Hunter Prey Reviews

January 26, 2015
Clever game of "chess" kept me guessing - many plot twists.
½ October 2, 2010
If you can find this I highly recommend it as its a great low budget sci-fi flick in the same realms as 'Enemy Mine'. The plot is almost the same as 'Enemy Mine' accept the two races don't make friends. The alien race is introduced as the hero element where as the human (in a neat little twist) is introduced as the creature (you don't realise he's human at first) on the run and becomes the enemy...almost, depending how you look at it.

The thing that impresses about this film is the really nice makeup work on the alien masks and outfit/prop work. It isn't that original looking though, think 'Predator' armour mixed with a Clone Trooper from 'The Clone Wars'. Visually it all looks good set against the clear blue skies and yellow/orange rocky desert of the planet its all based on. The musical score is also pretty good, almost too good for a small film like this which was another surprise. Cast wise there are no big names but the acting is perfectly fine with some solid stunt work throughout.

You must be a total sci-fi fan to enjoy this on its numerous levels. Its not a fast action packed flick and its not filled with cheap looking CGI. Its actually very well made simply because the director has tried to focus the film with good characters and a good story. Without the safety net of lots of money, a big studio backing him and big name stars to craft his film there is a clear abundance of love detail care and attention to make the movie as real and epic as possible. Obviously unable to rely on big CGI shots the movie feels much more gritty and grounded which often tends to work well, the old adage less is more.

Think of this as a really really good episode of 'Star Trek'. The only down side being the ending is left open which could lead to a poor sequel or we may never know what happens if they don't. Definitely a low budget surprise winner here, highly recommended.
Francisco G.
½ May 24, 2014
A big ammount of nothing happens. And when it does, it's pretty much ripping off Enemy Mine, which wasn't that great to begin with. An overlong and overextended Star Trek episode and not of the good kind.
½ September 1, 2013
Interesting sci fi movie, but the ending. setting up for a sequel, was disappointing and not very logical.
½ July 31, 2013
Better than expected :-)
June 18, 2013
A good film that looks and feels like it was made in the 70's--Impressive!!
December 15, 2012
was hoping 4 something close 2 the wonderful 'enemy mine' which this is very much like it but this falls short.
½ December 10, 2012
This caught my interest, while flipping through channels. I found the scenario to be a fresh perspective, it had a nice twist, good job filming, and a nice plot. For a low budget movie, it rocks!
June 21, 2012
In a world of increasingly pointless sci fi blockbusters, a one made with a fraction of those has impressed me more than they ever could.
½ September 13, 2012
I expected a lot more than this from a former shadow of Stan Winston, especially after his amazing short film about Batman. the repetitive shots and lack of moving facial features make this hard to watch.
½ September 2, 2012
Old school low budget sci-fi that is a breath of fresh air compared to the oversaturated CG reliant, bloated studio films. Everything gets high marks and makes me believe that people can still make films with heart instead of product tie-ins.
August 27, 2012
Obviously it looks like Mandalorian (Boba Fett/Jango) armor from the S.W. extended universe. Its Sci-fi meets low budget spaghetti westerns with out horses or cowboys. Not the greatest movie script wise but looks great and is an entertaining pop corn kind of flick. Look forward to more movies by everyone involved in this movies production. The Colors and images are amazing.
Perhaps not the most original movie but really what is today really. I noticed for a low budget movie the special efx were not horrible. For my self when any movie CGI looks fake and unrealistic it really makes takes away from the overall movie experience.
August 8, 2012
Can anybody say ALIEN NATION?
½ July 11, 2012
Plot was okay and the prop guns were obvious Nerf guns as I have owned the same.
½ June 25, 2012
Great action and cinematography, the story had a big twist that was very interesting. I enjoyed it the entire time. It reminded me of the original Star Wars Trilogy before all the CGI and modern special effects. This movie has real down to earth practical special effects that I personally enjoy. My only complaint would be how it ends.
½ May 7, 2012
A film full of wit and dialogue with substance. An amazing story of a possible future.
½ April 7, 2012
Remember the guy who directed "Batman: Dead End"? Well here's his feature film debut. While it obviously has a low budget for a sci-fi film, it is still done with striking visuals and a fairly intriguing script. It feels very slow at times, but again, working within it's limitations I feel a liitle generous to understand. Loved that ERIN GRAY was involved.
½ March 28, 2012
So many films are failing right now that we have to appreciate film makers who are trying. Sandy Collora as something of a reputation. He's done quite well with this. Maybe he should have conserved his characters better. Great desert photography, perhaps not enough sweat. The end mechanics about the death of worlds was not that palatable. This would have pleased the old sci-fi editor, John Campbell.
March 27, 2012
Low budget desert SciFi that is fun entertaining, and very reminiscent of the original Star Wars and Enemy Mine.
March 6, 2012
this is actually a very nice low budget sci fi movie