Hugo Reviews

½ August 4, 2015
wonderful visual, but bad acting from the kids, lack of a sense of story telling.
½ October 6, 2012
Remarkable and delightful, Hugo takes us to a charming world of imagination, exposing to us in stunning fashion the magic of cinema and the beauty it holds!
½ July 25, 2015
A step out of genre for Scorsese proves successful in this flawlessly directed and visually striking whimsical drama, that tugs at the heart strings in the most remarkable of ways.
½ February 2, 2012
Nostalgic, visually dazzling, and heartwarming, this may come as a surprise and bore to some people, who especially adore Scorsese's gritty, dark, and violent mob films. This is unlike anything he's ever done (his first-ever 3-D film), and yet possibly the closest to his heart, and the most heartfelt one. It is a film about love for cinema, and no one loves cinema as much as Scorsese does (well, perhaps him and Spielberg.) Hugo is a rapturously beautiful adventure for film lovers of all ages. The spectacular visual design took my breath away and swept off my feet, and its positive and heartwarming messages about dreams and preservation of movies really resonated with me. I love Hugo, it is a masterpiece.
½ June 28, 2015
I still want to see this in 3-D, but haven't been able to.
June 24, 2015
Fantastical and beautiful.
June 23, 2015
I felt like I wasn't "in" on this. It was pretty bad. Possibly the same experience as going to an art gallery with a horrible display, but no one would say "this stuff really sucks" because they feel like they're supposed to like it. Same thing. So I'll say it; "This movie sucked."
½ June 16, 2015
Wonderful film and a delight for the entire family. Hopefully, a few people walk away with some interest in learning more about the history of motion pictures.
August 29, 2014
Hugo is a special movie that's a tribute to the medium and perhaps the greatest accomplishment of one of the most accomplished filmmakers to ever step behind a camera. Martin Scorsese's Hugo mesmerizes from beginning to end with its scope, authenticity, completeness, warmth, sincerity, and attention to detail. The movie has been faultlessly crafted, seamlessly realized, and amazingly acted. The story never disappoints, the themes are true, and the picture's heart is constant. It's the embodiment of pure, wondrous cinema, cinema as it was and should be, a true labor of love that's not to be missed and made to be experienced. Here's hoping Hugo is awarded the Best Picture Oscar; after all, how could a movie about the beauty of movies, a picture that so lovingly celebrates the medium, be denied?
May 15, 2015
Martin Scorsese's multi-genre directing abilities are apparent in his first family feature.
June 4, 2015
The most mature kids' film I have ever seen!
½ November 20, 2014
Visually pleasing, creatively inspiring, uplifting family type of movie for older children. I loved that this movie was a bit fantastical, dark, and unique. I also loved the setting in Paris and cinematography. I loved that it showcased some of what started modern film being a cinephile with melies work and what not-that part was great. I also liked the colorful characters. What I didn't love was it was sometimes hard to follow especially the beginning very much a stretch at parts and jumping around a lot. This movie also had a bit of corny predictable parts. The ending picked up after a bit of a rough beginning. I feel like this movie could have been great but instead was a little shallow at parts and recycled the whole poor orphan who finds a family bit. Despite this it was an interesting watch and for most part unusual take.
May 25, 2015
The Good:
The movie unveils its heartwarming story little by little in a captivating way and delivered in gorgeous beautiful visuals. Strong performance by its cast, in particular the heartfelt innocence portrayed by Asa Butterfield. Every characters are likeable thanks to their unique charm, and the movie acts as an astounding tribute to the history of cinema.

The Not-so-Good:
Many times it's too obvious the movie is highly focused on the 3D gimmicks, thus the movie kind of lost its beauty in 2D viewing. The slow build up might not work well with every audience, in fact some might find it without any actual climax.
½ April 4, 2012
It's really a brilliant movie. One of those movies where you feel smarter after you watch it than you did beforehand. Scorsese does an amazing job of integrating real-life historical figures with fictional characters in a way that doesn't seem unnatural or forced. The only thing that could make this better is if it were a little faster-paced. The movie seems to be partially targeted towards children, but I can't see too many being able to stick around for the whole movie
½ May 10, 2015
I appreciate this film for what it's trying to be, and the visuals were stunning, but the final project ended up being too slow moving to truly be memorable.
½ September 27, 2011
filmed looks beautiful. plot is slow at the beginning but thickens by the end.
April 22, 2015
Like a giant clock, this film is a nice visual feast with lots of intricate moving pieces working in unison, but in the end, it is a monotonous ticker that doesn't
do anything new or take me anywhere particularly magical. Yes, "Hugo" did have surprise plot twists that took the story to a far different place in the end than I was expecting... but where it took me was a far less interesting place than I hoped for. When it all boils down, "Hugo" is just a two-hour-long pep talk to an old man who lost his confidence in old cinema, and regains this spark of desire by seeing his work plastered on the big screen again. No major revelations. No real sacrifice. Just a lot of fancy special effects baiting audiences to sit through a story-lite bore, as if Paramount had extra money to burn in a furnace. The early 20-Century world of France looked nice with its CG backgrounds and hyper-realistic dream sequences.... but quite frankly, I didn't give a damn when everything else felt un-motivating.

