33% The Other Woman Apr 25

—— Suburgatory: Season 3

House at the End of the Street Reviews

Cynthia S

April 14, 2013
3 3/4's--Really good actors, and an interesting and provocative thriller. Jennifer Lawrence is a strong lead who doesn't disappoint. I enjoyed the plot twist, and I have to admit that it had me fooled for quite awhile. Not sure why the critics hated it so much....
boxman
boxman

May 22, 2013
As readers will attest, I am a fan of actress Jennifer Lawrence. Some of my pals might say limiting the word to "fan" is being too modest on my part, but I don't want to alarm anyone. I think she's a terrifically talented actress and her Best Actress Oscar was well deserved for a film I unabashedly adore. With all of this being said, good actors can still make really bad movies, and that's what we have with the stillborn horror flick, House at the End of the Street, referred to by marketing by the Twitter-friendly acronym HATES. That seemed like a tip-off, didn't it? The problem is that for a good hour this movie is more of a drama than a horror movie, and everyone in town seems to be jerks to this guy in town whose sister murdered his family. Apparently him still residing in town lowers their property values... for some reason. I think it wants to be a psychological thriller, but even giving it that much credit assumes there's some degree of competent execution. It's not scary, the twists should be easily telegraphed to anyone with a modicum of sense, and Lawrence's presence is just downright questionable. Why did she agree to do this? What about this clunky script, with its obvious padding to its "shocking" revelation, appealed to this woman? And at PG-13, there are not really any optimal exploitation elements to recommend. I suppose with her fast ascent to the top of Hollywood, Lawrence now has the clout to never again star in something as drecky as this would-be thriller. Then again, if she does, it'll be by choice. Or a fat paycheck.

Nate's Grade: C-
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 13, 2013
Ryan: People don't notice all the secrets around them. Even though they're right in front of them, just hiding, waiting to be found.

"Fear Reaches Out... For The Girl Next Door"

House at the End of the Street is nothing new, and seems like much more of a thriller than a horror film. What makes this movie watchable is what I assumed would make the movie watchable; and that's Jennifer Lawrence. Initially, I was really excited about this film. A horror film that has Jennifer Lawrence on board. The negative reviews ruined my excitement though and it took awhile for me to finally give this a chance. Now that I have, I'm left feeling a little disappointed in the movie as a whole, but Lawrence made it worth the viewing.

Alyssa and her mother have just moved to a new town. They already know about the house beside them. Four years ago, a girl killed her parents in that house and now her brother who was sent away at the age of seven lives there by himself. Soon Alyssa befriends Ryan(the neighbor), and begins to kindle a bond and relationship with him. This scares her mother into forbidding her to see him, which only makes a teenage girl want the guy that much more. So who's right, Alyssa or her mother?

Like I said, Jennifer Lawrence is the sole reason why I wouldn't call this an utter failure. She is extremely beautiful and just downright sexy, but that's  not even the main attraction. The main attraction is her acting. Everyone at this point knows she is one of the best up and coming actresses out there. It just doesn't hurt any that she is by far the most gorgeous also.

House at the End of the Street has a familiar story, with familiar twists throughout. The performances besides Lawrence's are average at best. The movie does have some cool camera work to help with the atmosphere, but it lacks in true suspense. I can't say I hate the movie, but it definitely is missing a lot of key elements to make it a good horror/thriller genre film.
Dean !

February 28, 2013
I wouldn't class this as a Horror, if you're expecting one and that might expect some of the low ratings. A 12a rating is another sign normally. This is definitely more of a thriller in the mould of Disturbia, Rear Window. Jennifer Lawrence can do no wrong at present and is very good in this. The twist(s) are pretty good, if a little easy to predict, but it still makes for an interesting film. You can tell they thought about the overall visual look of the film as well, it has some cool making of features to.
Carlos M

March 24, 2013
Generic, derivative and stupid Psycho rip-off that doesn't mind insulting the viewer's intelligence all the way through, throwing in a ridiculous twist that makes no sense and making it more than evident that no one involved gave a crap about it.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

March 29, 2012
House at the End of the Street wasn't very good. I liked the performances from Shue, Lawrence, and Thieriot, but the script is what killed it. It just wasn't what I was hoping for which was a good thriller. I need new material movie people. I am running out of patience with seeing recycled stories played over and over again. Wow how original for a young hot blond to enter a creepy basement and unlock a locked door and think gee wow this is safe and not creepy at all. These films need to be smarter and with less cliche choices, but with more unpredictable moments. Ok, rant over.
skactopus
skactopus

