I Am Sam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Am Sam Reviews

April 8, 2014
Iparxi kati kalitero apo auri tin taineia?? Mallon oxi... Epiko aristourgima pou tha to vlepo ksana kai ksana kai ksana..
February 13, 2012
This movie is so amazing and the acting is so spot on that I can't watch it too often because it's overwhelming how emotional it makes me. This movie is beautiful and really jerks at your heart strings.
½ June 7, 2015
Almost all the credit goes to Penn and Fanning, this film will grow on you.
July 8, 2007
Really nice little flick. It's not perfect, but it's entertaining, and the characters are quite lovable.
February 24, 2016
Very touching regardless of treacle.
½ May 11, 2013
I appreciate the film's message with my whole heart: Parenting is hard no matter how intelligent you are, and it takes a strong heart and open arms to raise up a child (but it takes faith in a God greater than this earth to truly raise one right, in my opinion). However, this is a film that wallows in sentiment more than a little bit.

The color palette for the film is odd and unorthodox to a fault, and tends to muddle the experience for me, just a bit.

That being said, the combination of efforts from the director and the stellar cast on an acting front is nothing short of a marvel. Sean Penn gives one of his most transformative performances, Michelle Pfeiffer does a magnificent job expressing subtle emotions in an otherwise not-so-subtle role, and the wonderously talented Dakota Fanning gives a fantastic little performance, and manages to stand toe-to-toe with the heavyweight acting prowess of Sean Penn.

Overall, this is a performance-driven film that seems to be striving for something more; it all just felt a little bit condescending sometimes. I know this is a favorite of many people, and I truly applaud the effort from the makers of this film, because this is very treacherous territory, but it just wasn't for me. Great performances though! Some of my favorite performances in fact.
½ January 22, 2016
I Am Sam is a decent film. It is about a mentally handicapped man who fights for custody of his 7-year-old daughter. Sean Penn, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Dakota give good performances. The script is a little slow in places. Jessie Nelson did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
August 6, 2011
Sean Penn and Michelle Pfeiffer were absolutely excellent in this. A must-see film. Heartfelt and dramatic. Such a beautiful movie. Nominated for an Oscar in 2002. It would have been awesome if Sean Penn would have won the Oscar. Overall a great movie! Bravo!
½ October 29, 2015
The first movie that made me cry
October 4, 2015
Imdb gives 7.6 from more than 110k votes and yet rt gives very poor rating for this film. unbelievable
October 3, 2015
A movie that means we'll but Sean Penn. Never go full retard
½ August 13, 2015
Best drama iv ever seen only one to ever make me cry other critics most likely dont understand how painful the circumstances in this movie actually are only thing i didn't like was how they never showed him in court for the final outcome
½ June 14, 2008
no la vi entera, pero lo que vi me dio penita
July 3, 2015
Conmovedora pelicula, las actuaciones son geniales
½ June 25, 2015
Great movie. The story was quite confusing at some points, but the whole "pacage" was good!
April 14, 2013
Why so much don rated wen it is undeniably powerful ?
June 17, 2015
Very manipulative...... but is it a bad thing? Ehhh I'm not sure where I stand on this one. Is it good or is it bad. Is it overplayed or just right? Hmmmm. If you are a fan of tear jerkers then check it out its not horrible there was some effort put into this.
June 16, 2015
Such a good film, one of Penn's best.
½ June 4, 2015
Overly melodramatic tripe.
May 17, 2015
Quite superb performances all around.