The second half of the movie spends a great deal of time praising old silent filmmakers, and instead of being whisked away by these sentiments, I felt annoyed for two reasons. First, I was annoyed that Scorsese couldn't reference anyone else but Melies, whose poke-the-moon-in-the-eye film has been tiredly referenced in past films and television to an exhaustible degree. Second, I was left slightly puzzled when instead of praising the technical ingenuity of Hugo the common man, (or boy,) Scorsese pats himself on the back for the Oscar committee through his comparing filmmakers to magicians. One may argue that it is the acting and characters that make a film immortal, not the silly eye-tricks on celluloid.

And as far as characters go, none within "Hugo" were very convincing. Hugo himself seemed well-developed and sympathetic, but his bravery and mechanical brilliance was swept under the rug in favor of focusing on Ben Kingsley's character who, let's face it, never really changed by the end of the movie... he simply changed BACK to the character he once was. I don't mind the fact that Kingsley's character was, ultimately, the main focus; what I did mind was that his side of the story was far less memorable than Hugo's adventure-filled life. Chloe Moetz' awesome talent was completely squandered as she played an unmemorable role nearly identical to that of the little girl in last year's "Boxtrolls," and she tried too hard to deliver that wannabe-Hermione-Granger persona.

This movie could have been told much more effectively if it had been produced with no special effects, 50 million dollars cut from its budget, and 30 minutes cut from the overall running time. I couldn't decide whether I thought the automaton or the wind-up-mouse was my favorite character in the entire movie.
½ July 15, 2013
I'm currently reading the book and I love how faithful the movie is to the source material. Who would have thought Scorsese; master of hard hitting, stylized, and violent crime dramas could show off his versatility in a film intended for children and adults and succeed? Absolutely brilliant.
½ April 19, 2012
With absolutely breathtaking imagery, wonderful cinematography, likable characters and amazing story, Hugo has its problems including the acting which is not the greatest and running time which should have been shorter, but it is such a powerful and deeply emotional personal story of a legendary filmmaker filled with beautiful silent film references, a mysterious quality and fairy tale charm to it and it is definitely a marvelous homage to a great era in film. It is a beautiful film that is one of the very best of its year.
March 29, 2014
Martin Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of cinema history. He is the pillar that proudly stands next to Steven Spielberg. He has made several iconic masterpieces over the decades. From crime thrillers, gangster films, war films, and now family features. "Hugo" is Scorsese's first family film. It stars Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, Asa Butterfield, ChloŽ Grace Moretz, Ray Winstone, Emily Mortimer, Christopher Lee, and Jude Law.

The film follows the story of a young boy named Hugo Cabret (Butterfield). Hugo is a young clockmaker living in Paris. His father (Jude Law), passed away not to many years before. His ghastly drunken uncle (Winstone), raises him, and teaches him how to work the clocks of the train station. When said uncle goes missing, Hugo is left to manage the clocks on his own. Hugo has been working on a special machine he and his father found in an abandoned theater years ago. It is called an automaton.

Young Asa Butterfield does a fantastic job in this film. His performance is believable and sincere. As a character, his story is very sad. Hugo's character arc is very emotional. The cast assembled around him is superb. Ben Kingsley plays a callused and hurting man. His journey and story is very moving, and it contrasts beautifully with Hugo's. Christopher Lee and Jude Law get some lovely cameos, in which they shine immensely. ChloŽ Grace Moretz plays Hugo's friend and companion, Isabelle in his adventure.

The story and script are absolutely beautiful. It's about a young boy trying to mend the hurt of losing his father. The characters and dialogue are so strong and elegantly written. Ultimately, this is Scorsese's tribute to cinema. The film is not only a story about Hugo, but a story about film. Woven through Hugo's adventure is the underlying message about the power of movies. The ability to dream and imagine. The passion and effort put into such films as The Man in the Moon. It was a simple little movie, but it was creatively superb. This film shows what it was like making these old movies. The sets, the costumes, and the magic of it all are all shown. It's an incredible tribute to cinema.Hugo-hugo-movie-28047324-1152-814

Much like these old movies, this film shows the magic of movie making. The visuals here are stupendous. Everything from the CGI, costumes, set pieces, and cinematography are gorgeous. The CGI looks so real. The costumes are well tailored, colorful, and creatively unique. Every set piece looks real, authentic, and made with care. The film won an award for Best Visual Effects. It also won for it's superb sound editing. Robert Richardson does a fantastic job behind the camera, winning himself an Oscar for Best Cinematography. Finally, Howard Shore's score-while very familiar-is very beautiful.

"Hugo" may be slightly held back by it's two hour running time, but nevertheless it's a great film. With a beautiful story that matches it's beautiful visuals, it succeeds on every level of filmmaking. Scorsese directs with mastery, the script is perfect, the costumes are wonderful, and the score is magical. Anyone who loves the art of cinema with greatly appreciate this film. It's perfect for families as well. Your children will be captivated, and adults with shed a tear. It captures the heart of a child and the heart of cinema itself.