• PG-13, 1 hr. 56 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

How to Make an American Quilt Reviews

Nicki M

January 22, 2009
I watched this years ago and can remember being quite disappointed with it. Enough time has now gone by that I felt like a re-watch. Has it improved with age? Well, yes and no.
First of all, it is a little on the dull side. I don't think the story of a young woman, Finn (Winona Ryder), who goes to stay with her older female relatives who are part of a quilting circle would be too many people's idea of riveting viewing.
Finn is recently engaged and has cold feet, so she becomes interested in hearing about the romantic lives of her relatives and their friends, which she is also using as a thesis topic. In flashback form, we see the disappointments and hardships these strong women have faced, as well as the parts that made it seem worthwhile. It's sentimental and a little cliched in that way American movies seem to be, but it is nice in its way. I think maybe it's a film that improves with repeat viewings, as there are quite a few female characters here, plus their younger selves, it can get a little confusing as to who is who!
The acting is excellent. A really good cast here. I think this is more a movie to appeal to an older female audience. Not one for young girls as they will be bored, as I was first time I watched this, I was not at an age to relate to the older women here. Men also, I think would be bored - even older ones!
I recommend it, but with reservations. Maybe one to watch on tv !
thmtsang
thmtsang

August 11, 2007
Winona visits her grandmonther and joins her sewing circle and learns about their relationships. Touching movie.
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 8, 2007
great actresses but it misses being being great by being too diffuse and ends up unsatisfying
garyX
garyX

March 6, 2007
A sewing circle muses about life and love. Now THAT's what I call entertainment...
Leigh R

December 7, 2006
It wasn't too bad.
John B

January 30, 2010
Oh Lord. Overly sentimental rubbish. Please keep me away from films like this.
Dannielle A

May 12, 2008
A wonderful, talented cast tells the story about a young woman named Finn who lives with her grandmother and great aunt for the summer while she thinks over a marriage proposal and works on a grad school thesis. A group of women who grew up together are all part of a quilting bee and they share their love stories with Finn. She learns about love from their stories.
DrStrangeblog
DrStrangeblog

October 23, 2012
Not without merit by highlighting the silent sacrifices of women from more repressed times, but still pretty dull.
Lee K

July 5, 2009
One of my top 5 most boring films of all time list. zzzzzzzz nothing more to say!
iLeo
iLeo

January 31, 2007
Loved it.
sman5
March 22, 2010
I like the place of introspective comfort this movie takes me to. For one, it's a literary story with plenty of narrative, which always pulls me in and, Thomas Newman's lovely soundtrack really underscores the poignancy ?This is a fine story about Love through the eyes of flawed humanity ?with the one constant throughout the movie being Love, in all it's various forms ?And, what you're left with is the continuum of Life transformation via Love's (not always easy but always enriching) lessons...
purplejam1
January 25, 2009
A cast of great actresses. Memories sewn together and shared past. Time and talent and experience.A keepsake gift of love .
cryingfairygirl
August 11, 2008
Very moving story about love, family, and friendship. The quilt they made is gorgeous! The stories that they share are very enlightening. Plus 2 old women sitting around getting high is awesome.
August 5, 2008
Jared Leto is in it for like a scene or 2 that's all but its an interesting movie. its like a few stories in a movie. Each female character has their own story & therefore the movie itself is a 'quilt'
dredzag
July 26, 2007
Originally saw this years ago and forgot all about it. saw it again recently and fell in love with it again. Actually I had more of an appreciation for it this time. Amazing cast in Bancroft, Burstyn, Kate Nelligan, Lois Smith, Maya Angelou, Alfre Woodadrd, Samantha Mathis and the wickedly cute Mr. Mulroney!
good direction from Moorhouse.
moviegirl50
March 31, 2007
To me, this is a story of how much of "yourself" you are willing to give up for love. Ahhhhh, the unselfishnesss of true love......... VHS.
distelhurst
July 8, 2007
None of the women who give Winona Ryder's character advice had happy love lives. It's really a rather sad movie.
zeiko18
January 9, 2007
If you watch this, fast forward through every instance of Jonathon Scheach. Then it will be endurable.
kristinagac
October 11, 2006
When I was younger I would have given this movie a lpwer score, but now that I am able to relate to this film it deserves 4 stars.