19% Transcendence Apr 18

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

Carlos M

December 28, 2010
While the plot may seem a bit derivative (as well as the score and the characterizations) when compared to Miyazaki's greater works, this captivating animation is nevertheless an entertaining adventure of enchanting visuals and a quite delicious sense of humor.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
Probably Miyazaki's weakest film, but still plenty of good stuff to offer. Once again (it's almost a given at this point) the animation is absolutely top-of-the-line and the raw creativity presented in the uniquely magical steam-punk settings (Howl's mobile castle, which is an absolute wonder of animation) shines with child-like bliss. The characters are also thankfully another strong point and the relationship between Sophie and Howl leads to some interesting character development. There is also a delightful array of side characters such as Calcifer (hilariously voiced by Billy Crystal), the scarecrow, and the Witch of the Waste (whose development takes a truly unexpected turn in the second half).

Thankfully the imaginative world and characters are strong enough to overcome the erratically messy plot (complete with a rushed and nonsensical ending), under explained plot points (The reason for the war, inconsistent effects of Sophie's curse.), and a boring villain. I feel Miyazaki is at his best when telling minimalistic stories with layered visual storytelling, 'Howl's Moving Castle' simply suffers from trying to do a tad too much at once.

Not quite on the level of his masterpieces, but even Miyazaki on his off-day is still better than many filmmakers on their best day.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
the film is wonderful. the characters are engaging, the animation stunning, and the story so unique. i loved the castle, although i would have loved to see more of it, and the scarecrow. the war planes were unique, and the subplots that we hear little about, such as the war, add some very interesting background noise. howl has so many layers that my only criticism would be a desire to see more of howl's background as he evolves into maturity, but we receive enough to dive in. the film has only improved upon multiple viewings. very good film.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

June 14, 2013
In a magical steampunk kingdom, a witch turns a girl into an old woman; a wizard embroiled in a war and a fire demon hold the key to returning to herself. This beautifully animated Hayao Miyazaki fantasy has the casual incoherence of an authentic folk tale, with the magical transformations around every corner making the plot truly unpredictable.
Jeremy S

April 5, 2006
After viewing Spirited Away, I am willing to see anything else he comes up with
Sam B

December 27, 2011
Some of the events could use a bit of explaining (there's a war WHY?), but Howl's Moving Castle features maybe the coolest art direction I have yet to see in an animated movie, and the same beautiful animation Miyazaki is known for; almost every single shot could work as a beautiful wall painting. The characters are also often charming, and its surprising how many big American names Disney got for the voice acting (Christian Bale, Emily Mortimer, Billy Crystal, etc.)
Jan Marc M

November 8, 2011
Elegant and pure, Howl's Moving Castle is a charming animation feature about a young lady cursed by an evil witch. A genius Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki production, Howl's Moving Castle is a visual wonder that revels in boundless imagination. Remarkable.
deano
deano

October 5, 2006
I love this Japanese animation film entertaining the adventure, fantasy and romance between young Sophie and magician Howl - brilliant.
These delicate pastel images beautifully suit the fairytale fantasy adapted from Diana Wynne Jones's book. The result doesn't match Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away but is lively and, thanks to Calcifer and a fat wheezing dog, funny too.
The is the first one of Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli films I ever watched.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

February 21, 2011
This is the anime version of "The Wizard of Oz". Take my word. Also, this is very different from Miyazai's other work since the concept is not his. It is loosely based on a little-known American novel of the same name. Lets get on to the review!

"Howl's Moving Castle" tells the story of a beautiful young woman (Seriously, for an anime character, shes got looks.) named Sophie. She is then cursed by the hideous Witch of the Waste (Say that five times fast! Sounds like "Witch of the West"!) how turns her into a suprisingly cute 90-year old woman. She then searches for for a wizard simply known as Howl, who is voiced by the too-good-for-words Christian Bale. She then helps inmprove his life, and falls for him, while traveling in his awesomely animated moving castle.

