and original films in the past decade. It is extreamly under-rateted and hasent been given the prober respect and praise it diserves. This film is 'Cool Beans'
jamers2011
jamers2011

September 10, 2011
Stupid. A few little funny moments scattered througout, but mostly just plain dumb. I love Isla Fisher though!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

November 25, 2007
Barely watchable and a lame excuse for a comedy. They should have chosen a better actor for the main role, because Andy Samberg just wasn't very funny, nor were 95% of the jokes and gags. It's a sad fact that the music was the only really good thing to be found here.
movieguru12
movieguru12

April 24, 2010
Absolutely 100% love this crazy and wacky comedy with the adorable Andy Samberg :) If you're a Andy Samberg fan definitely see this movie! :)
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 30, 2011
Hot Rod is a very surprising comedy that is fairly underrated. The film is not excellent, but it manages to bring on a few good laughs. The plot is very simple, and the acting is decent, nothing really good, or great. The gags are pretty and funny and the film is the type of comedy that you musn't take too seriously to enjoy. SNL's Andy Samburg plays Rod Kimble, an amateur stunt man who , well pretty much sucks. His attempts at stunts often end with embarrassing hilarious results. The film shows that you're able to create an effective comedy using a minimal plot with witty dialogue, and ridiculous scenes. Sometimes comedies that try to use similar formulas fail because they don't have the necessary energy. Hot Rod has that energy because though silly and stupid, it's characters are wacky and funny. At times the film is uneven, but what keeps the film going and entertaining is watching Rod humourously played by Samburg, attempts his stunts. Rod tries to raise money to save his step father from dying as he needs a heart transplant so that Rod can "kick his ass" for his respect, he plans on doing one big jump to raise the funds. The film is a lot of fun, and the fact that it's not a film that takes itself seriously makes it enjoyable. Hot Rod is a silly film with heart, a cheesy Hair Metal soundtrack by the band Europe and lots of stupid stunts. This is definitely a fun film to watch.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 25, 2011
I loved this movie. It had some of the most violent and hilarious scenes in film history. This movie was also one of the dumbest movies in film history, and was so dumb I couldn't tell if they were really trying anymore. This movie had me almost die of laughter, and I tell you what, this movie will be a cult classic.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

July 31, 2007
"I used to be legit. I was too legit. I was too legit to quit. but now I'm not legit. I'm unlegit. And for that reason, I must quit."

Self-proclaimed stuntman Rod Kimble is preparing for the jump of his life - to clear fifteen buses to raise money for his abusive stepfather Frank's life-saving heart operation.

REVIEW
For a fun, mindless and relaxing good time, check out "Hot Rod," one of those goofy, lowest-common-denominator slapstick comedies which won't do much to raise your IQ or make you a better person for having seen it, but which just might put a smile on your face - provided you're not too highbrow to give yourself over to it, that is.

Prime credit for the movie's success goes to SNL's powerhouse-of-energy Andy Sandberg, an immensely gifted physical comedian who doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves for his talents. Here he plays Rod Kimble, a developmentally-challenged wannabe daredevil who fancies himself the heir apparent to none other than the late great Evel Knievel himself. To that end, Rod devises elaborate stunts - usually involving jumping over large objects or a series of large objects on his secondhand moped - that invariably lead to his winding up face down in the dirt or smashed headlong into some massive immovable object. But you just can't keep a good stuntman down and, after every fall, Rod picks himself up, dusts himself off and, disregarding his bruised body and bruised ego, heads on to his next venture, eternally optimistic that this time he will be able to complete his mission. Rod's goal is to impress not only the pretty girl who lives next door (Isla Fisher) but his mucho macho step dad (Ian McShane) who thinks Rod is just a mollycoddled, cape-wearing pantywaist, undeserving of his respect.

Joining in the fun are fellow SNL stars, Bill Hader and Chris Parnell, along with "Arrested Development"'s Will Arnett and acting legend Sissy Spacek to class up the joint.

Replete with corny '80s-style musical montage sequences and some mighty impressive stunt work, "Hot Rod" will win you over with its good-natured dopiness and charm. And the good feeling that it engenders may even be worth those couple of brain cells you're sure to lose in the course of watching it.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
really stupid but really funny. B
Anthony L

June 10, 2010
Very pleasantly surprised! It's been a while since I've actually Lol-ed at a film. I noticed in the opening credits that it was produced by Will Ferrel and immediately I felt my heart sink, but although it feels like it should be one of his films and leading man Samburg has obviously been 'Inspired' by him, it's far funnier than anything he's ever done in my opinion. Ferrel is a selfish comedian, so in his absence everyone is given a fair crack of the comedy whip. Hot Rods greatest achievement, and a big reason why it works so well, is its brilliant direction. Some of the scenes are almost Ford-esque! (and a little Leone-ish). It's surreal editing is also very brave but brilliantly done. The cool beans scene was surreal, unexpected and all the more funny for it. A cross between Napoleon Dynamite and a really good version of Ricky Bobby (If you can imagine such a thing), a real below the radar comedy gem!
Summer W

August 19, 2007
It was pretty damned stupid, but so stupid it was funny. So hilarious in some parts, that I was literally crying with laughter. Andy Samberg is the next Will Ferrell.
Dan S

August 1, 2007
Took me by surprise. I enjoyed this movie, its a lot of hit-miss, but Samburg had some hilarious one-liners and its got some touches of "Napolean Dynamite" to it so you just can't help but love certain qualities of it. Definitely not for everyone, you'll either love or hate it, I for one really enjoyed it and I would definitely watch it again.