• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

Howling IV: The Original Nightmare Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 8, 2011
Fourth film in this franchise of werewolf films is yet another boring affair. Established horror director John Hough (American Gothic) directs this film, but due to a poor script (as usual), the film goes nowhere. The results are wasted on-screen. Howling IV continues the trend of this franchise to create awful, pointless and unnecessary sequels to a classic horror film. With every sequel that has been produced in this series, the series has reached ultimate lows of mediocrity. This film though directed by a good horror director is total garbage. The film is a mess from start to finish and the cast here awful and add to that a poor plot, and you have yet another poor sequel. Since this is the fourth entry in The Howling franchise. You wonder why they're keeping making such poor sequels. These sequels are uninteresting, and this fourth entry is like every other film in the franchise that followed the original, it's a film with barely anything terrifying elements, and it doesn't do anything to thrill you. In fact, I was very bored watching this film, and I couldn't believe that this passed as a sequel to The Howling. I absolutely hated this film, and it has many flaws like the virtual absence of actual werewolves. If this is a werewolf film, you'd expect a bit more werewolf activity, right? This fourth film is yet another failed attempt at cashing in on a classic film, and it will once again disappoint fans of the original
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 12, 2009
There are different werewolf movies and it will be wrong me to say I dont enjoy werewolf movies, I do but this made me yawn.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Fairly boring. Had some clever ideas but they are poorly executed. It also only had 3 minutes worth of werewolf action in it! Had a good melting man moment towards the end though!
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

May 8, 2007
A poor movie... boring and tedious. Suffers from a serious lack of 'Werewolf' action. The images on the DVD cover aren't even from this film.

The film plays out almost identical to the first movie, but without all the elements that made that movie good and watchable.

It's best to avoid this one. It's the worst in the 'Howling' series.
iLeo
iLeo

January 12, 2008
Fantastic!
September 25, 2010
The hardest Howling movie to watch I've encountered so far. Some unsympathetic characters battle some werewolves -- but they hardly even do that.
MrTalbotOO7
March 9, 2007
Entertaining and (supposedly) more accurate edition in the popular bbut rarely any good franchise, with nifty werewolves and some decent, albeit all to brief, boobage.
August 21, 2013
Probably the best sequel.
KevinRobbins
March 12, 2014
I shot a wolf last night...

An author retreats to a small town named "Drago" where she hopes to gather her thoughts and rebuild her career. She falls in love with a local man and they begin shacking up together. He does take business trips, and doesn't seem to be around when the strange things start occurring. He doesn't believe her visions and tries to help her, but can the strange man somehow be tied into the strange occurrences?

"What was that noise?"
"What noise?"
"The howling."
"You probably just heard the animal in me."

John Hough, director of Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, American Gothic, Bad Karma, Escape to Witch Mountain, Return from Witch Mountain, and A Ghost in Monte Carlo, delivers Howling IV: The Original Nightmare. The storyline for this picture is classic 80s slasher mixed with the werewolf genre. The special effects are fairly corny and the acting is mediocre. The cast includes Romy Windsor, Michael Weiss, Antony Hamilton, and Susanne Severeid.

"Your man done brought home the bacon."

I have started watching this series again since I found every movie is on Netflix. Werewolves were always my favorite plotline in the horror genre so I always enjoy watching these movies. I can tell you this series is far from on par with Silver Bullet from this time period. Overall, this is another Howling movie worth skipping.

Grade: D
FilmGrinder S.
January 18, 2013
64%

"Satan calls you, Satan calls you, Satan calls you..."-Towns People of Drago

The title and credit song, "Something Evil, Something Dangerous" by Justin Hayward was the best thing about the film.
October 28, 2012
This is a rema of the first film. I do not know why you would remake the original howling and call it part 4 but at the end of the day this movie is not bad. It is pretty boring compared to the original but at the end of the day it is kind of cool seeing another take on that film.
June 13, 2012
Tad bit boring with very little on screen werewolves. The characters weren't too good and the editing was choppy. Some of the effects were nice but nothing great. No where near the best werewolf movie out there, but I've seen worst.
June 12, 2012
Good sequel, based on the original Gary Brandner novel. Romy Windsor carries the film amazingly well. Some great moments.
Nukleopatra
January 14, 2012
It's ''The Howling'' but much worse.
October 18, 2011
Bastante mejor que su predecesora, aunque aun sigue siendo bacicamente serie Z de la peor. Si bien es cierto que intenta explicar una historia de forma mas o menos logica(todo lo contrario que su tercera parte) la acumulacion de topicos, los pesimos actores y la musica ratonera la lastran sin remedia hasta ahogarla en el mar de la mediocridad. Una pena...
Alex H.
September 11, 2011
I don't know why this movie didn't do good it's a classic. I don't care what anyone says I love the movie.
February 21, 2011
Horrible movie. Barely any violence or werewolves in the movie. They save all the lame little violence for the last 12 min. of the movie!
mac301
June 1, 2004
[font=Century Gothic][size=1][color=black][b][font=Tahoma][size=2].....[/size][/font][/b][/color][/size][/font]