Marvel Movie Madness! Part 2: Hulk

Summary

Jeff: Marvel books have been the inspiration for plenty of disappointing movies, but I'm not sure any of them stung as badly as Hulk. Of all the characters who seemingly stood to benefit from modern special effects and a smart director, this guy had to top the list -- but while we were watching a paint-covered Lou Ferrigno and thinking about how much cooler a comic-sized Hulk would be, we never stopped to consider how much harder it'd be to build a real human drama around him -- or, just as importantly, meaningful fight scenes. Two words: gamma dogs. Back to Article

Comments

algreen99

AL Green

haha - no one can complain to you about spoilers anymore.

May 12 - 05:52 AM

stephen d.

stephen lee

IKR XD

May 12 - 02:56 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

I liked it. Screw you haters.

May 12 - 05:58 AM

Cory

Cory B

Well, you can have it. :P

May 12 - 07:38 AM

Zach Thomas

Zach Idiculla

haha, me too man

May 12 - 06:05 AM

gorilla325

private private

No idea how hulk was in comic when I first saw Ann Lee's Hulk. I loved it. I like Tim's description of the movie. But I think it is very appropriate for Hulk to be confused when a guy suddenly possessed a great power like Hulk. He was doomed to be confused and reactive. He went for his only love in this world was a very convincing result.

I ranked this Hulk high up with iron man 1.

May 12 - 06:26 AM

Cory

Cory B

What comics did you read? I've read a few of the older ones (from back in the 60s), and I don't remember Hulk doing anything like that. He mostly just flung 747s around while screaming "HULK SMASH!!!" and punched other miscallaneous stuff. LOL

May 12 - 07:36 AM

Cory

Cory B

Well, you can have it. :P

May 12 - 07:38 AM

Cory

Cory B

Daredevil was a lot more enjoyable (and a lot less dull) than Hulk. Hulk and Elektra are on comparable levels of suck, which is unforgivable because Hulk has a lot more cinematic potential than Elektra does. You probably won't see a lot of hating on Elektra because hardly anyone saw it.

May 12 - 07:53 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Daredevil and Hulk fall into the same category of suck.

May 12 - 10:11 AM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Hulk is among the worst, but it has some tough competition for the title of THE worst. Fantastic Four 1/2, Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Punisher: Warzone, & X-Men Origins: Wolverine are all truly stinkers of the highest degree. As for the Hulk's "cinematic potential", it's completely lost when CGI is still at the point where it looks like a cartoon within a live action. Besides, I've never been convinced that the Hulk was feature length worthy anyhow. You may be right about Electra though ... It's the only Marvel film this comic nerd hasn't seen.

May 12 - 10:59 AM

algreen99

AL Green

Anything is possible if done right. I think there could still be a great hulk movie somewhere in the future. It is possible. But damn they've tried twice and nothing worked for me. The League of extraordinary Gentlemen used Mr Hide perfectly. Causing mayhem in the beginning but then assisting the rest of the team towards the end.

May 12 - 02:34 PM

Luke J.C.

Luke J.C.

To me 'the hulk' is easily a masterpiece ahead of its time. The first time I saw it, I only liked the cgi-action and was disappointed by having to wait for it so long. Years later I saw it again, prepared for what was to come and being open to it, I was astounded by its emotional impact. Even though I love some less serious marvel movies, this one, because of its seriousness, truly feels like a 'real movie'. It goes beyond being only 'quality entertainment' or an action blockbuster, just like 'the dark knight' did later.
Of course, it's hard to defend the (fearsome?) poodles, then again, what other enemies could he have fought at that point in the story? I had more of a problem with the giant bubble, but I forgave the movie that, because it was a difficult effect. Most FX and action however are among the best I ever saw. It's just that that's only one part of a bigger and deeper movie.

May 12 - 07:53 AM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

The cheap effects were the worst I've ever seen in a blockbuster. It looked like a film student who just got a hold of Avid for the first time.

May 12 - 10:13 AM

Luke J.C.

Luke J.C.

I'm not sure if you only mean the super-bubble or all effects, but the hulk jumping around and smashing tanks was awesome. Besides, the hulk as a cgi-character was a huge achievement. His movements and facial expressions felt unexpectedly natural (he even felt like a living sympathetic character).

May 12 - 02:22 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

I meant all the cheesy transitions (wipes) and filter effects. As for the CGI, well I thought the Hulk looked extremely goofy too. CGI is simply not at the level Hollywood thinks it is. It throws me out of the film every time.

May 12 - 03:16 PM

Stephen H.

Stephen Hunt

I have thought about this movie many a time over the years and it is just a tragic situation.
The actors: great. Bana and Connelly are great, and Sam Elliott's moustache is fantastic (as always).
The special effects: pretty good, the look of the Hulk in this one looks way better than Norton's Hulk. It's just too bad that there wasn't more going on in this movie visually.
The direction: incredible, Ang Lee is a frickin' artist and handled the "material" with the appropriate respect that a comic book fan would want to see. I really like the comic panel to panel scene cuts.
Now the tragedy: I put "material" in quotes because the script is a steaming pile of shit and single-handedly killed this movie. It always confuses me when Hollywood screws up a comic book movie because the material is already there. Every popular character, whether DC or Marvel, has hundreds of issues with multiple story lines of appropriate material with which to put together a script. Why not use it? If you did, this shit would happen less often (i.e. Gambit and Deadpool being in the Wolverine movie, all of Spiderman 3, all of Superman Returns, etc., etc.). I could go on and on, but such unpassionate and disrespectful Hollywood formulaic horseshit makes me want to put my foot up someone's ass.
Also, I heard that Ed Norton was asked not to return as the Hulk (not because of his lack of interest) because he is an asshole and hard to work with.

May 12 - 08:22 AM

Tardis

Tim Nies

You know what I would love to see; A hulk movie from Hulk's perspective. Banner is a computer/science geek and he's dull and all you ever see him do is him dealing with his "problem" which is also the one things that makes him interesting. To hell with that!
Give me the Hulk, otherwise I might as well watch a moving about a geek with an addiction. Just imagine if you took out every hulk scene in the movie, would you still watch it? Hell no! Now imagine you took out every scene in Iron man 1 showing Iron man. would you still watch it? I would. Tony Stark is an great charter.

We go to the the theaters to see HULK do some amazing stuff, I could care less about Banner. Film it like momento for all I care, show me how Hulk deals with the black-out and memory losses. Then show how he levels a city when he has a tamper tantrum when he realizes what a loser Banner is.

I'm just saying.

May 12 - 08:27 AM

algreen99

AL Green

Comicvine dot com is my friend Cory. Thats where I read up on all my favorites. It's a great site. Man, can i just tell you when you wrote hulk smash in caps i pictured you screaming while typing it? HAHAHAHA

May 12 - 09:37 AM

mark s.

mark smith

i didnt think that either of the hulk films were particularly great or bad, but i think its hard to make a great film from such lackluster source material. Dont get me wrong the hulk has always been my favorite superhero, but in my opinion he doesnt have any of the emotional realism you could get from other characters of the genre like batman or spider man who are based around less of an indestructible nature

May 12 - 10:03 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

hahahaha. I just busted out laughing Al.

May 12 - 10:05 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Daredevil and Hulk fall into the same category of suck.

May 12 - 10:11 AM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

May 12 - 10:13 AM

Luke J.C.

Luke J.C.

May 12 - 02:22 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

May 12 - 03:16 PM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

I saw it a while back on dvd and I couldn't finish it. Can't really judge the acting cuz I can't remember the acting. All I remember is...

1. Boring as hell (took way to long to see the hulk)

2. Gamma poodles what the f*ck.

May 12 - 10:14 AM

Robert Rodriguez's 10 Best Movies

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank