RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Hotel Transylvania and Seven Psychopaths

Summary

This week on home video, Adam Sandler plays an animated Dracula, and Colin Farrell reunites with his In Bruges director for another Certified Fresh winner. Then we've got a couple of horror movies -- one bad and one decent -- and an action dud from the guy who made JCVD. Plus, there are a few noteworthy reissues to talk about, so click through for the full list! Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Seven Psychopaths" is the clear priority here, although I'd like to check out "Awakening" as well. I don't really feel the need to upgrade the blu-rays, but "Duellists" is a great film for anyone who hasn't caught it yet.

Jan 28 - 05:11 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

back on the BIG SCREEN IN 35MM -Sean Connery is BACK as JAMES BOND on THE BIG SCREEN (waaaaaay better than any BluRay or DVD experience) : DR. NO (April 5th), FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE (April 12th) , GOLDFINGER (April 19th), DONNIE DARKO- THE DIRECTOR'S CUT (March 9th and March 14th) ---ONLY AT CORNELL CINEMAS. you can sit around at home watching DVDs and BLURAYS or you can come see GREAT MOVIES IN 35MM . . .

Jan 28 - 06:44 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

We have one theater here that shows independent movies and sometimes, in 35mm, classics like DR. No. The next one is 2,000 miles away. I envy your NY amenities.

Jan 28 - 11:47 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

You mean I was a junior in high school . . . 25 YEARS AGO!!!!!! no way --Die Hard felt like the first of its kind. I saw it three times- Twice at the Granite Run Mall in Media, Pennsylvania and the third time at the City Line Theater on on the border of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. with Die Hard it felt like the bullets were exploding right at me, the sound quality was very good.

Hotel Transylvania is by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro why COLUMBIA DESTROYED it is beyond me. HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA synopsis: The classic tale that introduced the legendary Le Comte de Saint-Germain, first published in 1978 and spawning 14 titles in the Saint-Germain epic, is now available in paperback. A fixture in 1740s Parisian society, Saint-Germain is a perfect gentleman--and a vampire. When the fiery young Madeline falls in love with him, a group of evil sorcerers targets her for their black mass--and only Saint-Germain can save her soul.

Leave it to Columbia Studios to Wreck a movie -- Ms. Yarbro's novel serves as excellent source material and some studio executive at Columbia decides to make it an Adam Sandler vehicle. Let's pour gasoline on Columbia DVDs and Blu Rays and set them on fire to "send a message" and "make a statement"

Jan 28 - 05:59 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Hotel Transylvania is not like Le Comte de Saint-Germain, Hotel Transylvania is about a young vampire named Mavis who's tired of living in a old hotel and wants to escape despite her father, Dracula's rule. However when a young HUMAN named Johnathan shows up at the hotel, Dracula must prevent him from falling in love with his daughter. See the difference?

Jan 28 - 08:58 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Nothing new this week, but I'll buy Hotel Transylvania. Still, one of the best animated movies of 2012.

Paranormal Activity 4 = I'd wish, but I hope they don't screw up the 5th film. This Activity franchise needs to be retired. Pass.

I can't wait for the new Die Hard film, I'll buy the original version. Does it have digital copy?

Jan 28 - 06:34 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jan 28 - 06:44 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jan 28 - 11:47 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Don't hate me for saying this, but I liked Hotel Transylvania. It was fine for a kiddie animated monster movie (though no where near as good as ParaNorman or Frankenweenie). I think I'll pick up Transylvania on DVD only. Seven Psychopaths sounds interesting but I'll take a pass or rent (no award buzz on it that I've heard of). The Cold Light of Day and PA4 sound like garbage.

Jan 28 - 08:28 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Just watched PARANORMAN and loved it, although I will never, ever again pay money for anything Adam Scamdler is involved in.

Jan 28 - 08:50 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

I hate Adam Sandler's films in general. Anything staring Adam Sandler in a live action role (even EIGHT CRAZY NIGHTS was awful and he was just voicing) is complete crap and I will NEVER pay to see one of his films again. Hotel Transylvania on the other hand, is directed by Genndy Tartakovsky who's a master at cartooning and Adam Sandler's accent for his role doesn't even sound like him so this is one of my only exceptions.