February 20, 2013
Mark Tonderai's House at the End of the Street does very little to impress.For a 90 minute story, this so called thriller goes for the slow buildup approach. The problem is the life is sucked out before the plot even thickens. There is a lot of predictability and sure there is a twist near the end, but it isn't enough to make up for the journey to get there.The tension and suspense level is at a minimum. The violence is slim to none and the scares all arrive with the effective "jump scare" tactic.Jennifer Lawrence is good for what she is asked to do, which really isn't much. Max Thieriot is dull, although that seems to fit his character. The rest of the cast fills out the plot as needed.House at the End of the Street doesn't offer a whole lot on the table, thus leading to an unfulfilling watch.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

September 15, 2012
two stars
Josh L

January 29, 2013
I really had no reason to enjoy this. It's poorly written, performed (minus Jennifer Lawrence, I'll get to that in a moment), and the plot is been there done that material. It's not even remotely scary and has very little suspense for a so called horror film. The characters continually do dumb things to keep the plot going and the final twist is a complete rip-off of Psycho. All this said, I still found it entertaining. I don't know what it was, I might have been in the right mood, but this film breezed by like nothing. Jennifer Lawrence has proven she is a great actress and a rising star and there's nothing here to derail her career. She gives by far the best performance and even makes it watchable at spots. She couldn't carry it on her own, though, and Max Thieriot was clearly out of his element here. I'll gladly watch Jennifer Lawrence in almost anything, but this is definitely the worst movie she has starred in. I don't know how she got involved with a horror movie after already being nominated for an Oscar a couple years ago. Most actors/actresses star in horror movies at the beginning of their career to start out, or after their stock has slowed down significantly and they need work. She is clearly neither. I can't recommend this, but I did enjoy watching it.
Everett J

January 18, 2013
Jennifer Lawrence has quickly become one of my favorite young actresses today. She has made some great movies, and just shows crazy potential for the future. But, everyone makes a movie or two that isn't quite up to par, and this is the movie for her. This is a thriller, that tries to be a couple different things, and never really goes far enough, and just settles for PG-13 mediocre. Basic synopsis is a girl(Lawrence) and her mother(Elizabeth Shue) move into a house down the street from a house where a murder took place. The son of the parents who were murdered still lives there, and he quickly becomes friends with Lawrence. From there, secrets are revealed, weird things happen, and people are who they seem to be. Pretty standard movie, that has a couple good moments, but there are so many movies out there like this, and done much better. Fans of thriller should give it a watch, but keep expectations low. Lawrence does good, but she has done so much better. But then again, those movies were all so much better.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 7, 2013
Fear reaches out... for the girl next door.

Good thriller! Very entertaining and kept my attention throughout. There's no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence makes this movie. She's really great with a very bright future. If you're a Jennifer Lawrence fan or love Criminal Minds/Law and Order SVU, check this movie out. If you're looking for a haunted house movie, you've clicked on the wrong flick.

Newly divorced Sarah and her daughter Elissa find the house of their dreams in a small, upscale, rural town. But when startling and unexplainable events begin to happen, Sarah and Elissa learn the town is in the shadows of a chilling secret.
Jason R

December 7, 2012
Test to see if this breaks
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 10, 2012
Using the same old tired out horror formula that we've seen many times before; House at the end of the Street, along with Smiley is among the worst horror film this year. This is a pitiful attempt at trying to deliver an effective horror film. Instead of being scary, it just ends up being boring, dull, uninspired garbage that is definitely not worth your time. The film uses elements from other better films, and in the end, it's just a dull flick with a wasted good lead actress. The film is so poorly constructed that it doesn't do anything to try and thrill the viewer. This is a failure as a horror film, and it relies far too much on clichés to try and build its horror, tension and suspense, that there is no payoff to the film whatsoever. This is a lazy attempt at horror, and everything the filmmakers try to do with its material fails to do something exciting. I hated the film, and thought that this was a film that should never have been made because this is one of those films that we've seen many times before. The film tends to rely on cheap jump scares that really doesn't work, and in the end you're more in a state of sleepiness because there's nothing entertaining going on-screen. If you love horror films, avoid this, this is truly one of the most unoriginal films in the genre this year, and if you're expecting something effective in scare delivery, you'll be sadly disappointed. Everything with this film is predictable, and there are no scares to be had. Director Mark Tonderai clearly doesn't understand how to craft a solid horror picture, thus House at the End of the Street suffers greatly from a poor script and poor directing. Don't watch this one as it is truly a predictable film from start to finish.
Liam G

October 7, 2012
Dumb plot, dumb scares and unsure of what it wants to be. I still love you Jennifer, good on you for not promoting this piece of crap.
Pedro H

October 1, 2012
Fear reaches out... for the girl next door.

