42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Hustler Reviews

August 12, 2014
powerful movie that hinges so solidly on Newman's wonderfully nuanced performance that one can almost be blind the incredible work of George C. Scott, Jackie Gleason and Piper Laurie. Nearly perfect.
May 27, 2014
boosted by a phenomenal performance from Newman in one of his iconic role, the hustler is a fantastic classic about morality and redemption, this is a must see for any movie buffs if not just for the exciting billards scenes and great performances
March 22, 2014
Paul Newman's performance is incredibly fun to watch despite how slow moving the plot is.
March 22, 2014
The highest rated movie in every aspect. The best Newman's performance. Never dying classic.
March 19, 2014
Impresivno. Potpuni uitak je gledati ga...
January 3, 2014
The game of pool is really secondary in this film to the story of the shark "Fast" Eddie Felson, a con-man who travels pool halls who meets his match in the legendary Minnesota Fats (played by Jackie Gleason). Newman's portrayal as the anti-hero Felson remains one of his greatest performances. Piper Laurie is superb in her role as one of the dames that you imagine Felson has met up and down the road many times, but her appearance complicates matters for Eddie. Beautifully shot in black and white, this is a character piece more than a sports movie and should definitely be worth your time.
December 31, 2013
great movie the only problem is that it drags a bit at the romance sections
January 20, 2014
The performances of Gleason and Newman, not to Mention Piper Laurie and George C. Scott, are what makes the Hustler what it is, namely a film that is more about morality than it is about shooting pool.
January 15, 2014
Featuring commanding performances from all the stars and a great script, The Hustler is a genuine American classic. Watch out for Jake LaMotta's cameo too.
December 30, 2013
The Hustler is a murky, ethically multi-layered story of revitalization, with entire sequences that feel so real and performances that have become the stuff of legend.
December 23, 2013
zeitloses meisterwerk
December 7, 2013
Aparentemente parece apenas um filme simples sobre sinuca, mas com horas de jogo e boas doses de whisky, percebemos que se trata de um fascinante estudo de personagens! Scott, Gleason e Newman estão simplesmente perfeitos em cena.
November 26, 2013
A cynical and bitter examination of human nature with excellent performances (particularly from George C Scott as the cold, vulture-like Bert) and spectacular black and white wide screen shots of the pool halls in which the film is predominantly set.
November 23, 2013
The best I've seen Paul Newman in.
KevinRobbins
November 23, 2013
No one could make that shot and you know it. Not even a lucky lush.

A pool hall hustler down on his luck meets a woman, who is a bit eccentric, but loves him the way he needs to be loved. He runs into numerous types in his line of work, from a man that destroys his confidence, to a man that destroys his face, to a man that tries to build him up and profit from his skill sets. Can the love of his life hold onto to him through this wild rollercoaster lifestyle?

"You always drink this much so early in the morning?"
"You always ask so many questions?"

Robert Rossen, director of Mambo, Johnny O'Clock, Body and Soul, The Brave Bulls, Alexander the Great, Island in the Sun, Lilith, and They Came to Cordura, delivers The Hustler. The storyline for this film is amazing and reminded me of a better version of the Cincinnati Kid. The ups and downs of the main character's life were compelling and the acting was first rate. The cast includes Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason, Piper Laurie, and George C. Scott.

"You got talent."
"So what beat me?"
"Character."

I DVR'd this picture off Encore because it starred the infamous Paul Newman and I had never seen it. I can say it was awesome and a very dramatic and compelling storyline. I loved this move from beginning to end and this is definitely one of Newman's better pictures. This is a must see and is definitely worth adding to your DVD collection.

"I don't rattle, kid. Just for that I'll beat you flat."

Grade: A
Chris B

September 8, 2011
Great performances and a great and thought provoking script give moral weight to this film and the cast just gives a stellar performance all around. A telling tale of what arrogance and pride can do if you let it control you, no matter your skill or prowess.
John B

October 21, 2013
Before bringing down the character in the Color of Money, Newman creates a great pool shark in Fast Eddie Felson. The showdown with Minnesota Fats has a wonderful buildup and gives us good tension for the final battle.
September 4, 2013
I'm basing my rating on how much I like the movie, not the quality of it. The movie is very well-made. The performances are good and the story keeps you interested. It's a fairly gritty and depressing story. I can see why it's called a classic.
lasttimeisaw
September 6, 2013
For a non-billiards-player, one might cavil this monochromatic classic seems to be a shade monotonous for the first half an hour of the running time, although one will surely be stunned by Newman and Gleason's pool table panache, but thanks to its confined layout and dooming denouement, a game predestined to lose for Newman with a prolonged battle against sleepiness and spiked by alcohol intake, all too familiar and stale to prompt a taut vibe. However, things are getting better, when Sarah (Laurie) being introduced to this male-crammed coterie, she lights up the screen instantly, a damaged cripple longing for a secure relationship, her chimera would eventually be shattered into pieces to cement her lover Eddie's (Newman) "character" which is prerequisite for him to be the top pick among the bunch. Laurie's intuitively destructive performance enables the film to be more affecting than the usual offerings where female-roles are decorative and neglectful.

Newman also stretches out in his best form to deliver the gamut of emotions through the narrative arc, deadly charming as he is, Eddie is a far cry being a complete likable fellow as he appears to be, even finally he beats Minnesota Fats (Gleason) and valiantly defies and censures Bert's (Scott) greed and vileness, he still bears a certain degree of responsibility to the tragedy occurred before, in the end, he is more a repentant sinner than a victorious hero. Each of the four actors (Newman, Laurie, Gleason and Scott) grabbed an Oscar nomination for his or her work, both competing in the supporting actor category, retrospectively speaking, Scott's flagrant menace isn't a too taxing requirement out of his comfortable zone, while Gleason's reserved taciturnity implies much more chewy undertones than he purports to be, which positively suggests his background story would spin another gripping and morally-ambiguous tale easily. Personally I give the edge to Gleason.

Other than a sterling cluster of awards-worthy performances, THE HUSTLER is elegantly conducted by Robert Rossen, a gone-too-soon figure in Hollywood manufacture (passed away at the age of 57 in 1966), conscientiously teases out the best of his cast under a low-key production paddings and represents us a visceral parable on human nature's weakness.

P.S. The next step for me to dig into Newman's oeuvre is the unofficial sequel THE COLOR OF MONEY (1986), a Scorsese's production belatedly gave Newman a golden statue which he should have won decades ago.