Great story, awesome voice acting, stunning beautiful, and just plain epic! This is definetly worth the watch! Just like "Spirited Away", the first viewing is memorable. If you're a fan of fantasy, anime, and comic books (due to the inclusion of Christian Bale), this is the movie for you!

This is my third favorite anime film behind "Spirited Away" and "My Neighbor Totoro".

"Find me in the future!"
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

December 4, 2010
There seems to be a misconception that Japanese animation is completely distinct and removed from its Western counterparts to the point of outright hostility. While the visual sensibilities of Pixar and Dreamworks don't reflect anime traditions, there is a greater exchange of styles and stories that one might expect. This is supported by the fact that it was John Lasseter, the creator of Toy Story, who first brought Hayao Miyazaki's work to American audiences.

This cross-pollination of cultures is evident in both Spirited Away (which won Miyazaki an Oscar) and the follow-up Howl's Moving Castle. Where Spirited Away took the central idea of The Wizard of Oz (written by an American) and completely reinvented it, this film takes a Welsh novel and gives it the classic Miyazaki twist. The result is a very loose adaptation of Diane Wynne Jones' novel which has all the familiar Miyazaki trappings - it's filled with wonder, beautiful, and totally, lovably bonkers.

If you try to write out the plot of one of Miyazaki's films, you would quickly have to give up, either because of their complexity or for their tendency to seem like total nonsense when viewed in abstract. There's certainly a lot in Howl's Moving Castle which makes one laugh, if out of surprise as much as genuine humour. Quite apart from a metal castle which walks around the hilly landscape, we have a scarecrow that comes to life (another Oz reference), a boy who becomes an old man by putting on a cloak, and of course a talking fire (voiced by Billy Crystal in the English language version).

As we have come to expect from Miyazaki, the animation is spectacularly beautiful and manages to marry an old-fashioned, hand-drawn aesthetic with more modern, CG-orientated techniques. Being a deliberately loose adaptation, the director doesn't make a concerted effort to situate us in a specific time and place; indeed that would be rather futile, since the doors of the house can lead to anywhere.

What we are given is a beautifully crafted, fantastical setting with heavy overtones of steampunk, a world which seems green and tranquil one minute and dark and aggressive the next. Howl's secret garden, with meadows filled with flowers and the mill with its slow-turning water wheel, is counterpointed by the battle scenes in the clouds, with Howl in bird form dodging missiles and strangely impossible aeroplanes being blown to smithereens. If we insist on imposing a time period, we seem to be in the early-20th century due to the presence of imperial regalia. It's not quite Wales, not quite continental Europe, and we're certainly not in Japan.

For all its beauty, there is an appealing sense of the grotesque to Howl's Moving Castle. There's nothing approaching the darkness of Spirited Away or moments of Princess Mononoke, and the film's U certificate means there's nothing that will terrify very young children. But the animation is so organic and perfectly weighted that when the moments come they are emphasised. The blob-men who can seep through cracks in doors are incredibly creepy, as is the Wicked Witch of the Wastes herself (Oz again). When we first meet the Witch, she is simply intimidating. But by the time she has climbed all those steps, bathed in sweat and the fat rings becoming more apparent, there is very little about her that does not send a shiver down one's spine.

For the most part, however, these sequences are balanced out by moments of genuine magic. The film doesn't waste time in introducing magic to Sophie's otherwise mundane life: by the ten-minute mark she has befriended a wizard and walked over the rooftops on thin air. The first time we see Calcifer, as two amorphous eyes peeping out from the ashes, we can't quite believe what we are seeing. The film has such a natural touch when it comes to the magical or supernatural that we feel instantly absorbed, and that has a much more powerful effect than any amount of dry exposition.

But the heart of Howl's Moving Castle is rooted not so much in magic but in a great story about ageing, love and the burden of having a heart. Western culture is obsessed with youth and staying young at all costs: while experience is rewarded, old age is frowned upon as something unwanted, and the elderly are often regarded as being obsolete. How fantastic, then, to have a children's film in which the central protagonist, who rapidly ages against her will, ends up embracing her advanced years and seeing all the good in her new-found state?

