How High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How High Reviews

½ March 16, 2015
Taking How High seriously is such an impossible task, if it not only for the fact it is incredibly offensive, but because it is the only film i know to date that is so self aware it becomes unaware. It sits in the void between so bad its good and utter drivel. Regardless of its impurities however, the film actually works as a whole, something you would expect this level of film making to be almost incapable of doing. Silus and Jamal are 2 down and outs, after the death of his friend Ivory, Silus grows his friends ashes into a cannabis plant and lives out Ivory's final wish, for him to go to school and get educated about his talent in botanicals. After realising that by smoking Ivory, not only would he appear but he is also willing to help the pair pass all their exams, leading them straight through harvard, where they cause hell, annoy all the goody two shoes and get "Dem Bitches". Yes this film is so blatantly offensive to anyone who is not black, male and in their 20's, however it does carry some stupid comedy and genuine moments of laughter from time to time. The acting isnt so much as atrocious as what you'd expect from the roster on offer here, in fact Redman and Method Man do a formidable job of holding your attention for the duration, even if the script forces some heavy message hinting at the viewer from time to time. The supporting cast are just about fine and dandy also, including Mike Epp's who plays a pretty dumb pimp. Its all rather, dumb and fun and cringe worthy at the same time. It has a fun soundtrack for the time, the production values are decent enough for 2001 and its not exactly boring to watch. It's like going back to high school at the age of 30 and hanging about with all the stoners. It would be stupid, however if would give you some sense of rememberance, for better or worse. There really isnt much else to say, How High is what it is a dumb stoner movie, nothing more, nothing less.
September 2, 2014
Funny, entertaining and surprisingly well-acted by the two leads.
½ March 22, 2014
Okay, as strange as I am and most think I'm high. I don't smoke. However, this is one of the funniest films about smoking besides Half Baked. My go to movie when I just eat lotsa junk food and pretend I'm high.
½ February 11, 2014
Entertaining, yes. Good movie, no.
½ January 13, 2014
Silly movie indeed.. Ghost helps during exams.. I bet the writers also get high when writing this movie.. haha
½ February 13, 2010
A stoner comedy that I went to high school with. I've never found it to be particularly funny, although I'm not a fan of the genre. (First viewing - Teen years)
October 27, 2007
A cool comedy! How High was alot funnier than I tought, I had a good Time! Love the part when Du Hast is playing one of the two guys awakes the other one with a joint.
½ April 20, 2013
One of my favourite films! don't know how it gets such a low rating, an all round feel good film!
April 19, 2013
Its a silly low brow comedy but its good for a chuckle here and there. You need a good stupid movie every once in awhile.
½ March 22, 2013
seriously one of the funniest movies. don't read too much into it people, it's comedy.
March 16, 2013
Very funny movie if u don't like it then don't watch it
½ January 12, 2013
Tacky comedic value that misses a lot more than it hits.
½ January 11, 2013
I thought this it was funny as hell!
January 6, 2013
the other best high times film top 5 ..d.o.a.
December 31, 2012
Could have been way worse than it was. This is from the late night Reed file going back to the the early 2000's. Rappers, Freddy Willard and Jeffrey Jones may not be cinematic gold but this is moderately entertaining.
December 3, 2012
best kick ass movie ever to watch when yoru high/stoned!
October 31, 2012
Funny at parts, but gets way too goofy towards in and messes up an already mediocre script.
½ October 26, 2012
my god do they have too
October 13, 2012
Killer Stoner comedy!
September 13, 2012
i like this movie alot i would like to see this movie