How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying Reviews

½ September 5, 2010
Such a hilarious musical comedy, it's charming and enjoyable, and has a great cast of not so well known actors. The story is just what it says, a young guy gets a book with the same title as the movie, and follows the steps to quickly climb the corporate ladder with so much ease, that it's ridiculous. This makes fun of the corporate workplace and job hunting. I loved it, and I highly recommend it.
May 31, 2009
Bright, splashy film musical about an ambitious young window washer who rises through the ranks of a large corporation following the advice of a self-help book. Textbook example of how to do everything right in translating a musical from stage to film. Features a wonderful Frank Loesser score including the songs, "I Believe In You" and "The Brotherhood of Man". Robert Morse and Rudy Vallee reprise their original Broadway roles. Film debut of Michele Lee.
½ April 26, 2009
Far from my favorite musical, but still fun. The Coen's borrowed from this liberally for The Hudsucker Proxy.
½ July 2, 2014
You get the sense the some of the rougher satire in the original stage musical has been smoothed out for more mainstream audiences but what's there is still effective. Although the best reason to see the film is for Morse, whose wonderfully strange performance is the antithesis of what you'd expect from a musical comedy. He makes such consistent offbeat choices that you might wonder why any of the producers left him in the picture if you weren't so glad they did.
August 14, 2015
saw it in theater when it came out. classic. 1st Saw the play starring Robt Morse in LB on Ocean, with KS, about 67. Great musical: Brotherhood of Man.
December 25, 2012
I have never seen this on stage, but have heard great things, so I decided to give the movie a shot. I imagine that, as is the case with all musicals, it's better when seen live. I wasn't a huge fan of the film, but I didn't hate it by any means, and some of the musical numbers are definite crowd pleasers.
July 28, 2011
An absolutely fun and wonderfully directed musical. The cast and costumes are brilliant. The story is non stop entertaining and has an excellent score.
½ September 13, 2010
If you have ever wondered what Mad Men would have been like had it been made in the 60's as a musical, then this is the film for you. It features great musical numbers such as "A Secretary Is Not A Toy," and is generally all around inappropriate. A bit long, but truly a fascinating film from a special time in corporate history.
June 29, 2009
hilarious musical comedy in all its dated, campy 60s glory. not only is the writing sharp, but the actors' sense of timing and physical comedy enhances the film so much more. the songs aren't THAT outstanding, but the story is fun and the characters are entertaining. along with Guys and Dolls, a true high point for Frank Loesser.
½ July 29, 2008
Charming movie! If you've never seen it, add it to your Netflix queue or go rent it from someplace. You'll enjoy it.
June 25, 2008
I know this was a movie in the 60s, but still, it's too mediocre that it turns out very boring. The only best things of the movie are the original stuff: the book, the songs, and Robert Morse... Well, said by itself, "mediocrity is not a mortal sin."
April 6, 2008
I was in this play in High School & then I saw it on stage with Ralph Macchio so maybe that is why I love it so much. Robert Morse plays such an oddball but its a huge turn on to Michele lee who by the way sounds incredible in this film. She has an amazing singing voice that is perfect for this style movie. I find this to be quite fun & anyone who has worked for a big business - you will love the comparisons. QUOTE: "If you have education, intelligence, and ability, so much the better. But, remember that thousands have reached the top without any of these qualities."
March 9, 2008
There is some awesome choreography in this movie, very much reminiscent of the office scene in "Funny Face".
January 3, 2008
Its cute. I recommend it to all my business major friends. Basically you cheat in business. Yep. Cute songs, bright sets and clothes
December 4, 2007
Very humorous way of getting ahead in business... Some of the ideas do occur in real life today... When you're up, some people want to pull you down and others cheer for your success... Funny song lyrics... Michele Lee & Robert Morse were great together...
August 14, 2015
August 17, 2015
A hilarious musical, even for those who don't like musicals. At once nostalgic and progressive, silly and satirical, fun and funny, this has to be one of my all time favourites. A must watch!
December 28, 2014
I'm not a huge musical fan, so not too many appeal to me, but his one is quite charming. Robert Morse plays a scheming window washer who worked his way up the corporate ladder, featuring many songs and dances along the way. The main suspense of the film is if the company will find out that Morse doesn't really know what he's doing and really isn't working very hard. The film also had an added level of meta fun since Morse is now best known for portraying Bert Cooper of Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce on AMC's "Mad Men," itself a 1960s story set in a big company. As an aside, that show actually let Morse's final scene in the show be a musical number that was just wonderful. But back to this film, Michele Lee plays Morse's likable love interest and Rudy Vallee plays the company boss. David Swift directed this lavish musical, but he never really did anything like it again, even though this film was quite successful. He spent most of his career directing forgettable Disney films and TV episodes. If you're a fan of musicals and even if you're not, this film is quite winning an entertaining.
½ July 2, 2014