When we first meet Sophie, she is drifting through life unsure what to make of herself. Her older sister berates her for not looking out for herself, and she seems lonely and unsuited to life as a hat-maker. When the Witch of the Waste first casts the spell on her, her reaction is largely one of panic, followed by funny consolations that "everything will be alright". But despite her considerable physical handicap, Sophie is not the type to sit around moping. Her age does not prevent her from either having adventures or saving those around her. When her youth is restored at the end of the film, her hair remains grey as a reminder of this precious knowledge of the value of age.

Against this example of good will and charity, we have the character of Howl, a man of immense abilities and good looks but who is also distant and haughty. One of his very first conversations with Sophie inside the castle sees him screaming at her for mixing up the lotions, causing him to accidentally dye his hair. Howl dresses like the anime equivalent of a New Romantic, and his affection for Sophie appears to come from a desire more than anything to show off.

As the film wears on, however, we discover more about Howl's past and our opinion of him becomes more adjusted. The beautiful sequence of Howl catching Calcifer and swallowing a fallen star makes his predicament more tragic, and sets up a change in all that has gone before. Under normal circumstances this time travel plot point would seem like a clunky deus ex machina, but here it is handled sensitively and feels seamlessly integrated. Howl regains his heart and realises he must adjust to a life built around empathy; he may still have his powers, but now he is more aware of their consequences and his ability to use them for more than selfish gain.

The film also deserves praise for the quality of its English language dub. The film is easy enough to understand through subtitles, but if one insists upon a dub then this is of a very high quality. The recording, which was personally supervised by Lasseter, took longer than expected because of the engineers getting wrapped up in the story. Whenever clips would be played back, they would spend so much time enjoying the film that they would forget to check the levels or that it had synced correctly. What more proof do you need?

There are a couple of small weaknesses with the film which prevent it from being a classic. The tone of Miyazaki's work is often very whimsical, and there are moments in which one's tolerance for such whimsy is tested. In the last half hour the story starts to run out of steam as all the threads are tied up, and the revelation about Turnip Head's true identity doesn't completely hold up when you consider what comes straight afterwards.

In all though, Howl's Moving Castle is a very good piece of animation with all the magic of Miyazaki's previous work and the spirit of the original novel. Its characters are well-rounded and engaging, and even when watched purely as escapism it never fails to make you smile. Despite its little flaws, which prevent it from being top-flight Miyazaki fare, it retains a radiance and playful joy which will guarantee that it ages well. It's not Spirited Away, but it's still really, really good.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
I didn't like as much as other Miyazaki films, but it was still entertaining to watch, very beautiful and creative. Especially with Billy Crystal's voice in it.
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 9, 2007
This was my first exposure to Miyazaki, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. It's was maybe a tad too whimsical for me in places (or at least the type of whimsy I'm not used to), and I have no idea what the hell was going on during the last 30 mins. However, I really enjoyed the look of things and the music. The cast is good too, especially Billy Crystal: he's the best.
3niR
3niR

April 3, 2010
AWESOME!
Lewis C

March 3, 2008
Watching a new Studio Ghibili movie is an event that has few equals in film. Each time, the viewer knows that by the time the movie is over, there's a huge chance that they will have another title to add to their list of favorites. That's a wonderful thing...but with expectations like those, sadly there is bound to eventually be disappointment. I suppose that time has finally come for me.

I certainly didn't hate Howl's Moving Castle. Some parts of it were as wonderful as I could have ever expected. First of all, it's beautiful. I could not have asked for more in that regard. The backgrounds, settings, and characters are so gorgeously drawn and animated, that each frame is its own individual work of art. A number of the characters were very appealing to me, as well. Who didn't instantly love Sophie and Turnip-head? I even liked the character of Calcifer (and Billy Crystal's voice-acting). On the other hand, I never warmed to Christian Bale's Howl or The Witch of the Wastes, but that makes complete sense within the context of the story. Those two creations were not really written to be liked.

