On DVD:
    Apr 9, 2013
  • Focus Features

REX REED GAVE IT A POSITIVE REVIEW...

...SO IT MUST BE TERRIBLE!
Devin Dulany
12-5-2012 05:55 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Miriam Perrone

Miriam Perrone

See it if you suffer from insomnia.

Jul 20 - 07:58 PM

Dale Jenkins

Dale Jenkins

I think it is a wildly inaccurate portrayal of people, who by all accounts are charming, as grouchy dolts.

Jul 7 - 12:26 PM

Peg Carlson

Peg Carlson

There is NOTHING historically correct in this movie.It is insulting to the memory of all involved.

Jan 7 - 05:08 AM

Melissa Colombo

Melissa Colombo

I was so looking forward to this...subj matter, the lead actors....yet people walked out!!! I don't remember the last time I was at a movie and that happened. It was very slow and yes, she was so uninteresting (Not Linney...her character..I didn't THINK she could be that boring) that it was an insult to FDR. Don't bother, really

Dec 28 - 01:48 PM

Claudine Jones

Claudine Jones

SPOILER ALERT. Awfully boring; slept through about 5 minutes, awoke refreshed & ready to be bored anew. Perhaps the trailer gave away so much that there was little left to surprise (except the hand job--didn't see that...um...coming. Sorry.)

Dec 27 - 09:47 PM

overeasy

Ron Dylewski

I don't see how anyone can give this a positive review. Really. Linney's character of Daisy is the least compelling "lead" I think I've ever seen. Do we know more about her at the end of the movie than we did at the beginning? Nope. In fact, we know nothing about her at all. Who is she? Did she have a life before the day FDR found her at the bottom of his dance card? We'll never know.

And we have almost no context for the entire event. The director takes a huge leap in assuming that an audience in 2012 will have any cognizance of the European socio-political scene in the late 1930s.

As to Murray? Well, he tries. I respect him for that, but the script and direction is so somnambulant that he is left hanging far too often.

Too bad. FDR is a fascinating man, but this movie does nothing to help us understand him, or his times, better....

Dec 25 - 04:56 PM

Robin Burton

Robin Burton

rex reed? is he still alive? I always thought he could be bought, but i still intend to see it.

Dec 16 - 06:25 PM

Robin Burton

Robin Burton

rex reed? is he still alive? I always thought he could be bought, but i still intend to see it.

Dec 16 - 06:25 PM

Tinseltine

Le Anne Lindsay

I agree with both Jim and David - the movie is engaging and deserves better reviews, but on the other hand, without Murray's performance would the film fall a bit flat?

Dec 16 - 05:54 PM

Jim Boland

Jim Boland

I guess all these negative reviews were written by viewers in a bad mood. I found the movie delightful. Murray was brilliant His best serious performance in movie. The story was engaging especially for those of us too young to have lived through it.

Dec 14 - 04:38 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Well, give Murray a break. It seems like he's the saving grace of the film. But it seems this is another Iron Lady-Strong lead performance, mediocre film.

Dec 6 - 11:19 PM

David Nussbaum

David Nussbaum

Yup. He's a hack and this movie (by the previews alone) seems terrible..

Dec 6 - 07:35 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile