Awards Tour: BAFTA Winners Announced

The Hurt Locker Cleans Up At The BAFTAs With Six Awards

The Hurt Locker led the pack at this year's Orange British Academy Film Awards winning six awards including Best Picture and Best Director at the star-studded awards show in London's Covent Garden. British actors Colin Firth and Carey Mulligan took Best Actor and Actress for their roles in A Single Man and An Education, whilst Avatar took two consolation awards for Visual Effects and Production Design.

Best Film

Kristen Scott Thomas
Kristen Scott Thomas
Nowhere Boy
85%

Original Screenplay
Fresh The Hangover (78%)
Fresh The Hurt Locker (97%)
Fresh Inglourious Basterds (89%)
Fresh A Serious Man (87%)
Fresh Up (98%)
Adapted Screenplay
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh An Education (94%)
Fresh In the Loop (94%)
Fresh Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire (91%)
Fresh Up in the Air (90%)

Film Not in the English Language
Fresh Broken Embraces (82%)
Fresh Coco Before Chanel (65%)
Fresh Let the Right One In (97%)
Fresh A Prophet (93%)
Fresh The White Ribbon (88%)
Animated Film
Fresh Coraline (89%)
Fresh Fantastic Mr. Fox (93%)
Fresh Up (98%)

Music
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh Crazy Heart (91%)
Fresh Fantastic Mr. Fox (93%)
Fresh Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll (86%)
Fresh Up (98%)
Cinematography
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh The Hurt Locker (97%)
Fresh Inglourious Basterds (89%)
Fresh The Road (74%)

Editing
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh The Hurt Locker (97%)
Fresh Inglourious Basterds (89%)
Fresh Up in the Air (90%)
Production Design
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (83%)
Fresh The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (66%)
Fresh Inglourious Basterds (89%)

Costume Design
Fresh Bright Star (83%)
Fresh Coco Before Chanel (65%)
Fresh An Education (94%)
Fresh A Single Man (83%)
Fresh The Young Victoria (75%)
Sound
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh The Hurt Locker (97%)
Fresh Star Trek (94%)
Fresh Up (98%)

Special Visual Effects
Fresh Avatar (82%)
Fresh District 9 (90%)
Fresh Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (83%)
Fresh The Hurt Locker (97%)
Fresh Star Trek (94%)
Make-Up and Hair
Fresh Coco Before Chanel (65%)
Fresh An Education (94%)
Fresh The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (66%)
Rotten Nine (37%)
Fresh The Young Victoria (75%)

Short Animation

Orange Rising Star Award
Jesse Eisenberg
Nicholas Hoult
Carey Mulligan
Tahar Rahim
Kristen Stewart

Comments

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Let the complaints begin! I personally think these nominations are, for the most part, well-deserved. I haven't seen all of the movies and performances given a nod here, but those that I have seen are award-worthy. That said, I finally saw Moon the other day. It was very good, but I was disappointed. I guess my expectations were too high.

Jan 21 - 06:10 AM

Dave J

Dave J

I agree with everything you had said about the 'British awards' except about what you had said about "Moon" since I have not seen as of yet!

Jan 21 - 12:20 PM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Don't get me wrong, it's well worth watching. I just expected way too much, and that was my fault.

Jan 21 - 12:33 PM

Adam P.

Adam Paddock

I felt the same way about Moon. It was a good film but more predictable that I expected and similar to other movies that were much better such as the 1970s Russian film Solaris... thought it was good but not great.

Feb 23 - 12:34 PM

Browncoat J.

Browncoat Jedi

Who cares about the BAFTAs???? Irrelevant!

Jan 21 - 06:26 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Wow, that's a "worldly" view. If it doesn't happen in the good old US of A it has no significance. Do you by chance drive a pick-up, with a gun rack, a confederate flag and a Toby Keith CD sitting on the front seat next to your spit cup?

Jan 21 - 06:32 AM

Sinister Minister

larry mcmichael

Thanks for the laugh buck. best post of the week for sure. I think cutler/pixar/captain/idiot fits your description as well.

Jan 21 - 08:38 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Thanks. But if the description did fit cutler/pixar/captain/idiot also, the clear implication would be that he is intelligent enough to have a driver's license, or operate a CD player. I doubt that's the case.

By the way, what makes one a redneck is not that one doesn't care about the BAFTA, it's that one is so arrogantly and ignorantly ethno-centric to call them "irrelevant."

Jan 21 - 09:28 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Very well put Buck.