Jan 28 - 09:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I really enjoyed Sandler's early work, unfortunately ever since Little Nicky and the odd attempt at an Indie film he's never grown as a performer. That said, he still has about the same success rate as Nicholas Cage, without the financial hardships.

Jan 28 - 09:26 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

That's funny: I didn't recognize Hugh Grant's voice AT ALL for THE PIRATES.

Jan 28 - 09:50 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Unless Paul Thomas Anderson directs Sandler again, right?

Jan 29 - 12:27 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Even PDL I didn't care for, certainly not as much as MAGNOLIA or BOOGIE NIGHTS.

Jan 29 - 07:32 AM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Hotel Transylvania didn't look that good to me but a lot of my friends saw it and told me that they enjoyed it. It looks entertaining so I'll rent it. Seven Psychopaths looks great so I'd like to see that. I tempted to watch Paranormal Activity 4 just for that cute-as-hell girl but I'll pass.

Jan 28 - 08:32 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Jan 28 - 08:50 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Jan 28 - 09:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 28 - 09:26 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

That's funny: I didn't recognize Hugh Grant's voice AT ALL for THE PIRATES.

Jan 28 - 09:50 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Unless Paul Thomas Anderson directs Sandler again, right?

Jan 29 - 12:27 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Even PDL I didn't care for, certainly not as much as MAGNOLIA or BOOGIE NIGHTS.

Jan 29 - 07:32 AM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Jan 28 - 08:58 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

My rentals this week will be for SEVEN PSYCHOPATHS & THE AWAKENING, as they both have real actors in their casts. Adam Scamdler can kiss my ass: I refuse to pay to see any of his films, yet I refuse to see HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA even for free; I've been telling people to just re-rent Mel Brooks' YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN instead.

As for PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 4, all you have to do is watch the Half in the Bag review (http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-sinister-and-paranormal-activity/) and watch Jay & Mike rip this retarded series a new asshole. I laugh at anyone who actually paid to watch rich white people homes in Southern California for 90 minutes with minimal dialogue and pathetic "jump scares." Of course, thanks to those idiots we now have to deal with PA5.

Jan 28 - 09:04 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is classic my man.

Jan 28 - 09:08 PM

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

Mohd Syafiq Bin Jabaruddin

The key to enjoying PA4 is to think of it as a comedy. Then, it suddenly becomes one of 2012's funniest films. Although in a year with That's My Boy, it's not hard.

21 Jump Street is still the pinnacle of 2012 comedies, though.

Jan 29 - 12:29 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Negative: GOON is the best comedy of 2012, hands down!

Jan 29 - 07:31 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

GOON! FANTASTIC! Also I disagree about PA4 as a comedy. IT was waaaay to borring and all the jokes fell flat. Seriously for someone that has enjoyed Paranormal Activity movies this one was so awful and bland. So Disappointed. I just wish they weren't making it up as they go along but still trying to create a coherent story. You can't have both!! Make it up as you go along or have a story!

Jan 30 - 05:40 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Jan 28 - 09:06 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 28 - 09:26 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

That's funny: I didn't recognize Hugh Grant's voice AT ALL for THE PIRATES.

Jan 28 - 09:50 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is classic my man.

Jan 28 - 09:08 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

Hotel Transylvania actually looks decent so most likely I'll buy that. Definitely buying Seven Psychopaths. I heard it was one of the better films released this year. I'll pass on Paranormal Activity 4 since it looks like crap and I have no interest in the franchise.

Jan 28 - 09:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 28 - 09:26 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

That's funny: I didn't recognize Hugh Grant's voice AT ALL for THE PIRATES.

Jan 28 - 09:50 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

No mention of "White Zombie" coming out on BR?
Definitely gonna pic up "Seven Psychopaths". One of my faves of the year.
Might also pick up the Die Hard collection because I still haven't upgraded them.

Jan 28 - 09:52 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

White Zombie!! Terribly good classic.

Jan 28 - 11:51 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

This.

Jan 31 - 11:19 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday