• R, 1 hr. 31 min.

How to Be a Serial Killer Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
How To Be A Serial Killer is one of the most original horror comedies in a long time. The premise of the is very original, the film is done up as a how to guide on how to become a serial killer. It's a disturbing, funny film thats equally deranged as it is fun, one minute you're thinking how messed up the main character is, the next you're laughing out loud. This film is a very original comedy horror film that blends both genres very well, and is a definite fun film to enjoy. How To Be A Serial Killer is a film that really is a top notch low budget film thats very original and is a breath of fresh air. Despite this, you got to keep in mind that this is equally deranged and funny. A definite must watch. One terrific little film too.
_kelly .

February 20, 2010
This movie starts decently enough by building a very interesting relationship between active multiple murderer and aspiring killer. The dialogue between them tends to stay very tight and believable, but the plot runs screaming in the opposite direction towards cliche and sloppy pacing.

One thing about this movie is that I do not believe its writers/producers have an adequate understanding of what the term "serial killer" entails. This main character is not a "classic" or "textbook" serial killer like Dahmer, Gacy, or Bundy but a simple mass murderer (minus the large amount of underlings) like Hitler or any Soviet Union leaders. The distinction is that the "serial killer" has a relationship with his killing that is akin to relationship a normal person has with their sexuality; it is a sometimes all-consuming force that is fueled by fantasy and marked by sexual satisfaction. Mass murderers, of which many modern domestic examples are erroneously labeled "serial killers", do not have the fantasy-fulfillment relationship with their killing but do it for less personal and more ideological reasons. With both groups there is the sociopathic issue of control over life and death, which is why these groups blur a lot and this movie's main character could be seen by some laymen - or just those who disagree with the psychological theories I've read - as a genuine classifiable "serial killer".

Anyways, that whole "I don't see this guy as a true serial killer" did work on some level because it made the killing less creepy and more open to the black comedy genre. At the same time, I think this really worked against it, because I was looking for something that really tread the paper thin line between fucked-up and funny (like House of 1000 Corpses, Severance, anything Troma). A This film doesn't have any gore I think you can definitely do edgy and dark but still funny without much gore, but this film doesn't.

This is an instant watch on a netflix and I suggest you PASS ON IT.
thefog1331
thefog1331

October 11, 2009
Labeled as a a black comedy it falls flat on its face. It's not funny or gory or even very interesting. Dameon Clarke helps pass the time with a strong, likeable performance and I have a feeling his name will start popping up more often but that still doesn't make it worth sitting through.
I kinda felt like I was watching a cross between Dexter and The Office so maybe fans of those would it enjoy it and would explain why I didn't since I can't stand either show.
Sarah P

July 23, 2011
The film and acting were of poor quality and it doesn't get moving fast enough. I didn't get past 25 minutes...
EnigmaticHallucination
March 2, 2010
Rather odd take on serial killers. Seems like it was trying to be American Psycho but as more of a documentary than a journal. It's rather odd, once again I guess it's a black comedy. Minor chuckles. Nothing real spectacular and is rather forgettable when all is said and done.
Marion R

December 27, 2009
I wish I could have enjoyied this film more. I liked the idea behind the film, but felt it wasn't executed properly. The humor is non existent.
moviemaniacgirl
moviemaniacgirl

September 23, 2011
An entertaining social etiquette of sorts that makes you laugh, creeps you out and makes you want to become best friends with Matthew Gray Gubler. Though it isn't the most intriguing, and often loses speed, it was still often very-watchable.

The stylistic choices are consistently brilliant and the mockumentary feel is only enhanced by the POV shots and faux-seminars.

Overall, definitely worth your time if you don't have anything else to do. (Or you're a die-hard Gubler fan, like me) but it's not really high on my, or any of your, lists.
Hamee
August 6, 2011
This movie was absolutely ridiculous. There are many movies that should never be made and this is high on that list.
tmannamt
March 25, 2011
It moves pretty fast, has it's moments and the charismatic performance from Dameon Clarke makes the main character likable, but if you are not into Black Comedy at all then you should pass on this.
February 26, 2010
i like the idea...although i think the second half of the movie didn't really match up to the first half (where the story goes and the quality). i do think the concept works better the longer you watch.
October 23, 2009
Not what i was hopeing for at all!. Wasnt very funny llike it claimed to be and not gory at all. Very dissapointing!
grayavec
October 20, 2009
Alternates between entertaining instructional pieces that are illustrated by plot pieces that drag out a fairly simple story.
March 7, 2014
It's in bad taste. While it is rather humorish and dark, it goes a bit too far. The characters are snobbish and the ending is expected. It gets points for some originality with it's presentation, yet it's hard to like.
Bengel W.
November 17, 2013
Finally a truthful film about the American psyche that explains the brutality of the giant prison camp developed by the British where unfortunately said guardians lost control. Intimate photography follows the story well with some very modern ideas on population controls that seem on the surface very effective. Overall, the more Americans that follow this premise the more Americans will die a win-win. Nibbles: Coffee
September 22, 2013
Loved it, funny...smart, and left you with something to think about.
September 9, 2013
A "comedy" only Chris Greene would enjoy.
March 5, 2013
This is a pretty busted movie. It can't decide if it wants to be a narrative feature or a mockumentary/faux doc, so throughout it randomly throws in unnecessary confessionals straight into the camera. The performances are serviceable, but the direction (most scenes play out in one or two set-ups), the pacing, the lackluster storytelling and the wretched score (synthesizers that are blasted too loud and obnoxious as fuck) really make this not worth the time.
August 6, 2012
Pretty bold. Loved Matthew Gray Gubler, all in all a pretty fantastic movie
January 2, 2012
I don't know why I watched this movie, but this is a fine example of dark comedy. It is thrilling and completely original.
May 7, 2012