Jan 21 - 09:36 AM

Raul McCool

Raul Valderrama

LOL!

Good one, Buck!

Jan 21 - 07:43 PM

big papa smurf

max gorokhovski

Considering its the British Oscars a lot of people do. These awards are actually held in almost the same esteem as the Oscars in North America and in far higher esteem then the globes, so they do matter. Just wish In the Loop got more nominations and at least a win. Capaldi was by far the best supporting actor in the past year. And Up in the Air is so extremely over rated, its not a bad film but it is definetly Rietman's weakest work, In the Loop was far better written.

Feb 21 - 08:56 PM

aitor d.

aitor diez

i think Batfas are importants and maybe more objectives and real than others awards such the globes...dont think that?

Feb 22 - 11:42 AM

aitor d.

aitor diez

Feb 22 - 11:42 AM

Caleb L.

Caleb Land

The Globes are a joke, they are voted on by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, which are also a joke and have been scrutinized on more than one occasion for heavy lobbying by different artists and studios to effect the outcome of noms and awards (look up the watch recall with Sharon Stone and The Muse among others)....essentially they are a group of about 88 foreign journalists that that write about the goings on in hollywood to publications outside the United States.

Feb 22 - 12:13 PM

Lundgren D.

Lundgren Dolph

Definitely. The Globes are irrelevant except to the people who have no idea of Award shows, aka, the mainstream, aka, their audience.

Feb 22 - 03:41 PM

samrocker

Sam Rocker

Yeah they are irrelevant, but we all need something to argue about for the next two weeks right?

Feb 22 - 01:06 PM

Barry

Barry Anderson

You cared enough to read about them and comment. So, I guesss you care. Or are you unable to control your own impulses? I apologize if you are, as I suspect, a 12 year old.

Feb 27 - 04:46 PM

Raul Valderrama

LOL!

Good one, Buck!

Jan 21 - 07:43 PM

James B.

James Bousema

Congratulations for Blomkamp being nominated for best director. I really hope this sort of recognition will transfer to the oscars........but it probably won't *sigh*

Jan 21 - 07:06 AM

n.die.jaedong

William Reznicek

why is there no love for "the road"

Jan 21 - 07:09 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

I haven't seen it because it was never released in my area, which is not a very small market. My guess is that a lot of people are in the same boat.

Jan 21 - 08:05 AM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

I know that movie is sooooooo underrated

Jan 21 - 08:04 PM

Ryan M

Ryan Marshall

Honestly, Avatar's music was nothing that amazing. Otherwise, I'm happy to see that for once good films are winning worthy awards. The Golden Globes left me really disappointed.....hope the Oscar's are better.

Feb 21 - 01:55 PM

Dictioninrepose555

Jon Bosley

I'm disappointed that the Road hasn't gotten any recognition at all. It was pretty damn faithful to the novel which people were resolute about holding it to, but then it's been criticized by many for being too forlorn. Post apocalyptic films don't sound off for a vast audience but Christ, it was a damn good movie.

Feb 22 - 04:13 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

I, too, have lamented its omission from the Oscars this year...especially in an expanded 10-film category. That's kinda unforgivable.

(Come on, DISTRICT 9, amazing as it was, is really incomparable to THE ROAD and doesn't have a 'Best Picture' feel about it whatsoever...and UP doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning 'Best Pic' either; it's probably going to win 'Best Animated' again...so what the hell was the point of its double-nomination?)

Feb 23 - 12:39 AM

Alex

Alex Skousen

bravo and i couldn't agree more, the road was easily one of the most underrated films this year

Feb 22 - 10:22 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Prediction:

And Browncoat...you shouldn't just disregard the BAFTA's. Since 1947 it has been the surest way for Britian to communicate genuine film and television talent across the pond.

It has helped the careers from relative unknowns in Hollywood for the likes of Sir Ian McKellen, Dame Judi Dench, Kenneth Branagh, James McAvoy, Dame Helen Mirren, John Cleese, Sir Michael Caine, Sir Ian Holm, and dozens of others.

That might not be a big deal to you, and to each his own. But without proper recognition, some of the best that Britain has to offer in the entertainment industry might have remained largely forgotten.

(It helps that the BAFTA's are not exclusively awards for the 'British'...which is why Hollywood pays attention to them).

Jan 21 - 07:20 AM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

"Prediction:

In all the acting categories, betcha the Brits get revenge for the Golden Globe shut-out..."

Wow. Apologies for tooting my own horn, but with the exception of Mo'Nique, my predictions last month weren't wrong!

Well done for HURT LOCKER. Well done for Bigelow. AVATAR, enjoyable as it was, is the wrong film to win in several categories. It did, for the most part, win for the right ones though.

Nice for MOON to get some love.

Here's my next prediction:

No Oscar gold for Mulligan & Firth.

Feb 21 - 03:05 PM

Halle

Halle Eavelyn

Don't Tase me Bro, that was a wonderfully well-thought out explanation of the BAFTAs - nice!
Dachshund, you've just explained why you have a small dog for your profile - that was a low bite at La Streep, who has gone over 20 years without a 3rd Oscar win, despite putting in at least one of the best performances a year almost every year since then. Her Julia is letter-perfect without being a caricature, which is saying something. Expect Chris Waltz to take the Oscar at least, Dexter!

Feb 21 - 11:50 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Cheers, Halle.

Feb 22 - 03:58 AM

Victoria Winters

leona tomic

No love for "Bright star"??! What a disappointment...

Jan 21 - 07:23 AM

BizarroPedro

Bizarro Pedro

I'm glad to see a Sandra Bullock & Invictus snub... but seriously, Best Music for Avatar??? you gotta be kiddin me!

Jan 21 - 07:35 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Jan 21 - 08:05 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

Im also glad to see a Sandra Bullock snub. Her performance in The Blind Side is not award worthy---good but not that good.

Jan 21 - 08:11 AM

fresh f.

fresh fresh

I also want to add its nice to see some love for Neil Blomkamp. And thats pretty awesome for Andy Serkis--i must check that flick out. Hadn't heard of it.

Jan 21 - 08:32 AM

Joe Utichi

Joe Utichi

It's interesting, Invictus was all over the longlist (http://static.bafta.org/files/long-list-0910-400.pdf) so it obviously didn't make the final grade, but The Blind Side is not actually eligible for this year's awards as it doesn't open in the UK until March 12th.

Rules stipulate that films must be released theatrically in the UK between 1st Jan and 31st December, but films which open between 1st Jan and 19th February can be qualified by Distributors by being shown to BAFTA members by December 17th. That's why many of these movies actually open in Jan and Feb in the UK.

It's really odd about Blind Side. Most "awards movies" are specifically released within those guidelines so that BAFTA glory carries forward in time for the Oscars. I wonder why they didn't do this with Blind Side...

In other news, I felt there was far too much Avatar and not enough Fish Tank. But I'm thrilled for An Education and fully on board team Carey Mulligan.

Jan 21 - 08:34 AM

PixarfortheWin

Derrick Ford

Yeah i forgot if you dont care about the BAFTA that makes you a redneck....god you are slow BUCK. I guess because you support Obama that means you are gay, got to love jumping to conclusions.....

Yeah this list is a joke. Sandra Bullock was amazing in the Blind Side, to say otherwise is retarded.

Jan 21 - 08:35 AM

Sinister Minister

larry mcmichael

Jan 21 - 08:38 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Jan 21 - 09:28 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Very well put Buck.

Jan 21 - 09:36 AM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I think the world is coming to an end.

District 9 FINALLY got some damn nominations. Thank you BAFTA Awards. Now hopefully the Academy Awards can follow suit....

Jan 21 - 09:05 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Jan 21 - 09:28 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Very well put Buck.

Jan 21 - 09:36 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Doesn't it seem like the BAFTA list of noms is more reasonable than the Globes?

Jan 21 - 09:31 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Very well put Buck.

Jan 21 - 09:36 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

I don't care who wins just as long as Meryl Streep gets nothing.

Jan 21 - 09:44 AM

Taylor Betz

Taylor Betz

So, um, Avatar gets a Best Picture nom and Basterds doesn't? Well, at least Up In The Air got one. ("Inglourious Basterds" is my main horse in the Awards race, with "Up In The Air" as my back-up)

Jan 21 - 10:12 AM

BUCK69

JIM GRONEFELD

Good point...And good choices.

Jan 21 - 10:15 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Dexter, I think it's because Basterds wasn't really in the mold of the way the British like their War movies. Having lived there for 6 years there's almost nothing more sacred to the Brits than their history, WWII being a large part of that. You should have heard the uproar when U-571 came out and I'm sure there were quite a few in the British film establishment that chaffed at the tongue in cheek nature of Basterds in addition they were probably less than pleased with Mike Myers fairly stereotypical portrayal of the British military officer. They prefer their Great Escapes to our Inglourious Basterds I'm sure.

Jan 22 - 09:31 AM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies