Hugo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hugo Reviews

May 2, 2016
A film that re-defines the magic of film-making
½ May 6, 2016
Martin Scorsese, seriously what can go wrong. Of all the blood and gore films he made. And a children's one. Genius!!

Grade
9/10
April 30, 2016
Hugo is pure and simply a masterpiece. it is for everyone, families, film critics, and movie fans, if you are a fan of movies then you will like this movie. For those critics who think this is a bad movie, you're not a movie critic.
May 10, 2013
If ever there were a film that makes me want to make films, it's Martin Scorsese's masterpiece HUGO. The combination of top-of-the-line visual effects with the soulful tribute to where film has been brought a tear to my eye.

Scorsese is one of the few "old breed" American filmmakers left in the world, and I would argue that he's the very best in the world. His films typically pull from a certain vein: purely American. His films are about American culture, history, ideals, misgivings, blunders, etc. This is a universal picture that seeks to do one thing: make the kind of cinematic magic act that the great Mà (C)liès would have made himself, had he been given the technology we have now.
½ April 14, 2016
A visual experience and proof that Scorsese can make a Friendly movie, Hugo is dazzling, but short on a story wise
½ April 5, 2016
more for kids, prolly wont watch again...but great cinemetography
½ March 29, 2016
An absolutely gorgeous film
½ March 29, 2016
Superb tribute to the wonder and power of early cinema.
½ March 27, 2016
A love letter to cinema that never quite hits it, Hugo attempts to appeal to every demographic possible but stumbles along the way. The visual effects, while impressive at times, seem unneeded for the story it wants to tell and the acting ranges from overly serious to overly comedic.
March 19, 2012
This movie has dazzling visuals and a mysterious story that will keep you intrigued. It is slow in places but it's a fascinating film that movie lovers will definitely appreciate.
March 1, 2016
History of modern cinema or mechanical man , it's confusing in a way !!
February 27, 2016
Scorsese's brilliant and ambitious 3D film is hauntingly beautiful and I gather the film industry considered it a flop at the box office... but then, so was the Wizard of Oz.
½ February 21, 2016
Asa Butterfield does a great job making up for such an akward script, and being a fan of the book, I have to say the movie did incredibly well to capture the mysterious feel and loneliness Hugo feels in the film. I really liked the way each character and scene was protrayed, and you really feel for each character. Really moving film, really do reccomend it.
February 20, 2016
Hugo is certainly Martin Scorsese's most family friendly movie, with charm, wit, wonder, and a fantastical approach different from many Scorsese movies
½ February 8, 2016
Borry it might be cool to the British but I am a American so it was very Borry!
February 4, 2016
Meh. Seriously: Just meh. All the praise this film receives baffles me.
½ January 23, 2016
I loved this movie! It is a pure, cinematic brilliance! Very different than what Scorsese usually does, but in a good way. He was definitely the right choice as director to bring to life this beautifully done piece of filmmaking, as well as each member of the cast ensemble. Also, hates off to anyone involved in each aspect in the creation of this visually stunning film.
January 17, 2016
An uplifting movie. This film was very well made, and had good messages about kindness and forgiveness.
January 11, 2016
Not a bad film at all, but the visual effects were stunning.