The top The Hustler quotes selected by the Rotten Tomatoes community. Login to submit a quote!
- Charlie Bums: It's quiet.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Yeah, like a church. Church of the Good Hustler.
- Charlie Bums: It looks more like a morgue to me. Those tables are the slabs they lay the stiffs on.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: I'll be alive when I get out, Charlie.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: You still don't see it, do you, Charlie? You are nothing but a small-time Charlie. You'd love to keep me hustling for you, huh? Wouldn't ya? I mean, a couple more years with me, scuffling around them little towns and those back alleys. You might make yourself enough to get a little poolroom back in Oakland. Six tables and a handbook on the side. Is that when you say goodbye to me, Charlie?
- Sarah Packard: You know, I've been living here for almost three years. Now in three days it seems as if I know everybody. When I pass people on the street I want to stop and say, 'Listen, I got a fella.'
- Sarah Packard: Why me?
He takes her head in his hands and kisses her. She responds but, as he holds her tighter, she starts to struggle.
- Sarah Packard: Please ... please ... please.
She pushes him away and shakes her head.
- Sarah Packard: You're too hungry.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: You look beautiful, Fats. Just like a baby ...all pink, and powdered up.
- Charlie Bums: What are you trying to do, Eddie? You beat him. You beat him bad. You wanna kill yourself?
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: What are ya, chicken, Charlie?
- Charlie Bums: Well, maybe that's it. I'm chicken.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Go on home. Just leave me the money.
- Charlie Bums: Go to hell.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Charlie, boy, you better give me that money.
C'mon now, give it to me. It's mine.
- Charlie Bums: Okay, here ...
[slaps money into Eddie's hand]
Be a damn fool.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Too high, Bert. Price is too high. Because if I take it, she never lived, she never died. And we both know that's not true, Bert, don't we, huh? She lived, she died. Boy, you better. You tell your boys they better kill me, Bert. They better go all the way with me. Because if they just bust me up, I'll put all those pieces back together again, and so help me, so help me God, Bert ... I'm gonna come back here and I'm gonna kill you.
- Bert Gordon: When are you leaving?
- Sarah Packard: In a little while. That's what you want, isn't it?
- Bert Gordon: It's what Eddie wants. He, uh, told me to give you some money.
He stands over her, pulling a wad of bills from his pocket.
- Sarah Packard: Put it on the bed. That's the way it's done, isn't it?
- Bert Gordon: [tossing it there]
That's the way it's done.
- Sarah Packard: And the way you're looking at me, is that the way you look at a man you've just beaten? As if you'd just taken his money, and now all you want is... his pride?
- Bert Gordon: All I want's the money.
- Sarah Packard: Sure, sure, just the money, and the aristocratic pleasure of seeing him fall apart. You're a Roman, Bert. You have to win them all.
- Sarah Packard: Doesn't all of this come through to you, Eddie?
Doesn't any of this mean anything to you? That man, this place, the people. They wear masks, Eddie. And underneath the masks they're perverted, twisted, crippled.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Shut up.
His eyes are shut tight; his balled-up fists rub against his temples.
- Sarah Packard: [moving to him]
Don't wear a mask, Eddie. You don't have to.
[points to Bert]
That's Turk, Eddie, the man who broke your thumbs. Only he's not going to break your thumbs. He'll break your heart, your guts. And for the same reason -- 'cause he hates you, 'cause of what you are. 'Cause of what you have and he hasn't.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: [rises]
Would you get off my back, Sarah? Once and for all, will you get out, will you GET OFF MY BACK?!
- Bert Gordon: Go ahead and play him, Eddie. Play him for a thousand dollars a game.
- Sarah Packard: Doesn't your lighter work, Mr. Gordon?
- Bert Gordon: [smiling politely] Oh, I forgot all about it.
[to Eddie, who still holds the flame] How's the hands?
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Fine.
- Bert Gordon: Good. I'd hate to think I was putting my money on a cripple.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: [angrily] Hey, whaddya say something like that for?
- Sarah Packard: It's all right, Eddie. I'm sure Mr. Gordon meant no offense. It was a figure of speech.
- Bert Gordon: That's right, Miss Packard.
- Sarah Packard: And a fact is a fact.
- Bert Gordon: She's a smart girl, Eddie.
- Sarah Packard: Eddie, look. I've got troubles, and I think maybe you've got troubles. Maybe it'd be better if we just leave each other alone.
- Bert Gordon: I don't think there's a pool player alive shoots better pool than I saw you shoot the other night at Ames. You got talent.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: So I got talent. So what beat me?
- Bert Gordon: Character.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: [laughs] Yeah. Sure, sure.
- Bert Gordon: You're damned right I'm sure. Everybody's got talent. I got talent. You think you can play big-money straight pool, or poker, for forty straight hours on nothing but talent? You think they call Minnesota Fats the best in the country just 'cause he's got talent? Nah. Minnesota Fats's got more character in one finger than you got in your whole skinny body.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: But we twisted it, didn't we, Bert?
Maybe that doesn't stick in your throat 'cause you spit it out just like everything else!
But it sticks in mine.
I loved her, Bert.
I traded her in on a pool game.
That wouldn't mean anything to you, because who did you ever care about?
'Win', you said.
You don't know what winning is.
You're a loser.
'Cause you're dead inside.
You can't live unless you make everything else dead around you!
Too high, Bert.
The price is too high.
If I take it, she never lived. She never died.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Fat man. You shoot a great game of pool.
- Minnesota Fats: So do you, Fast Eddie.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: Get on me Bert, I can't lose.
- "Fast" Eddie Felson: We really stuck it in her didn't we Findlay?
- Bert Gordon: Eddie, you're a born loser.