House of Voices - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Voices Reviews

November 23, 2014
The production design and cinematography are stunning and help create an eerie atmosphere along with the melancholy score, but the problem is that the script never makes the character's growing insanity and obsession any clear and turns out to be completely empty in the end.
½ June 2, 2011
It's has a story line that doesn't seem to make sense, but it's there. It is a film about an orphanage, but it doesn't compare with The Orphanage or The Devils Backbone. That's saying a lot, though. It has a disturbing ending. Don't let its bad reviews scare you away from taking a gander at the film.
½ December 24, 2014
The end result of Pascal Laugier's first feature is not a touch on what he would later achieve, but it is not a complete failure. Indeed, despite narrative and performance issues, this early effort still illustrates, in individual moments, a bold imagination and ability to genuinely unnerve us. We even here get an early indication that he likes to appear to be making one film, but actually be making another; fans of the later 'Martyrs' and 'The Tall Man' will see the early devious hallmarks. Owing something to 'The Shining' and 'The Devil's Backbone', whilst clearly paling by comparison to both, 'House of Voices' is worth a look, as long as one remembers Laugier would later become more slick and coherent in his style.
May 30, 2014
Veeeery confusing. Hard to keep entertained because there is barely any dialogue. Wouldn't recommend.
August 28, 2012
Pascal Laugier has directed one of the most effective movies I have seen recently, Martyrs. This is before that effort, and lacks a lot of explanations on certain aspects. I am NOT a fan of haunted house movies. This, however, kept my attention because of the solid performances, and the beautiful photography.
½ January 21, 2010
A very effective ghost film, though not nearly as much fun as Brotherhood of the Wolf. Creepy, subtle, beautifully shot and acted. The ending could have used a little more work -- or possibly explanation. But overall, fans of atmospheric ghost films will not be disappointed. AVOID THE DUBBED VERSION! See it in the original French with subtitles.
December 3, 2009
I really enjoyed the story of this film. The movie was also filmed in a more art or poetic type way. The cast was pretty good for the film. Lou Doillon was a good side character with a warped mind. The main character is played by Virginie Ledoyen. She keeps in character the whole time and is interesting to watch. Now like I said, this movie has a very interesting story and was fun to watch. But the scare factor was a little off. There were a few scenes that got me, but as many as you would expect from this type of movie. Especially since the film had ghosts of children. The movie was originally called Saint Ange and later re-released as House Of Voices, which in my opnion was a poor new title. I like the old title because it tells you nothing about the film, just where it takes place.
July 26, 2006
(** 1/2)

This film is not nearly as bad as people are saying. If you like ghost story movies, you'll like most of it but you'll still realize that it is not one of the better ones.
November 20, 2005
[font=Fixedsys]the crappiest movie i've seen all year on dvd. avoid at all costs.[/font]