(A special commendation has to be given to the animators and voice actors who kept Sophie as a clearly recognizable character, even as her appearance underwent several changes. That couldn't have been easy to do, but it really helps the viewer form a bond with her.)

So, where did my disappointment come from? The story. I realize that this isn't an original Miyazaki creation (instead, it's an adaptation of a popular British book from the 80's), so perhaps they had difficulties in working within another person's vision? So much that I wanted to know about the characters and their world, is left unexplained. Huge plot points come and go in a brief span of time, with very little comment. Howl's story was fortunately fully-resolved, and it could be argued that everything else is unnecessary, but it feels to me like there were a lot of missed opportunities. Even the main plot was a bit boring and frustratingly vague. Howl's Moving Castle could have been a fantastic movie, but these niggling issues make it no better than average.

There's a wide-range of discussion and contention about which Miyazaki movie is the best, but general consensus is that none of them are less than decent . Some people will absolutely love this, it just didn't appeal to my tastes as much as some other Ghibli films have. At the very least, Howl's Moving Castle is worth watching for the extraordinary visuals.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

December 26, 2009
Engaging, mind-bending and just delightful.
Megan S

February 26, 2007
This is my second favorite Miyazaki movie so far. Billy Crystal was the perfect voice for a disgruntled ball of fire. I love the random sidekicks that are always accompanying the main characters in his movies.
Anthony L

September 17, 2009
Not my favourite studio Ghibli film but it?s still an amazing achievement in animation and an amazing movie.
Aaron N

November 14, 2006
Letti: Wow! He must have been a wizard then.
Young Sophie: But he was so kind to me. He rescued me, Letti.
Letti: Of course he did, he was trying to steal your heart. You were so lucky Sophie, if that wizard were Howl, he would have eaten it.
Young Sophie: No he wouldn't, Howl only does that to beautiful girls.

Another wonderfully made movie from writer/animator/director Hayao Miyazaki. It once again brings to life a world stemming from imagination, a wonderful mix of characters, and for this film an amazing structure that is the moving castle of the title. I would probably like this movie even more if I didn't feel so sorry for the way the lead character Sophie is treated.

The film begins with a young girl encountering some obnoxious guards in a Victorian-like city setting, only to be saved by the handsome but mysterious wizard known as Howl. Soon after this, Sophie encounters the Witch of the Waste, who curses Sophie, turning her into a 90-year-old woman. Sophie leaves her home in hopes of finding the witch and breaking the curse, only to find herself in Howl's magical moving castle.

Old Sophie: All right Calcifer, lets get cooking.
Calcifer: I don't cook! I'm a scary and powerful fire demon!

Once in the castle, Sopihie befriends the various characters around, including a young apprentice of Howl's, a fire demon trapped in the stove, a scarecrow hopping around outside, and Howl himself, whom Sophie falls for. During all this, a war is going on between two kingdoms, causing much trouble for Howl, it would seem, as he is the target of a sorceress on one of the opposing sides. Sophie also learns of the true nature of Howl, as he reveals in various instances the limits of his powers and what cost it may have.

Howl: I'm such a big coward, all I do is hide. All of this magic is to keep everybody away. I can't stand how scared I am.

Due to the support from the guys at Pixar, once again helping make sure the American release was treated as well as possible, the English audio track works very well with this film and features a talented cast of actors, which includes Christian Bale as Howl, Lauren Bacall as the Witch of the Waste, and Billy Crystal as the fire demon.

The animation in this film is superb. Miyazaki has a way of making everything about how the frames in this film are shown interesting. This is especially the case with the castle, which is such an ingenious design. All the work that goes into the making of films like this once again shows.

As well drawn as the characters are for the most part, my main gripe comes from the portrayal of Sophie. I felt very sorry through her during the first half of this film and wasn't to happy with the further development in the story regarding her character. However, the pacing this time around, which has troubled me in past Miyazaki films felt pretty good this time, so I was never uninterested in the proceeding actions.

Overall, another wonderful and imaginative film from Miyazaki.

Howl: You're wearing that hat? After all the magic I used to make your dress pretty?