How the Garcia Girls Spent Their Summer Reviews

October 18, 2008
Excellent film about three generations of Latina women struggling with their sexuality. Contrary to what young people think, old people need love and comfort as well. There were moments that made this viewer cringe, (no, not the sex, which was pretty tame) and others that had me laughing out loud. In this small town, everyone's secrets are well-known and the options for love are limited. But each of these women learns something about herself and about each other that just resonated for this viewer. The three lead actresses, America Ferrera (Blanca), Elizabeth Pena (Lolita), and Lucy Gallardo (Dona Geneveva) were marvelous. America is fast becoming a favorite and I am glad to see her tackling such meaty roles. She has a classic beauty that I find entrancing. A real woman, indeed.
August 28, 2009
It was an interesting story about 3 generations of women. Gotta love AZ!
iLeo
½ June 15, 2008
Great movie. An interesting story plot that surrounds the everyday lives of a family of three Hispanic women: a grandmother, mother, and a granddaugther. Great cast- America Ferrera and Elizabeth Pena are phenomenal. Definitely worth seeing.
½ March 4, 2010
An interesting take on the usual melodramatic, sentimental woman-centric ethnic period piece. Worth the watch.
September 4, 2009
A funny, entertaining movie. Some of the movie was a little boring and for some reason I thought there was goin to be a rape scene by the creepy dude but he just ended up bustin her window. I was glad Americas' role left him at the end.
June 2, 2008
Good movie overall. It portraits three different perspectives as three generations deal with their relationships and sexuality. It got slow sometimes.
November 30, 2013
Low-key, sometimes to the point of tedium.
September 28, 2009
At times emotional, at times humorous, but also at times confused. This film host a really nice cast her give good performances which raises the level of the movie. But aside from the three leads the cast is borderline terrible

Some good things about the film.
This movie understands dark humor well. It also understands that its audience can determine things for themselves, not giving us reasons for every decision one of the characters make. The film has amazing cinematography, which really captured this tiny town in Arizona.

Some bad things about this film.
Again, while the leads were top notch, the secondary cast were just plain bad. This film is a bit confused, being funny in places where it shouldn't. Also, it was a bit drawn out and boring.

Overall this film is above sub-par, and is a pretty decent drama with a good lead cast and beautiful cinematography.
½ August 22, 2008
:fresh: :fresh: :fresh: (out of four)

[color=slategray]What a nice suprise this film is. [QUOTE]It is made and written with a sense of authenticity that is rarely present in films today.[/QUOTE] [/color]
[color=#708090][/color]
[color=#708090]Elizabeth Pena shines as one of the three Garcia women. She is raising her daughter while trying to look after her aging mother. Her life has become mundane and she desperately seeks some excitement an companionship.[/color]
[color=#708090][/color]
[color=#708090]The story also follows her mother and daughter with their stories. Each segment features superior performances and realistic abandonment. The film could have been cut down a bit, but it leaves a lasting and fond impression.[/color]
August 9, 2008
A nicely constructed film, wonderfully acted, funny and touching. I liked director Georgina Garcia Riedel's style, very perceptive and detailed. It is a little overlong, but overall a rewarding movie.
May 27, 2008
AVOID THIS MOVIE!!! I went with my parents and gf and all of us thought it was the worst movie we have seen in a long time. It is excruciatingly slow, has camera angles and shots that are like a bad college arts film, the plot is paper thin, there is absolutely nothing funny in the movie to consider it a comedy, there is nothing dramatic to hold us in suspense. It is just plain boring! There was a total of 10 people in the theatre and all of us came out saying the exact same thing: "What a waste of time"!
I understand I'm not a paid movie critic but I've seen enough movies in my life to know a piece of forced artistic crap when I see it. All three actresses are very good but the movie itself is far from barely palatable. I don't understand what movie all the other critics have seen, but if it was the same one I saw, they are clearly full of themselves if they use any $10 dollar word to describe what is simpy dull.