Weekly Ketchup: Kathryn Bigelow Takes On A Bin Laden Movie

Summary

As the film industry prepares for the start of the Cannes Film Festival on May 11, enough announcements were made this week to fill two editions of the Weekly Ketchup. Among the stories that made the cut are new projects for directors Kathryn Bigelow and Quentin Tarantino, the casting of supporting roles in Steven Spielberg's Lincoln biopic, remakes of Tomb Raider and Seven Samurai, and a Glee movie. Back to Article

Comments

Alex D.

Alex Damle

The Tarantino film sounds really awesome, assuming it actually goes through.

As for the Seven Samurai remake... why... just why.

May 6 - 04:54 PM

kungfu_sage

Ian Turner

more 7 samurai news? I'm always weary of another remake of that

May 6 - 04:55 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Everyone loves Glee. So how come it's a rotten idea? It's coming to 3-D in theaters soon. So what's the problem? Do you like the TV show or not?

May 6 - 05:00 PM

Cory

Cory B

Who is everyone? Let me poll everyone and get back to you.

May 6 - 06:04 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

ha seriously that show is pure crap. High school musical all over again.

May 6 - 06:17 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Fuck Glee. And fuck you too Kadeem.

May 6 - 09:30 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch that garbage.

May 6 - 09:55 PM

HappyBudda

Phillip Benavides

glee blows

May 7 - 09:17 AM

HappyBudda

Phillip Benavides

glee blows

May 7 - 09:18 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

A Buddhist, especially a happy one, would not insult someone or something else.

May 7 - 09:46 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

A Budda, whatever that means, might, however.

May 7 - 09:47 AM

Neil T.

Neil Tolman

To hell with glee, the ridiculous stories, its terrible computer enhanced mickey mouse club performances, and the 'snappy' mumbly dialog (Yes, I shamefully gave it a fair chance).... I'd rather watch a triple twilight marathon with my eyes taped open with a fan blowing on my face than watch a single episode of this crappy gawd awful series.

The last thing teens need is ANOTHER source telling them they're misunderstood victims.

May 7 - 04:25 PM

The Watcher

Well holy shit lol, I think I'd rather watch Glee than take another look at Paleface's bare chest or Stewart's drugged out blank facial expressions.

May 7 - 06:07 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

I'm definately not part of the "everyone"

May 6 - 08:23 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

I'm jacked for a new Tarantino movie. I actually enjoy everthing the man films. Sad Sally his long time editor is dead, but looking forward to the next flick. Wonder if the style will be slightly different or if Tarantino will begin editing his own stuff.

May 6 - 08:26 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

I asked everyone and they said you should go sit on something sharp while watching Glee

May 6 - 09:12 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Glee SUCKS

May 7 - 03:39 PM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

Tried out Glee once so I can complain. Highly overrated.

May 7 - 04:06 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Haven't watched the show so I don't know nor care.

May 7 - 05:38 PM

Eric M.

Eric McInnis

This is because we (or me anyway) are sick of all these concert movies being made.

May 7 - 07:11 PM

dudul

tenzin dudul

everybody loves glee. Seriously!

May 7 - 09:14 PM

Richard H.

Richard Han

By "everyone" you mean every brainwashed 12 year old girl.

May 7 - 10:56 PM

Dean W.

Dean Wirth

Not a fan, it's success baffles me to be totally honest

May 8 - 11:37 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Glee encourages art programs in school and inspires kids to do something beside play with their x boxes and check their iPads so it's alright by me even though the creator does seem like kinda a douche at times.

May 8 - 01:09 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

No Kadeem. Everyone does not like Glee. I do not like Glee. Proclaiming 'everyone likes Glee' is trolling. Stop it.

May 9 - 07:16 AM

Brian P.

Brian Peek

GLEE IS AWFUL

May 9 - 01:40 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Glee is a disillisioned program which gives people false hope that everyone can sing which is completley the opposite of reality because not everyone can sing and people should accept that! Yeah, I agree with RT, it's a rotten!

May 9 - 01:58 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

Good news this week! Paranorman is something I will definetely see.

May 6 - 05:25 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

The concepts of reason and logic are void and null in many sectors of Hollywood. Why the hell does The Seven Samurai need a remake? It doesn't need to be remade again.

At least all of the fresh ideas sound good, though I don't really care about Tomb Raider.

May 6 - 05:27 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Umm...A Fistful of Dollars is not an American movie, it's Italian.

May 6 - 05:33 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Thanks for catching that.

