House of Whipcord (Photographer's Models) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

House of Whipcord (Photographer's Models) Reviews

½ December 9, 2013
Opening with the words "This film is dedicated to those who are disturbed by today's lax moral codes and who eagerly await the return of corporal and capital punishment", it would be easy to assume that Pete Walker's 'House of Whipcord' is another example of the morally astray British sexploitation of the 70s, such an assumption, however, would be wrong. What is presented here isn't another entry in the typically formulaic 'women in prison' sub-genre, but instead a politically back dropped criticism of punishment via pain.

We follow Anne-Marie (Penny Irving), a French model who falls in love with a mysterious man called (wait for it) Mark E. Desade and agrees one weekend to meet his mother. Upon arrival it becomes apparent to Anne-Marie that this isn't a regular visit, and soon she finds herself captured in the only prison left that utilises capital punishment.

It's needless to say that this film is grim, lacking the sense of good time excitement that usually accompanies films in the exploitation genre, and replacing it with a grim world full of sour-faced prison wardens and obnoxiously unlikable characters. Walker paints a dark picture both hypothetically and literally (annoyingly some shots are so dark you can't tell what is happening), and builds a bleak atmosphere impressively, relying on the film's overarching tone rather then visual thrills.

Where the film falls apart is in its plot, which is tedious in places and descends into an extravaganza of continuity and plot issues the longer it goes on. Also on the downside is the presented acting, which ranges from absolutely awful to pretty bad. Despite its problem though 'House of Whipcord' somehow remains watchable for the extent of its runtime.
½ August 24, 2010
A notorious British shocker from the Seventies in which Barbara Markham runs a correctional institution for girls who have been let of lightly by the British courts. Usherette, I demand a refund!!! I only watched this because I thought it would be enjoyably awful and it turns out be tolerably well acted and directed. There's even suspense and a couple of nifty twists! This is an outrage!!! Joking aside, House of Whipcord isn't bad at all. The photography is very murky, making it difficult to see what is going on much of the time, particularly in the outdoor scenes, but with better production values it could have been a little gem. Mischievously, the movie is prefaced by a plea for the reinstatement of corporal and capital punishment and then proceeds to show the systematic torture and murder of a group of innocents held on trumped-up charges. Of course, most of the nastiness is suggested and it's all very tame by today's standards, though the film remains memorable for its oppressive atmosphere, the bleakness of its resolution and the unusual amount of sympathy extended to the villains. As one might expect, the token lesbian warders are present and correct - there's even a whiff of incest between Markham's character and her son - but it's interesting to note that House of Whipcord is actually less prurient than much of the otherwise insipid, more mainstream horror fare being released around the same time.
SteveStrange
½ October 15, 2009
Again, terrible exploitation: Sex, violence, cruelty, sadism, and sexual perversion. Another inspiration for my burgeoning screenplay, Attack of the Killer Nazi Lesbian Sadist Vampire Nuns.
June 10, 2013
Instructions are meant to be obeyed

A matron and an old judge maintain an ex-prison on a hill that they call a clinic. They obtain beautiful young women and try to cleanse them of their sins by brutally torturing them. One young lady they take in tries to fight the system unsuccessfully. Fortunately, she is followed by a friend that will try to rescue her. Can the friend bring down this house of pain or will she become its next victim?

"I don't understand."
"You're not in this room to understand."

Peter Walker, director of House of the Long Shadows, Cover Up, The Confessional, The Flesh and Blood Show, School for Sex, and The Big Switch, delivers House of Whipcord. The storyline for this picture is fairly mediocre and predictable...even the violent scenes were not that good. The acting was fairly good and the cast includes Barbara Markham, Patrick Barr, Ray Brooks, and Dorothy Gordon.

"I will not be dismissed."

I added this movie to my "to see" list some years back, shortly after joining Rottentomatoes, based on my love affair for grindhouse pictures. I found this on Netflix and had to finally sit down and watch it. I can tell you this was not as good as most jailhouse grindhouse pictures. The action scenes were a bit stale and the drama was lacking. I recommend skipping this film.

"You are here to serve sentence."