Not so far away from being good blvd.

Yes this is another hollywood horror story, but for some reason House at the End of the Street was able to keep me fully entertained. As for Mark Tonderai's first attempt in cliche hollywood terror, I am going to go easy on him and say he did a pretty decent job.

When Sarah (Shue) and her daughter Elissa (Lawrence) seek a fresh start in a new small suburb, it is not so late until they realize that a strange boy Ryan (Theriot) has been living in their next door house, the house of his assassinated parents.

The best thing about the House at the End of the Street has to be the character development. The movie starts of pretty fast in terms of spooks and horror, but its not until you are really driven by the plot that the characters reveal themselves. The beauty of this revelation is that slowly you start changing your opinions of each character, and the suspense is built upon figuring out who is good and who is bad. And this is a tough decision put entirely in the audiences hand. For that reason I think Mark Tonderai (who has bearly directed anything) has a good future in Hollywood.

Another thing that works for the movie is obviously the great acting from young Jennifer Lawrence, who just nails every role she gets - even though this one was similar to Katniss's role but just under different circumstances.

However, the movie is far from original and we have all seen this before. We know when to expect a spook. Yet, the twists in these movies are brilliant a true goosebumps film.

I enjoyed it, I doubt other people will enjoy it, but if you do let me know.

Elissa: I like the way you see things... I like the way you see me.
Tyler R

September 22, 2012
The title of this movie...so dumb. House at the End of the Street is about Jennifer Lawrence and her mom, Elisabeth Shue moving into a new house that happens to be next to a house where a little girl murdered her parents. The person who still lives in the house is the little girls brother. The little girl ends up being chained in the basement while the brother takes care of her and that's the movie. From the beginning I though this movie looked completely generic and never had hopes for it. The movie has elements of other notable horror movies and it just plays out as really unoriginal. But I was also pissed about how the movie feels like a teenage drama movie at times. The girl starts a relationship with the brother in the house and the director seemed to put more emphasis on the love aspect rather than the horror aspect. The parts where there are no horror are boring because the characters aren't interesting and the life of Jennifer Lawrence's character just drags on into scenes that don't go anywhere. The movie is very slow and there were scenes that were only a couple minutes long, but they felt like 20 minutes. Whenever there's a horror scene, it's still not entertaining because the movie is filled with horror cliches. Almost all the "scares" are just a bunch of jump scares that could be seen coming from a mile away. The cinematography is really weird too. It'll do that thing where it zooms in on an object and it just stays locked onto that object for what feels like 5 minutes. There are also parts where the camera is literally right up in the actors face. I'm aware that capturing the emotion of the character is a good technique for building suspense, but it doesn't help when the character's face is hidden in shadows like in this film. The movie has no suspense and the atmosphere is just dull. The only thing that prevented me from giving this movie only half a star was a plot twist near the end. There's a twist that I won't ruin for you, but it acually is pretty interesting. I didn't expect that certain twist to happen, so props for that, but it doesn't save the movie from sucking. House at the End of the Street is a really boring movie. A large majority of it feels like a teen romance movie, there's nothing scary that happens, the acting is poor, the ending didn't make any sense and the worst of it all is that the movie is just really boring and slow. This movie may suck, but the plot twist was better than anything M. Night Shamalamadingdong has come up with in the past 4 or 5 years.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

