Straight From the Heart (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Straight From the Heart (Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam) Reviews

December 11, 2007
It was okay. I sorta wish her husband was more like Rhett from "Gone With The Wind" and would have told her that he really didn't care. When her lover left she was ready to kill herself and then in a couple of days it all goes away?
iLeo
December 16, 2007
A truly remarkable movie! Salman Khan and Aishwarya Rai are a great pair, and they interact well in this movie. Their characters relate to the deepest sense of "unrequited love." This movie is filled with hilarity, tons of humor, and of course the emotional rollercoaster. A great movie indeed.
April 16, 2009
even though this movie is like 4 hours long, i really liked it, plus aishwarya rai is sooooo pretty!!!
April 8, 2007
great love story, funny at times, very passionate(no sex gimmics, but rather in the romantic sense something hollywood LACKS ENTIRELY, this is clearly a bollywood classic
September 30, 2013
If you are looking for a BOLLYWOOD movie- with song and dance- Watch this one.
½ June 19, 2012
My first introduction to Aishwarya Rai (in her first major Bollywood hit), 'Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam' excels at presenting fantastic dance set pieces and songs, as do most successful Indian films. While the pacing can drag at times (as is also the case with a lot of Indian films), most issues are saved by the Rai's charisma and the aforementioned musical performances.

Where HDDCS really stumbles is in its dialogue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Bollywood actors' tendency to overact and drown in melodrama can really bite their movie in the ass when the script isn't focused on the dance scenes. I'm not suggesting melodrama or passionate acting are inherently bad, rather, I'm simply saying that any missteps that occur when engaging in this type of acting are felt particularly hard by the audience.

As I hinted earlier, a common type of misstep is awkward dialogue. Overacting and melodrama, if not used appropriately, can absolutely kill dialogue and turn a movie into a painful mess. I thought Salaman Khan was incredibly annoying in this film because of this. Furthermore, Bollywood melodrama and overacting (as is perfectly exemplified by this film) has other problems that go behind the awkwardness that can ensue. A little bit goes a long way, and pacing can be affected. This is the cause for the dragging in this movie (other than the 3 hour+ run time). But I digress.

The second half of HDDCS is a lot stronger than its first, and most of the pacing and dialogue problems are handled more effectively. Ajay Devgan's more subdued performance also elevates the movie's latter half, and he is far more likable than Khan. I found the justice done to him at the end of the movie was great, and concluded the story well.

In the end, HDDCS's performances from Rai and Devgan and the mesmerizing dance/song scenes outshine its weaker points. HDDCS, in giving credit where credit is due, is a real treat for choreography, music, and costume design. Well worth your 3 hours and 7 minutes ;)
½ November 3, 2011
I am a sucker for love stories (which is visible from most of my posts :) and HDDCS remains an all-time favorite. I missed it on the theatre but have seen it umpteen times, and more, I believe ;) otherwise. Based off a Bengali novel, Na Hanyate (It Does Not Die), Hum Dil... is inarguably among Bhansali's, Aishwarya's and Ajay Devgn's best works.

Nandini lends Aishwarya enough scope to draw the best out of her acting skills. It's beautiful to see a young, headstrong, Nandu evolve into a mature, sensible Nandini as the film spans her intense pyar for Sameer in the first half and her slow but eventual understanding of what pyar really is all about. Ajay too had his act in place as the honest, large-hearted Vanraj, a highlight in the second half.

With all due respect to Sallu fans, he may have entertained as the Chulbul Pandey of Dabangg or the Big Boss host, but someone tell him a little bit of acting won't hurt. (My bollyblogger friends are sure to come to blows with me on this one ;)

Rewinding back to the plot, Nandu (as he calls her) is besotted by Sameer and hasn't imagined life without him while her parents have other plans. Vanraj (Ajay Devgn), they believe is best suited for their daughter. The plot may seem another run-off-the-mill love triangle, but it's the treatment that won it all the appreciation and awards (31 to be more precise!) for the year.
Repeat value - Once, twice, thrice.......? You'll keep coming back to it!
½ December 26, 2010
A long but worth-your-time movie. Aishwarya Rai and Salman Khan are terrific.