May 6 - 05:39 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Thanks for catching that.

May 6 - 05:39 PM

The Watcher

00 - Cool, can't wait to see UBL shot through the head in all of Hollywood's style! PS, to everyone saying that we shouldn't cheer someone's death - I fucking bet your grandparents cheered when Hitler kicked the bucket, so stfu.
01 - Hell yes! Cannot wait for this, it sounds so awesome, plus: Will Smith AND Samuel "BMF" Jackson in a Tarantino film? Yo, anyone hook me up with a time machine? No? Well, fuck you, then.
02 - Paranorman sounds awesome as well, Coraline is one of my favorite animated movies so I have high hopes in this one.
03 - This is actually pretty cool, I like Croft as a character and hopefully the actress they get to play her won't look like a fucking Botox-infused plastic blow up doll again.
04 - Yay, more Spielberg! Hopefully this will be the "Schindler's List" Spielberg and not the "War of the Worlds/Minority Report/Indy 4" hack that has been rearing his ugly head lately.
05 - I'm just happy Zemickis finally got that nail in the coffin housing his Mo-cap fantasies - cos they REALLY sucked. Maybe now he'll actually make a good movie?
06 - I have never seen an episode, or a clip, of Glee, and don't plan on starting now. To use Mr. Furley's favorite word in a sentence: you have to be fruity to enjoy Glee. If you got that reference - I love you.
07 - I don't like Bradley Cooper, something about him pisses me off.
08 - Pompeii sounded like it had a little bit of promise before the words "...directed by Paul WS Anderson" appeared in text, now I know it will fucking suck.
09 - I really don't even know what to say at this point - I'm so far past Angry that I'm just gonna give up. This is THE worst remake idea I've ever heard of - how the fuck does any director think that they can one-up the original? Kurosawa is arguably the greatest director who ever lived, why would you even touch his work? That's like if Joe next door tries to remake the Mona Lisa with a crayon and some glitter.

May 6 - 05:50 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

wut u said for 00 could really cause a massive problem..so I don't think you should have said that

May 6 - 06:15 PM

Why?

May 6 - 08:07 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

@08
For a few seconds, it was actually exciting news, even after I read the name. But then I read the name again...and realized it was the wrong Paul Anderson.

May 6 - 07:16 PM

The Watcher

I don't know if the other Paul Anderson would have pulled it off, either. I mean, he's a terrific director whose movies I love, but he isn't the "Titanic" type, if you understand what I'm saying.

May 6 - 08:08 PM

TheInfamousToad

Ethan Saugey

I really don't know what it is about Bradley Cooper's face that makes me want to do something painful to it... I could see him as Satan though.

May 6 - 07:49 PM

The Watcher

lol I don't think "I wanna punch him in the face repeatedly" would be the correct emotional response the producers would want to attain from the audience after seeing their Satan character... my guess is they'd want an actor who could be creepy/scary. I say cast Peter Stormare in the role, I really dug him in Constantine.

May 6 - 11:45 PM

James Baxter

Brodie Sexton-Clark

That'd be an awesome choice for Satan, plus I love Seven Samurai. WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS. I though the weinstien's were going to be cool, like Mirimax but this seriously sucks

May 7 - 11:32 PM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

Osama deserved the bullet and he was an evil bastard but Hitler and Osama Bin Laden are radically different.

May 6 - 08:28 PM

The Watcher

Yes, but the fact of the matter is they both deserved to die and have people all over the world celebrate their demise.

May 6 - 09:02 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

that was one of the reasons , and a couple more but im just really lazy to actually write it down. but ye , im not hatin on u watcher jus sayin :P

May 6 - 10:01 PM

The Watcher

I know man, it's all good. I really did want to know why, cos in my eyes it's perfectly acceptable... but then again, I find a lot of things perfectly acceptable that other people would most likely disagree with.

May 6 - 11:08 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Spielberg will most likely make this movie a good movie. I cant wait to see Day-Lewis portray Lincoln.

May 6 - 10:00 PM

The Watcher

Oh yeah, that should be epic, Day Lewis is a phenomenal actor.

May 6 - 11:46 PM

David P.

David Platt

He can make any role convincing

May 7 - 10:58 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I can all ready hear another Oscar Speech from Day-Lewis. Can't wait for this film.

May 7 - 12:27 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Nice...another moron with a keyboard who is actually stupid enough to think he has any idea what the F is up with Osama...nice of you to cheer the murder of a guy when you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of any wrong he may have done. Was Osama a jerk wad? Sure, but to this day, there is exactly ZERO evidence to suggest he had anything whatsoever to do with any attack on America...

So while folks might have cheered the death of Hitler, at least they would have been able to do so confident in the fact that they actually had reason to do so...all you have to go on is the proven obfuscation of the mass murderers on Capital Hill...

May 7 - 01:58 PM

The Watcher

My god - look! It's an actual, real Cretin! Quickly, take a picture before he slithers away back to the asshole he crawled from! I'ma take a guess and say that you're either a repig or a T-Bagger.

May 7 - 02:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

You mean aside from him claiming responsibility for no less than 4 attacks on America? Seriously what are you talking about? On second thought never mind, I've heard enough nutjob conspiracy theories from the quarter of America that's retarded at any given time to last a lifetime.

May 7 - 05:53 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Osama Bin Laden was shown on national tv and actual recordings were heard for taking full credit on all the suicidal attacks regarding all the developed countries of the world, just like Adolf Hitler went on television declaring war against the world. How old did you say you were- are you really that dense!

May 9 - 02:49 PM

Eric M.

Eric McInnis

I agree about Paranorman. That really interests me. Also, it's nice to see ol' Robert Zemeckis taking a break from mo-cap, even though I don't hate it, it's good to get a breath of fresh hair. Also, the bin Laden movie sounds really awesome.

May 7 - 07:17 PM

The Watcher

lol "breath of fresh HAIR" hahaha :)

May 7 - 07:54 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I usually agree with most of what you say, Watcher, but I have to admit I actually dig Spielberg's Minority Report. That said, I agree that The Tomb Raider news is interesting, and hope they go in the direction the next game is, which is a gritty, down and dirty take on Laura Croft. And yeah, Bradley Cooper has somethig perculiar going on with him that I cannot point out at all....

May 7 - 10:01 PM

The Watcher

No prob Crunk, I know that I'm in the Minority (hehe) with my views on Minority Report, but something about that movie just didn't click with me, I've tried watching it many, many times but never was able to finish it.

May 8 - 12:10 AM

JAKEofMIDWORLD

Jake Almond

Many have borrowed from Kurosawa hell even Star Wars but the Seven Samurai idea is idiotic. It has been done a couple of times. Come up with something else.

May 6 - 05:59 PM

Cory

Cory B

Who is everyone? Let me poll everyone and get back to you.

May 6 - 06:04 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

ha seriously that show is pure crap. High school musical all over again.

May 6 - 06:17 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Fuck Glee. And fuck you too Kadeem.

May 6 - 09:30 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

I'd rather watch paint dry than watch that garbage.

May 6 - 09:55 PM

HappyBudda

Phillip Benavides

glee blows

May 7 - 09:17 AM

HappyBudda

Phillip Benavides

glee blows

May 7 - 09:18 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

A Buddhist, especially a happy one, would not insult someone or something else.

May 7 - 09:46 AM

Sputnik99

sputnik 99

A Budda, whatever that means, might, however.

May 7 - 09:47 AM

Neil T.

Neil Tolman

May 7 - 04:25 PM

May 7 - 06:07 PM

MAMOVIES

Matheus Cassiano

Is it possible to buy tickets for Tarantino's movie, like, NOW??? This looks amazing!!!

May 6 - 06:09 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

May 6 - 06:15 PM

Why?

May 6 - 08:07 PM

todd123

Todd Garry

ha seriously that show is pure crap. High school musical all over again.

May 6 - 06:17 PM

Mr. Lee

Daniel Lee

can't wait for Tarantino's next movie as well as Spielberg's, but as for the seven samurai remake, ENOUGH WITH THE REMAKES!!!!!!! Why can't you guys remake BAD MOVIES instead???

May 6 - 06:32 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

agreed mate, but unfortunately nobody is going to bankroll an original idea...they all want a built in audience or it doesnt get greenlit....

May 6 - 08:51 PM

Subra  S.

Subra Sly

Tarantino FTW!!!

shit, seven samurai is a masterpiece, yet they're remaking it AGAIN, why???

May 6 - 06:32 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

Tarantino's new movie could go either way. In principle, though, it's promising.

Remaking "Seven Samurai" is generally a lame idea, but at least they're trying to do something new/different with it insteading of Gus Vant Sant-ing it. Or worse, Niel Labute-ing it. It worked for "Magnificient Seven" and "Bug's Life", so who knows.

May 6 - 07:14 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

@08

May 6 - 07:16 PM

May 6 - 08:08 PM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast