Hours

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 2, 2013
Every second counts.

Great final Film to an Excellent Actor!!! This film amazed me as I am not normally into this genre. I went in not expecting anything really but by the end I was captivated and really cheering Paul Walker on. Paul Walker does an amazing job and he made the film for me, his emotion and grit shone through. By the end I found myself emotionally attached to the story and really immersed in the story. This is a survival story above all and I applaud Paul Walker in his role. May he Rest in Peace!

A father struggles to keep his infant daughter alive in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
Jeffrey M

March 16, 2014
Though sometimes melodramatic and not entirely unfamiliar, Hours succeeds at being an affecting drama, recounting one man's experience in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Set in 2005, the film follows a soon-to-be-widowed man, left to care for his infant daughter, being stabilized only via a ventilator, in the midst of one of the greatest natural catastrophes to hit the country.

As the story itself is rather confined, centering entirely on Nolan Hayes (played by Paul Walker), and his efforts to rescue his daughter, its' success as a narrative and as a film overall is very much hinged on Walker's performance. This, to be sure, is the biggest surprise of the film, finding a much more dramatically nuanced Walker than in his previous exploits, with an affecting presence, relentless tenacity, and calmness under pressure which is perfect for the role.

The film itself does a good job of using the hurricane as a backdrop, incorporating the very real realities of what went on (ex. sniper fire, abandoned hospitals, looting), without losing sight of the film's central focus. There is, of course, a number of moments which feel a bit too over-dramatized, and we get a sense quickly of where the story will end up.

Yet the film's earnestness is never called in to question, resulting in a film that never ceases to be engaging.

3.5/5 Stars
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

December 30, 2013
This film is set during the period of Hurricane Katrina, in 2005, the year post-hardcore band Funeral for a Friend released their album "Hours", while David Bowie's "'Hours...'" was reissued with a second disc that was plagued with remixes, so doesn't this film remind us of enough horrifying tragedies without starring Paul Walker? Shoot, it's easy to get this film confused with 2002's "[u]The[/u] Hours", which was itself kind of depressing, so this film is all kinds of downputting with its reminders, yet the producers can at least be happy that this film is going to get a whole lot more attention than plenty of other thrillers this low in profile, even if that attention is coming through morbid curiosity. I understand that this film gets its title from the amount of time Walker's character has to wait to see if his newborn child will survive in an incubator that runs low on power while Katrina is outside messing some stuff up, but the title is most fitting because it practically came out mere hours after Walker died. Yeah, maybe a joke, even one that light, about this situation is a little unnerving at this time, but hey, I've already heard some jerks say "Fast and Furious 6 Feet Under" and that Walker went from "Fast and Furious" to "Gone in 60 Seconds". Some people just have no self-control, like you jerks out there who are chuckling a little bit right now, confident that no one knows that it's over those Paul Walker jokes. Seriously though, folks, Walker was taken from us "2 Fast 2 Soon"-I mean, too soon (I've also heard someone make that joke already anyways; you're dirtbags, the lot of ya!), and only now do we realize that he actually did have some genuine talent to him. Well, to be fair, this film helps, and yet, as good as Walker is, or rather, was in it, this film unnerves with more than just reminders of disturbing events.

All but to my surprise, the film is never all that bland, let alone dull, but it is sometimes a little too thoughtful for its own good, with a steady atmosphere behind intentionally draggy material gnawing at momentum of the film until it ultimately falls into, maybe not considerable blandness, but a fair deal of repetition. At least as writer, Eric Heisserer's struggle to find material to keep up the hour and thirty-seven minutes, just as Paul Walker's Nolan Haynes character struggles to keep up the hours, is generally comfortable, yet there are still plenty of aimless moments, and that's blanding enough when you take out of account how much of the material that is being forced in is formulaic. It's hard to make a story like this refreshing, but the film tries in certain places, and that makes its easier to notice the places in which the film doesn't try as much as it should to put a twist on things, and succumbs to tropes that dilute much of the drama's weight, especially when those tropes prove to be manipulative ones. This is a generally genuine film that sustains subtlety longer than one might expect, but for only so long before slipping into dramatic devices that range from somewhat forced thriller set pieces to a touch too much emphasis on dramatic bite with the meditative atmosphere, and can at least be respected for trying to flesh out intrigue. Yes, the film is sometimes slow and manipulative, and it's consistently very formulaic, yet natural shortcomings are what really do damage here, because even though the dramatic plot is worthy, it's minimalist, relying on steady conflicts, rather than all that much intensity, but still holding a potential to be really effective that would be satisfied if the film was more consistent with matching ambition with inspiration. As things stand, as much as the film tries to and, for that matter, succeeds in crafting an effective drama, only so much can be done to charge this promising effort on paper, without all of the conventions and issues in pacing and subtlety that the interpretation brings into play. What you ultimately end up with is an underwhelming, maybe even kind of forgettable film, but it is not nearly as misguided as I feared it would be, bordering on genuinely rewarding, and getting there on the back of a genuineness that even extends to the film's musical style.

Even Benjamin Wallfisch's score is conventional, but it's not quite as trite as other formulaic, atmospherically dramatic scores of its nature, offering a fair deal of inspiration to light, softly intense stylization that is both aesthetically impressive and complimentary to the selling of an equally lightly intense narrative. Again, this story is too minimalist for its own good, as well as much too familiar for its own good, and yet, it's about as refreshing as it can be, as well as tasteful, offering a touch too much material, much of which is less manipulative and more tasteful with its meditative approach to both the affects of the unforgettable Hurricane Katrina, as well as a man's struggle to cope with dangers and loss as he struggles to survive and protect his child. This worthy subject matter is handled a little blandly, and occasionally with only so much subtlety, yet Eric Heisserer's script has its share of well-rounded, thoughtful elements, done justice by highlights in Heisserer's other storytelling performance. I can't say that I feel that Heisserer is as assured as he probably should in his meditative directorial storytelling, but where Heisserer could have almost consistently gotten too emphatic of should-be subtleties, momentum to storytelling is generally just intense enough to challenge dullness, while delicacy is prominent enough to absorb tonal impact, whether it be in the form of tension or resonance. Really, there's not a whole lot to praise here, and that, combined with natural shortcomings, make the final product decidedly underwhelming, but this effort really isn't as underwhelming as I feared it would be, as there is a certain inspiration that tries its hardest to grip, even if it's not as consistent with succeeding in that regard as Paul Walker. Look, people, let's be honest, I hope that Walker rests in peace and all, but he's been hit-or-miss in the past, and considering that this is more-or-less a one-man acting vehicle, I feared that Walker wasn't going to be as strong as he should be for a film of this type, let alone able to turn in the memorably strong final performance that all potentially talented performers want to go out on, but when it comes down to the wire, Walker goes well above my expectations by showing just how much he has fleshed out his skills throughout the course of a career that was all too recently cut much too short, utilizing a broad emotional range and layered presence to capture the gradual breaking of a man in a dangerous situation who can only focus on preserving the fragile life of a child, the only thing he has left after tragedy takes from him the beloved mother of his inspiration for persevering. While Walker is not given the material to be great, he is truly excellent, and I can't emphasize enough to people that I am by no means being influenced by Walker's tragic passing when I say that this is one of the better lead performances of 2013, complete with a subtlety and power that many of us didn't think Walker was capable of, and carries this film a long way, maybe not to the point of making a truly rewarding minimalist drama, but certainly to the point of playing a big part in making this a decent film that is better than I expected, even if it's still far from the best it can be.

When time is up, the final product sputters out as relatively underwhelming under the weight of some slow spells and subtlety lapses, plenty of conventions, and a considerable deal of natural shortcomings, though not as deeply as I feared it would, as there is enough tastefulness to scoring, writing and direction to the telling of a worthy, if minimalist story, and inspiration to Paul Walker's excellent lead performance to make Eric Heisserer's "Hours" a pretty engaging and sometimes gripping dramatic thriller, in spite of the shortcomings, both consequential and natural.

2.75/5 - Decent
PantaOz
PantaOz

December 3, 2013
This upcoming movie was described to me as the latest thriller directed and written by Eric Heisserer. Sadly, that there was nothing good (except, maybe, Génesis Rodríguez) in it to thrill me. It was just a melodrama which had elements of survival story to fool us into believing that something like this is possible. The film stars Paul Walker, Génesis Rodríguez, TJ Hassan, and Judd Lormand. The only reason why this will be remembered is that this is Walker's last film. Two weeks prior to the film's release, Walker died in a car accident in Los Angeles, California on November 30, 2013.

The film is set in 2005, during the ravages of Hurricane Katrina. Nolan (Paul Walker) is in the hospital with his wife who is ready to give birth five weeks before she was due. But, she dies... In disbelief, the father of a newborn baby stays in shock. What should be one of the happiest days of Nolan's life quickly spirals out of control during the wake of a Hurricane that floods the hospital and causes failures in the power supply, Nolan faces a life-or-death situation when no one returns to help and struggles on his own to keep his infant daughter alive inside a Neonatal ventilator, as minute-by-minute passes, the ventilator runs out of power and the minutes become long hours. Literally! I, thought that this movie is longer than three hours, that was how it felt (my copy was 1 h 36 minutes). I just wanted to be over.

Someone noticed that "an ingeniously simple setup is cunningly exploited for maximum suspense...", and that is true - but the type of that suspense was such that created annoyance rather than excitement. Film Critic Steve Pulaski of Influx Magazine stated, "Hours works because, once more, it proves a little story can go a long way thematically and that bigger, deeper themes can surface when there's small-scale filmmaking at hand...", and the only excuse for him would be writing this that he was so high that didn't really see what was happening on the screen.

Nothing in there which should attract an attention of a film lover.
February 18, 2014
This is arguably Paul Walker at its best, probably his brutal and dramatic role to date, and yet also his final film before he die last year. Out of few films that came out just last year about one human survival adventure like Gravity and All is Lost, this should belong to those stories. The movie's message is about how strong and courageous Nolan is, he never lets go of anything, and you see he goes back to that machine to crank it up to continue working it if you know what I mean, that's just pure realism to it, no humor or gimmick, just straight acting. There are moments where Walker's character tries to remember his past with his wife and that's an homage to Gravity and how he must deal with his own, that's All is Lost. Other than that, I think you shouldn't miss this one, other single fathers in the world should be inspired to this unique story. A must see, and always remember, RIP Paul Walker!
FilmGrinder S.
April 15, 2014
78%

"Stupid machine."-Nolan Hayes (Paul Walker)
April 15, 2014
Great movie very griping
April 12, 2014
Hours tells the tale of a father stranded in a hospital after the events of hurricane Katrina. There's not much in terms of plot that could be done with such a premise, but admiration can be had for how tense the movie tries to be. However a lot of the time, it never attains the level of intensity it desires. The movie tries to make up for this by involving violence and some random action sequences but truth be told, the movie would have been better off without them. Paul Walker (rest his soul), gives the performance of his lifetime as it's mainly him on screen for most of it. While usually he adopts characters that are in action movies, its an interesting turn of events to see him play this emotional character, far less, a emotional father caring after his daughter. I thought that he might be too stiff but surprisingly he showcased a range of emotions from tears of joy to depression. These scenes are coupled with flashback scenes between him and his wife, who have a lot of chemistry on screen. He really carries the movie and while the plot never really goes anywhere and has a cliche ending, you stay simply for Walker's amazing performance. He's not going to win an oscar for it, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate it. They use actual footage from katrina, which helps the authenticity of the movie, but they never really put it to good use and they never really show you other places so you feel trapped in the hospital for the movie. Most of the movie is just the emotional journey Walker's character goes through while his daughter's on the incubator. This kind of story either people will like or hate it, depending on what type of movies you like. For me, who loves story, it was good. Job well done, Mr. Walker. 6.5/10
April 9, 2014
This movie is a great example of what a great actor Paul Walker was...so sad he was gone so early!!
April 5, 2014
This movie is lived up to its name and turned minutes into hours
March 31, 2014
Probably Paul Walkers best performance.
March 26, 2014
Paul Walker really proves his acting abilities in this character driven thriller with an intriguing premise. However, the execution falls short at times and inconsistencies and conveniences sort of take away from the experience. The flashback's work very well in the way the story is pieced together and you can't help but root for the protagonist and care for him. A compelling watch thanks to a great leading act and interesting premise with the occasional thrill.
March 24, 2014
I went into "Hours" expecting a drama. What I got was a father's intense, white-knuckle race against time to keep his newborn daughter alive against all odds. Even with its occasional misfires, with every passing hour it gets more exciting. Paul Walker is at his best.
December 13, 2013
Hours is actually a surprise treat mainly because it features perhaps one of Paul Walker's most intense and magnetic performances! Telling the story of a man's fight to keep his newborn child alive in an apocalypse-like environment, Eric Heisserer's directional debut hits home on a far more personal level, and it makes you just wanna root for the main star of this grim dark story!
March 22, 2014
Nao é facil passar 80% do tempo de filme a actuar sozinho mas o Paul Walker safou-se bem!!
Jeffrey M

March 16, 2014

3.5/5 Stars
March 12, 2014
With great potential, although lacking with heart only to rotate in a plot device that is a baby. Watch out folks, this isn't as action-packed as it looks like. Which is, something you would expect from Paul Walker. Tsk.
March 12, 2014
Not flawless. It lacked variety and felt too long even at 1 hr. 37 min, but definitely a solid performance from Walker and quite gripping.
March 8, 2014
Good movie it started to drag a little in the middle but had a good ending