20% The Identical Sep 05

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days Reviews

Wildaly M

April 25, 2007
Hudson and McConaughey have chemistry together but the plot is not exactly the best and basically falls short like in most rom-coms.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
For the life of me, I can't even remember why I ever saw this in the first place, especially since I'm not big on this sort of thing to begin with.

This is a typical rom com that offers nothing really new, and is just one of a countless number of films that rehashes cliches, predictability, and fleeting entertainment.

The set up is that we get a woman journalist stuck writing a fluffy advice column who thinks she can write an article about the ways women alienate and drive away the men they love. She sets out to prove this by winning over then losing the heart of a man in a mere ten days.

Meanwhile, we get a businessman competing for an account who tells his boss he's the man for the job because he can understand what makes the fairer sex tick, and sets out to prove this by winning over a lady's heart in less than two weeks.

As you'd expect, these two people cross paths and target one another for their perspective projects...and the results end up going in a completely surprise free direction.

The thing is, I think the initial premise, while flawed, is actually kind of interesting, and in the hands of talented writers and directors, could be done extremely well. Woody Allen (for example) could probably have knocked this out of the park. Unfortunately that doesn't happen, and the result is just typical generic crap.

There's some laughs, but ultimately this is dull, not that funny, and rather forgettable. It sucks that they also got talented people to cash in and squander their abilities, but, considering my knowledge of film, I probably shouldn't be all that shocked.

If you have a thing for mediocre rom coms you'll probably like it. If not, I'd stick with something else.
Alice S

December 24, 2012
Kate Hudson's smugface is really not my cuppa tea, but she is stunning in that gold number (and in those giant Ann Taylor Loft banners at the mall). The movie isn't as annoying as I remember, but much of it is Hudson doing embarrassing, stereotypical stuff. There's some real heart when Andie meets Ben's kooky but loveable family. Then the big reveal is kinda argumentative for no reason. Andie's all hurt that she was just a bet, but she was using Ben too, so it's just a ham-handed unraveling for dramatic purposes.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 6, 2011
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is yet another awful romantic comedy. I thought the film had a promising start, but the film falls apart. Matthew McConaughey is a pretty good actor, but I think he's wrecking his career with all the bad rom-coms that he's starred in. He's just not romantic comedy material. This film is pretty sloppy in the way its comedic elements flowed. I laughed a few times, I'll admit, but after the credits roll, I realized that despite a promising start, this romantic comedy is simply just like the others, and it becomes predictable by the second half. One day I would like to see a romantic comedy that really differs from all the other ones, and doesn't use any predictable derivative cliché to create its "story". Though this film had a few funny bits, the film wasn't good, and in the end suffered the same fate as so many other romantic comedies. This is an awful film that is absolute misfire for a romantic comedy. The cast is terrible here and with a poor script, poor directing, it ensures that How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days is a poorly made film with nothing to offer. A boring, predictable film with minor laughs doesn't do anything for the film, and the script is so bad that it just sinks this film even further. A poorly made film that just doesn't cut it. This film is garbage and everyone involved in this film should be ashamed of themselves. As far as scrapping the bottom of the barrel of clichéd ideas, this film hits the mark, and ends up being a terrible film in the process.
3niR
3niR

December 22, 2010
It was predictable but I found this quite entertaining as well.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 24, 2011
One of my all time favourite films! Kate Hudson is fantastic in this film!
movieguru12
movieguru12

January 26, 2008
Great movie about finding your true love :) Matthew & Kate were great in this movie :) One of my favorite movies that I love to quote :) Love the love fern :) Don't forget to frost yourself :) :) :)
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 5, 2010
I'll get alot of smack for this, but I really like this movie. One of the best, and one of my favorite rom coms.
KJ P

January 27, 2010
Enjoyable, and besides, it doesn't rely on slapstick humor! It's all natural!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
It's a romantic comedy, what else can be said?
Anthony L

September 30, 2009
...or how to lose the will to live in ten minutes!
A horrible clichéd romance film about two very 2 dimensional and quite hateful beautiful people who fall in love unconvincingly! Calling it a chick flick is an insult to women! Stick knives in your eyes before watching!
Dean !

December 30, 2006
A decent comedy as a girl tries to prove any girl can get a guy to ditch her, while the guy is out to prove he can get anyone to fall in love with him in 10 days. A few funny moments about the do's and don'ts of dating.
Leigh R

annoying
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 6, 2007
Andie and Benjamin start to date each other with alternative agendas for their work. Funny rom com. Great cast. My fave scene is coming out of the Celine Dion concert, Matthew's face is a picture!
Nicki M

January 4, 2008
I never get sick of this one. The scene where he sees all the crap in his medicine cabinet and then the singing near the end. LOL. As chick flicks go, it has an interesting plot to it too. Definitely a favourite.
Red L

February 7, 2008
I don't know what is wrong with me, but I didn't like this film. I guess I just didn't feel like watching a movie where everyone is using the other.
Jennifer X

May 27, 2007
How is it possible that Goldie Hawn and Kate Hudson are even related? Goldie Hawn is so gorgeous and Kate Hudson just...isn't.
Rachel F

May 19, 2007
This is such a good movie. Gotta love happy endings.
Kylie B

March 26, 2007
Intresting premise, okay for a chick-flick.