September 20, 2012
House at the End of the Street, the latest PG 13 teen horror movie, feels like a cross between the "Twilight" saga and perhaps "Psycho" (not that kids are going to know what Psycho is). Jennifer Lawrence and Elisabeth Shue star as a mother/daughter recently transplanted from Chicago to some backwood hick town. And when I say backwoods, I mean that literally, as the house they're renting is on the edge of a state park. Just over the hill and past a few trees lies the "House at the end of the street", or the place where 13 year-old Carrie Anne murdered both her parents before escaping off into the woods. Elissa (Lawrence) isn't too interested in the double murder ("People used to get shot on our street all the time"- she says), and would rather focus on playing the guitar and singing in a band. She goes to a party, meets a drunk girl (new BBFs!), and almost gets date raped by the jock that keeps making weird faces. Walking home, she's picked up by Ryan (Max Thieriot), brother of Carrie Anne and lone survivor of the double murder family. He's moved back to the old homestead and lives there all alone (where he watches sunsets and writes poetry, while brooding and probably pursing his lips all sexily or something). Around here it all devolves into some pseudo-romance movie where the two make aspirations to be the Bella/Edward "forbidden lovers" or something. Meanwhile, it turns out Carrie Anne might still be alive after all...

I'm sure there have been worse attempts at horror movies made, but House at the End of the Street still kind of feels like pandering. The twist ending might be lost on the twelve and thirteen year old girls who make up the target audience, and to anyone over the age of thirteen, you've probably seen it all before. Not very much fun, and kind of dumb, it's not worth the time or effort to watch it.
Shawn M

June 12, 2012
Yes, this is one of those films made for teenage girls who love mainstream scary movies... why did I think this would be great, I have no idea. Overall its just one of those films you just need to know what happens but at the end, you just don't care, and wish you didn't waste your time. Still an OKAY watch but yeh, bah hum bug
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

September 25, 2012
When a movie titled "House at the End of the Street" features neither a street nor a house located at the end of said street, you know the film-makers don't have much respect for their audience. The writer, David Loucka, shows equal disdain for the intelligence of his cardboard characters.
Lawrence becomes smitten with Thieriot despite the overwhelming evidence that he's harboring a deadly secret (a guy living alone with a baby monitor on his kitchen table?). She also falls for his incredibly cheesy seduction technique. When asked why he gets up before dawn he replies "I like to wake before everyone else, before the best thoughts of the day have been taken." Then there's the old "my favorite tree" routine where he somehow convinces her she can see a face in it's bark. Maybe I should wear glasses to the cinema as I certainly couldn't make out such features but then I've never seen the face of Jesus in my toast either. It seems if you act tortured and have dreamy eyes, teenage girls will fall for anything. "Twilight" has a lot to answer for.
For many years I thought of Hitchcock's "Psycho" as no more than an average thriller but I've come around to regard it as a classic, though admittedly nowhere near his best work. What brought me around? Sitting through a slew of awful imitations makes you realise just how well crafted it is. This movie borrows heavily from Hitchcock's, setting up Thieriot as a modern day Norman Bates. The problem is, unlike the 1960 film, this is completely devoid of suspense, pinning it's hopes on plot twists which you'll guess about four scenes before they occur. As is obligatory with this sort of unoriginal trash, we get an unimaginative finale involving a chase around a house. This sequence felt like it lasted thirty minutes and could have only been more cliched if the heroine had finished off the killer with a nail gun.
Don't let the marketing fool you, this is one property best left vacant.
Todd S

July 21, 2012
House at The End of The Street is another ambitious, low budget, Horror film, that tries to make a name for itself by using star power, but how much was I really expecting from a PG-13 Horror film? The story begins when Elissa and her mother move to a new house in the country, a house that is across the street from the scene of a grizzly double murder four years earlier. The house and story is surrounded by rumors and still occupied by the son of the victims, who Elissa quickly befriends. Once again we have a common theme that has been done to death, but the producers of this film were hoping that by spending big bucks on Jennifer Lawrence (Hunger Games) and Max Thieriot (Bates Motel) that they could get people to watch their film and it worked, but I suspect most people were sadly disappointing like I was. The acting was terrific and everything you would expect from these actors, but the story was so simple and predictable that it really wasn't worth watching. Being a PG-13 film didn't help either as there wasn't really anything too horrific or creepy to really catch your attention. If that wasn't bad enough, the first hour of the film was so slow, that I almost turned it off. The only thing that kind of gave me a laugh was that there was a lot of scenes with Jennifer Lawrence in the woods and I couldn't help but think that Katniss wished she had her bow. House at The End of The Street is a film that has the star power, but not much else, as it's a slow, tame, predictable film, that's been done and it leaves far too many unanswered questions. If you're a die hard Jennifer Lawrence fan, check it out, otherwise, I wouldn't waste my time on this one.