97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Hot Rod Reviews

August 29, 2014
It is more funny every time I watch it.
August 29, 2014
With just the right amount of silliness, Hot Rod has a good balance of story, character and satire. With some laugh out loud moments, it begs the question of whether the comedy trio involved are better off small scale or would benefit from more.
August 23, 2014
For those of you who don't know, the Lonely Island is a three-man comedic group who makes comedic music videos. You could have seen several of their digital shorts on Saturday Night Live, of which Andy Samberg is a star. I actually like their videos and find them funny. Here in Hot Rod, where two of them star and one of them directs, I find them noticeably less funny. This is actually a problem for many comedians and filmmakers who make the transition from shorter form to the longer form of a film. They are two different mediums, and as such there are different rules involved in each of them. The Lonely Island clearly has no idea what those rules are. There are countless jokes throughout Hot Rod, a comedy about Andy Samberg being a hopeless stuntman in the effort to raise 50,000 dollars, that seemed like it could have been funny had it been on one of their videos. However, I reiterate, this is a film. The careless disregard for plot or characters really cause most of the jokes to fall really flat. And there are numerous times throughout where they seem to have stopped making a film altogether and have forced one of their videos into the middle. So in the end Hot Rod is an undisciplined and sloppy mess that isn't nearly as funny as it could have been. It certainly as obnoxious or exhausting as it could have been, but you should be demanding a lot more from your comedic fare.
February 15, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
August 17, 2014
Andy Samberg is great fun as delusional stunman wannabe trying to raise money for his stepfather's heart operation. The abundant, painful looking slapstick is very amusing, while most of the supporting cast, and even some bit roles, genuinely contribute to the laugh-o-meter by being extremely silly.
August 1, 2014
I love this movie, not in an ironic way. I just do. Screw the tomatometer.
August 4, 2007
One of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
July 18, 2014
Spontaneously funny and entertainingly irreverent, Hot Rod is a well-made comedy in a vintage SNL style.
July 18, 2014
Hilarious and one of a kind.
January 14, 2008
Samberg does what Samberg does. If that's your thing, you may find this surprisingly enjoyable on a lazy afternoon. As far as lowbrow comedies go, you could do worse. Is that an endorsement..? There is SOME heart to it, and I suppose it helps to have Isla Fisher thrown in. Oh, and it's relatively short. That definitely helped. Definitely. For fans of these actors only.
December 1, 2009
I've been looking for a while to find a guilty pleasure movie that can sit alongside National Treasure.

I think I've finally found it. :P
June 27, 2014
This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!
It blows away gravity!
June 22, 2014
Despite being sloppy and silly in its delivery, Hot Rod is still a funny film with a triumphant final act.
June 9, 2014
Stupid but kind of funny.
February 15, 2014
"Hot Rod" is dumb, over-the-top, and random and it knows it. If you can get behind this type of humor, it's absolutely hilarious.
May 23, 2014
Not my type of humour
May 18, 2014
An overlooked bit of screwball comedy from the members of The Lonely Island and a few of their mid-2000 SNL cohorts. Andy Samberg grabs the lead as the titular Rod, a misguided but confident would-be stuntman whose efforts always climax in a spectacular disaster. Rod is about as one-dimensional as any recurring sketch comedy character, which is to say he's got one note to play and he milks it like a rancher with idle hands. Along for the ride, Bill Hader, Danny McBride (playing, surprise, another version of Kenny Powers), Ian McShane (grievously underused) and a white-hot Isla Fisher, are even narrower. After five minutes you'll know exactly how it's going to play out. This kind of movie isn't usually about character development, though, and as a playground for comedians to wear silly t-shirts and frequently cut away to questionably-related asides, it's suitable enough. Good for a few loud howls, but it lacks consistency, substance and identity. Its greatest sin is taking a decent gag and riding it wayyyy too long, a'la Family Guy's most indulgent moments. In short, it's precisely how the trailer makes it seem: really, really stupid. Points for an excellent butt rock / hair metal soundtrack, though.
May 17, 2014
A wanna be stunt man who decides to do a big ass stunt to raise 50,000 $ for his step father's heart transplant. He only does this because he wants his step father to live healthy so that he can kick his ass everyday. :D

Hahhaha cool stuff.
May 4, 2014
Suositellaan katsottavaksi lievästi humalaisessa tai krapulaisessa seurassa.