Howl's Moving Castle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Howl's Moving Castle Reviews

November 26, 2015
For my next anime feature, I decided to go with Howl's Moving Castle based on recommendations from people I know (classmates and girlfriend). And this is a really nice movie. Definitely not as weird or violent as Princess Mononoke. This is more of a children's story filled with heart. If Princess Mononoke was the anime equivalent of Lord Of The Rings, then Howl's Moving Castle is the anime equivalent of Harry Potter with all of it's magic. A very warm-hearted film that any fan of animation should see.
½ August 14, 2015
Saw this on 14/8/15
Although well animated, this Miyazaki outing has a pedestrian story that is too dull, slow and boring, moreover, the lack of interesting characters are also frustrating and compared to his other films, Miyazaki fails to create a rich and interesting world. It may be my disappointment speaking, but unlike his other films, Moving castle does not have a purpose, it's story means nothing. Princess Mononoke had a sensible story which can be seen as a social allegory or a truely fantastic epic fantasy. I also felt slightly disappointed with The Wind Rises because I didn't know what kind of a film it was, but it's not the film's fault and I respect Miyazaki for that. I am also disturbed that the titular character Houl has really no role in the film and the film simply revolves around Sophie and instead of exploring the fantasy themes, it simply satisfies itself as a romantic movie.
½ July 4, 2012
This is one of my favorite animated films. Miyazaki is a top notch storyteller and I love his work, but there is something very special about this one. It is a magical story with some very amazing characters.
October 26, 2015
sencillamente la ame
½ October 12, 2012
Exceptionally animated by Miyazaki in perhaps his most visually beautiful film. Unfortunately, it also has his weakest story.
October 8, 2015
Studio Ghibli's movies are geared more towards kids and girls as the less angular designs of the characters and environments attest. They use more circular esque and curved lines, which appeal more to them. So that's prob why I never cared to check out their movies though I've met alot of girls who love their movies. So I check out this one and it is RAW. Ridiculous CREATIVITY, and they take the TIME needed in developing the characters as something as small as letting a scene go just a little more to see the intricacies of how a character walks/moves. That's something you don't see much anymore in movies because of this A.D.H.D generation demands random entertainment and action with no meaning and WEAK characters with WEAK to no motivation. In this movie the characters are great and could be up to interpretation because there's so much creativity going on, BUT the creativity is not so overboard it makes no sense whatsoever. That's where ALOT of interpretation may or may not be done, and in the end it doesn't matter because the story still holds everything together.

Great stuff, now I gotta watch the rest of the Ghibli Studio movies, you never know what something new you might discover if you keep your mind open, glad I do. Be open to listen, make, and watch more diverse art and you'll find MASTERPIECES like this. Don't and you'll be stuck in what is majority, STATUS QUO pop art, which is mostly garbage. And have fun feeding your body/mind that
½ September 29, 2015
A brilliant fantasy story with breathtaking animation.
August 8, 2015
A flawed film, but still a good one.
May 31, 2015
Personal favorite Miyazaki movie. The story telling makes me jealous. I love how the way magic works isn't explained, leaving the audience to figure it out and be shown what it can do.
August 25, 2015
I doubt I have ever seen such a beautiful movie. All other Ghibli works considered.
August 22, 2015
Very imaginative, lots of ideas remade in original ways. Marvellous and intriguing. Rich story. Beautiful. Maybe a bit too epic. Also, lots of war scenes cleaned of the fallouts. War is a bit too far and not felt at all. There is a disconnect with the main storyline. Really good nonetheless.
April 19, 2014
If there's anything you can do, it's to trust that when an animation is directed by Hayao Miyazaki, it's stunning to look at, and bursting with fairytale like creatures and stories. Howl's Moving Castle is no exception to these traits, as it boasts everything listed above, not to mention a colorful and quirky set of characters to slowly fall in love with, and an addition of fine character development and speedy story progression. In other words, whilst the plot evolves, so do the characters.Like most, I have developed high expectations from the geniuses at at Studio Ghibli, and definitely look forward to their future projects, hopefully ones with as much magic and wit as this.
June 24, 2012
Loads of interesting visuals and an engaging story. Its worth a look
August 10, 2015
I liked it but have to say it was one of Miyazaki's weaker films. It has good messages also cool thing with curses but don't know still enjoyed it though.
½ August 7, 2015
Wonderful. Magic and drama and creative imagination at work and infused into our minds and hearts. Thank you.
February 6, 2015
I love Miyazaki without a doubt, I don't hate, or even dislike any of his movies. Sadly, while I know a lot of people love this film, and I respect that, Howl's Moving Castle to my mind is the weakest Miyazaki film. I suppose it can make up for it's problems with it's creativite characters and incredible visuals, but for me, it takes more than pretty pictures to make a film work, unless it's a movie that relies on visual storytelling, which in this case, it does not. My major problem with the movie is the story is pretty disjointed. I had to watch this movie a couple times just to know exactly what this movie was about because it's kind of complicated. So many ideas are in this movie, it makes the story not so easy to follow. Also I think the romance in the story is a bit underdeveloped and could have used a little bit of work, but thats me. Aside from that, HMC does have like I said before, creative characters, amazing visuals, and it does have many memorable moments and scenes. I do like this movie, does it have some problems? yeah, but it's Miyazaki and his films have it's own charm, and many people seem to love it, so I'm not going to be so critical about it
August 5, 2015
A beautiful animated film
½ July 30, 2015
Just another one's of Miyazaki's masterpieces.
July 27, 2015
Howl's Moving Castle does have a somewhat uneven plot, but it definitely compensates with its gorgeous animation (The castle itself is nothing short of artistic genius), memorable characters (and voiceovers that complement them as well; Billy Crystal is a particular standout), and solid world-building that makes one want to know even more about it. This movie was my introduction to Studio Ghibli (I saw this movie way back when I was a kid, and rewatched it recently), and it certainly holds up. Verdict: B+
July 19, 2015
Miyazaki can do little wrong but coming off the impressive Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle feels slightly underwhelming.