Grade: C-
May 17, 2013
This is the introduction: X Rated, and then: "This film is dedicated to those who are are disturbed by today's lax moral codes who eagerly await the return of corporol and capital punishment...."...Say whaaaat?
Like midieval times, girls are condemned by those who don't follow The Word themselves. Sadists. It's unfunny how life imitates 'art though', as there's a Jeffery Dahmer incident. Over all, this film doesn't earn an X-rating.
P.S. To RT: Your sponser of Mexican beer and video games sucks, how much did you make?
"Me thinkith the lady doth protest to much"-The Judge (Tony Sympson)
January 17, 2013
Pete Walker really hit his stride for me with my watch of this one, in which a cruel older woman uses her son to lure promiscuous young women to their remote estate, then imprisons them to teach them the error of their ways through a series of torture and punishment.

Wild stuff, especially considering the UK and the time frame in which these films were made.

Give it a look.
½ July 17, 2012
One of, if not THE, most highly recommended Pete Walker films in my opinion. I frequently use the word "classy" when I talk about Pete Walker and his movies and he certainly continues to prove that with this offering as not only is it presented extremely well, but he also presents subject matter which could have EASILY been handled with a much more . . . shall we say "sleazy" touch in a very mature and appropriately careful manner as to not take away from the meaning and validity of this movie. THE HOUSE OF WHIPCORD is very well thought out, realistically creepy and FULL of subtext and undertones. In fact Pete Walker, I believe, drives the point home and further ensures the intentional maturity with which he wished to handle this subject matter and the way he presents it by prefacing the movie with a thoughtful quote regarding Capital Punishment to try and get the audience thinking right away. And with great metaphors, analogies and other fancy sounding things of this sort, he creates great discussion points regarding not only Capital Punishment and the faults of justice systems that would be handling people's mortality, but also some potentially interesting gender issue undertones! But what of course makes this brilliant is the fact that along with all this interesting stuff for the film snobs to talk about, there is a very good linear, surface plot unfolding! Recommended for fans of Pete Walker's work (FRIGHTMARE being one of my other personal favorites) as well as fans of movies such as: THE GIRL NEXT DOOR (Jack Ketchum book/movie), LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT, HOUSE ON THE EDGE OF THE PARK, BLOODSUCKING FREAKS, and WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO SOLANGE.
½ October 27, 2015
An effective British horror film. It contains echos of Pasolini's Salo in its shocking imagery and depection of a far right regime. By way of the moral 'justice' carried out of the establishment in question the film actually says a lot about general decency and is indeed greater than it seems to get credit for.
½ March 21, 2015
Another 1970s exploitation film from genre master Pete Walker. In this film yet more elements of society and positions of high authority (at the time) are questionned. Here the British justice system, the right wing views of some mainly Conservative politicians to 'throw away the key' a retired judge and sadistic wardons are used.
The pretext this time is some private female correctional facility not controlled by the state, its laws and rules.
The film is very darkly shot at times which judging by the subject matter can be understood I suppose.
The cast includes Pete Walker veteran Sheila Keith (now deceased) and a young Celia Imrie.
The sadistic 'wardon' played by Barbara Markham was meant as a parody of TV clean up champion (and nuisance in many respects!) Mary Whitehouse. The director/producer sticking his fingers up at the establishment again.
Because these films are some forty years old many of the cast and members of the establishment mentioned are now deceased.
I wouldn't rate it as highly as another Pete Walker film of the period Frightmare that I reviewed yesterday but this is still essential film for any discerning film watcher.
March 18, 2014
Not a bad little 70's British thriller.
½ December 9, 2013

December 1, 2013
This was better than I expected.
November 21, 2013
Chilling British horror which is a take on sadistic vigilantism.
September 29, 2013
not a bad film considering its age.
June 10, 2013
Instructions are meant to be obeyed

"I don't understand."
"You're not in this room to understand."

"I will not be dismissed."

"You are here to serve sentence."

Grade: C-
May 17, 2013
"Me thinkith the lady doth protest to much"-The Judge (Tony Sympson)
January 17, 2013

Give it a look.
½ January 2, 2013
A picture that courts controversy but it doesn't even deliver in that respect, a dull non event of a film. There is poor acting throughout and the cinematography with the lighting in particular is dreadful.
½ November 8, 2012
Trashy Seventies exploitation with aspirations beyond it's limited sights