70% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

I Hired a Contract Killer Reviews

Sarfaraz Abbasi
July 14, 2013
I Hired a Contract Killer British/German/Swedish film directed and written by legendary Finnish director Aki Kauiskaki (Le Havre). Film stars French actor Jean-Peirre Lťud (former child-actor renowned for playing in legendary French director FranÁois Truffaut's The 400 Blows) and Margi Clarke.

Set in England: A French man named Henri Boulanger (Jean-Pierre Lťud) has been working for the past 15 years in a company; all of a sudden, he is made redundant from his job. He is given a golden wristwatch as token from the company. He has been lonely and depressed, eventually attempts to commit suicide - when hanging himself with a fine rope that he purchases, fails; later, he decides to suffocate to death by turning on the gas and sticking up his head inside a stove, unfortunately that too goes off in the nick of the time due to workers strike at gas companies. Ultimately, he hires a contract killer to kill him - this wish of his lives for short, since, the next day he falls in love with a flower-seller woman. Now, he must terminate the contract or else the murderer has already hit on the trails.

Jean-Pierre is humbly innocent in this film. Excellent production designing, perfect tranquility pertained by the actors to solidify the characters. Although the movie is dark-comedy and yet it bears strong message, anyone who has gone through loneliness should certify the movie to portray original aspects experienced by ordinary hard-hit people. Pure entertainment with mesmerizing soundtracks.
August 17, 2012
A quirky crime comedy with an intriguing premise--Grows on you!!
August 16, 2012
"Why don't you do it yourself and save money?"
April 23, 2012
Un homme incapable de se suicider, d√ (C)cide d'engager un tueur pour en finir. Mais ca vie bascule, il tombe amoureux et veut rester en vie. C'est du Aki Kaurismaki, l'humour est sp√ (C)cial, c'est ''fly√ (C)'', original et la r√ (C)alisation est superbe.
February 18, 2012
Taattua Kaurismäkeä.
Hugo S

December 4, 2011
Henri Boulanger is a French man living in London. He gets fired and wants to die. But he is too lousy to do it himself so he hires a contract killer. Waiting for the man to come and end his life, he decides to go down to the pub. There he meets a woman and changes his mind. In Kaurismaki's hands, this is very funny material. Even more because you can't understand what Jean-Pierre Là (C)aud is saying. It's odd to see how he came to look so much alike François Truffaut as he grew older.
Anthony L

July 22, 2011
I Hired a Contract Killer must have taken Kaurismški out of his comfort zone, what with filming in a different country and in a different language but he excelled, quite typically and even goes on to do it again in Russia. It does seem quite apt for I Hired a Contract Killer to be filmed in England though as the humour fits quite well - even though the main character is French, it seems very British to hire a contract killer as means of suicide because you're too clumsy to do it yourself. The rather wonderful and also very British answer from the contract killer; "Why don't you do it yourself and save money".
Very funny, not as dark as you might think and very much worth seeking out, although it has taken me about 2 years to get a copy, so If you see one, buy it!
January 22, 2009
Aki Kaurismaki has this unique style in all of his movies.

Its recognizable filmmaking.
For my POV this guy does a very successful job in all of his movies. Even if this is not his best film its very watchable and enjoyable. Minimal shots, minimal dialog, specific colors and a nice story with a strong subtext.

Watch it if u have tha chance.
U might learn something about... smoking :)
July 25, 2008
Truffaut's alter ego Leaud stars in this simple, cold, little, straight story, very much in the Kaurismaki style.
December 20, 2007
YES A VERY GOOD FILM ....but and a big surprise when i show that this filmmaker was known here and have high rating ...
thanks FLIXTER
piterdevries
December 12, 2007
One of the most brilliant films I've seen in my life. Thank you Mr. Kaurismški for making a masterpiece. The acting was spot on from everyone. The story is interesting. With a small budget, but cleverly using London as a backdrop for the film, this film is nothing boring to look at. The cameo from the Clash's Joe Strummer was ace as well.
Mirrepirre
October 3, 2007
Thi one is so good! Funny and finnish.