71% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Humongous Reviews

January 17, 2014
I might've liked this a bit more had there been more cannon fodder for the creature to kill, or had the 'friends' actually seemed to even like one another a little bit, but mostly I was left to wonder why they even bothered to spend time with one another and hope for another nude scene.

Rental?
spiralrayonshorts
October 17, 2012
Typical 80's horror movie dumb teenagers get killed by "something"

Very enjoyable of you like this sorta thing if you don't you are a fucking moron.
August 9, 2012
The copy I watched of this was super-crappy--the dark scenes were almost completely black and indescribable. However, I am still fairly sure that is one of the most boring, lame, and unmemorable flasher films from the Golden era of the genre. The death scenes are crap, they are too far apart, and the film just simply plods along after its opening set-up. A promising opening scene only leads to a barrage of garbage afterwards.
March 31, 2012
The copy that I have (which is a VHS rip) is pretty dark, so it's difficult to tell what's going on a lot of the time. The thing is though it starts out interesting, then just gets boring for the rest of the movie. I think I watched the censored cut, as well.
February 11, 2012
I don't know if I'm being harsh or generous by giving it one star. I couldn't really tell what was going on in the dark.
November 30, 2011
If you liked American Gothic and haven't seen Humongous, I suggest checking it out, same applies if you've seen Humongous and liked it but haven't seen American Gothic, vice versa, etc, etc. There were quite a few similarities but different enough to be it's own movie and enjoyable. Humongous almost reminded me of a Richard Laymon novel, that is, of course, if the son living in the basement on the island was also a perverted rapist.
November 27, 2011
Äh, tämä oli huonompi kuin muistin. Paul Lynchillä oli kyllä lahjoja, mutta Prom Night ja Bullies ovat selvästi onnistuneempia. Pelkkä pimeässä hiiviskely ei oikein riitä pelotteluksi, jotain pitäisi tapahtuakin.
November 27, 2011
Back in 1982 the wold "Humungous" was a rather new word and proved to be good fodder for a horror film title thus this Canadian slasher was written around that term. So we get director Paul Lynch, hot off the success of "Prom Night", returning to give the slasher genre another stab with not as congenial of results despite a promising premises.

A group of dumb-ass teens crash their fathers yacht off shore of a mysterious island only rumored to be occupied by a senile old woman and a pack of wild dogs. Well it seems that the women was raped 35 years before and the residuum of that encounter was a deformed child that grows up to be a "humungous" wild haired madman. The thing dabbles in cannibalism and since his mother's demise roams the island looking for food.

A wilderness madman was nothing new in the genre thanks to "Friday the 13th Part 2" inspiring such slasher off-spring as "Madman", "The Burning" and "Don't Go in the Woods" but what makes this one stand-out in the bunch is the unique setting of a remote island. This adds to potential suspense as our group of young adults are trapped, with no-where to run.

The wild hairy monster itself is nothing special or unique and Paul Lynch wisely keeps the thing unseen in the shadows for the most part. Clever use of shadows is the name of the game for Lynch as he drapes the creep old house and woods in darkness again adding for potential suspense.

I use the word 'potential' as Lynch sadly misses many marks to make this truly scary. The climax, if you want to call it that, is unexciting without jumps or scars, despite the clever use of shadows.

The acting is nothing special and rather poor for the most part making the characters nothing more than cannibal fodder for the slaughter. Seriously this group of teens is some of the most unlikeable I've seen in the glory age of classic slashers. One jackass even aims a loaded gun at his brother, playfully saying he's going to blow his brains out. Fuck these guys... let them become cannibal food.

"Humungous" is worth hunting down for fans of the genre as it has been rather hard to find until it's recent DVD release by Scorpion. It had major potential to be a suspenseful thriller but mostly falls flat thanks to shit characters, bad acting and a director that is unable to craft true suspense. Don't expect a slasher among the ranks of "The Burning" and you will find some entertainment value to insure it won't be a 'humungous' letdown.
November 22, 2011
On one hand, the cast seems fairly capable. On the other, the film is wretchedly scripted, directed, and shot. The lighting budget must've covered two or three flashlights.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
The worst horror movie of the decade. There's nothing I can say that's good about this movie. Stay away from this one.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 6, 2010
The80sExpert
September 7, 2008
Absolutely horrible film, I sold my video of it for a couple cents, it wasn't even worth that much. Not only a bad story, but also bad acting, directing, lighting, cinematography, sound...well let's just say it didn't have much going for it.
Brody M

December 8, 2009
Just your average 80s horror flick.Nothing special
Lauren D

July 24, 2008
I don't even remember this, I watched it that long ago (I was really bored). I do remember, however, that it sucked badly.
wrinkleraisin
September 13, 2007
A clasic horror movie coming out of the 80's.
dorisgc
July 27, 2007
brill.......scary.....
April 16, 2007
A cool film with an interesting story, though the picture of the film could have been brighter,,literally. A cool film about a rape baby who is deformed and dangerous preys on a group of shipwrecked teens. A classic 1982 horror movie.