• PG-13, 1 hr. 29 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

I Don't Know How She Does It Reviews

Cynthia S

July 8, 2011
Cute. Predictable. A decent time killer. Love Greg Kinnear...not a big Sarah fan. Olivia Munn is wonderful.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

September 29, 2011
A comedy centered on the life of Kate Reddy, a finance executive who is the breadwinner for her husband and two kids.

Not bad yet not that great either. The movie really doesn't bore you it's just that the theme and plot of the story is not so great or intriguing. This is probably strictly for girls since the main idea of the story is to show that woman can do it all and they can.

Kate Reddy (Parker) devotes her days to her job with a Boston-based financial management firm. At night she goes home to her adoring, recently-downsized architect husband Richard (Kinnear) and their two young children. It's a non-stop balancing act, the same one that Kate's acerbic best friend and fellow working mother Allison (Christina Hendricks) performs on a daily basis, and that Kate's super-brainy, child-phobic young junior associate Momo (Olivia Munn) fully intends to avoid. When Kate gets handed a major new account that will require frequent trips to New York, Richard also wins the new job he's been hoping for--and both will be spreading themselves even thinner. Complicating matters is Kate's charming new business associate Jack Abelhammer (Brosnan), who begins to prove an unexpected source of temptation.
Everett J

December 22, 2011
Short, sweet, frantic, and to the point. "I Don't Know How She Does It" is a pretty typical chick flick. It's about a woman named Kate(Sarah Jessica Parker) juggling marriage, kids, and a high stress job. Parker does a good job, as does the rest of the cast. The problem I had with the movie wasn't the acting, it was the way it was presented. First each character is constantly giving a testimony about Kate. Almost like the movie is a documentary. While it works sometimes, other times it is kind of annoying and ruins the flow of the movie. At an hour and ninety minutes it flies by pretty quick, and comes off just like Kate's life. All over the place, disorganized, and very frantic. By the end you'll say to yourself "I don't know how she did it". I'm not huge on chick flicks, so really this movie isn't for me. But up until she passed out, I think my wife enjoyed it. So as long as women enjoy it, then it accomplishes it's goal.
Nicki M

November 1, 2011
So glad I didn't pay money to see this one. Kind of found the whole movie insulting. All the cliches are there including the hardened career girl who doesn't want children, but suddenly does. Give me a break.
Sarah Jessica does a voice over which makes you feel like its an episode of Sex & the City. I wish it was.
Actually making me so cross I just downgraded it another half a star. I don't think this movie does any women any favors, quite frankly, not the mum's either. . More spreading of the BS that you can do and have it all.
I can remember reading the book a few years back, and I don't think I especially liked that either, but hoped the movie would be better as it has a decent cast and I do like a good chick flick. Give it a miss.
SC007
SC007

December 15, 2012
The film was so so and a little disappointing. The film felt more like a TV sitcom than a film. I didn't like when the characters were constantly talking to the camera. That got annoying after awhile. Sarah was ok. I could have seen Jennifer Aniston play the same role. Pierce Brosnan seems out of place here. He probably did it for the paycheck.
PantaOz
PantaOz

January 3, 2012
This story of Kate Reddy (Sarah Jessica Parker) who works for a Boston-based financial management firm is somehow all around the place but manages to be a real chick-flick... of course, as a super woman, by night, she's a devoted mother to two adoring children and the happily married wife of Richard (Greg Kinnear).

The only bright spots in this movie are some of the actors' performances: I liked Allison (Christina Hendricks), Momo (Olivia Munn) and Jack (Pierce Brosnan).

It's not spectacularly unfunny or appallingly made movie - it's just a rote treatment of a familiar subject. That's why we'll find some of the movie's scenes truncated, sometimes looking just as repetitive vignettes... at the end what was presented was just as hurried as Kate but this time juggling only the same few issues rather than an entire life.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

September 14, 2011
When it comes to easy peasie lemon squeezy resolutions to life's complicated problems, I Don't Know How She Does It does that thing it does very well. The problem is, what you end up knowing could very well kill you. Yes, the movie may focus on an important and often neglected unsung hero of society (working mothers of the world-unite!). No, it really doesn't do this sect any justice by telling their tale with connect-the-dots storytelling. Despite the ridiculously chipper and chirpy Sarah Jessica Parker blowing some sunny optimism up the audience's patoot, this soft-serve comedy is as standard issue as it gets.

In this PG-13-rated adaptation of Allison Pearson's comedy novel I Just Don't Know How She Does It, Sarah Jessica Parker plays an over-stressed financial exec who must struggle with balancing demanding client Pierce Brosnan, downsized architect husband Greg Kinnear, and two young kids.

If this flick had been a sequel to a certain whip-smart Melanie Griffith dramedy, it would've been called Working Mom. Of course, if this color-by-numbers fluff was a sequel to Working Girl, it would've been more intelligently plotted. The movie plays out like Diary of a Wimpy Kid for the adult set with Parker breaking the fourth wall and scribbling her thoughts across the screen like grocery lists. Unfortunately, the easy-clean mop-up of her heroine's toils and troubles is deceptively simple. A great cast, however, nearly distracts moviegoers from such shortcomings. Brosnan, Kinnear, Kelsey Grammer, Olivia Munn, and Christina Hendricks all provide fine support for the eternally sunny Parker.

Bottom line: Sacked in the city.
Leanna E

August 1, 2011
I don't know why I watched this.
May 17, 2013
Passable Boston-NYC family drama on juggling, career choices, and marriage. SJP delivers as usual, and Brosnan & Hendricks are nice side characters, but I was totally spooked out by the weird Momo..
cappieforpresident
December 4, 2012
In not a big fan of Sarah Jessica Parker, so it probably won't come as a surprise that I wasn't very fond of the movie. Seriously, voice overs, time-freezing and going back and forth between the present and awkward talking scenes... No thanks! Moreover, the plot was dreadfully boring.
November 24, 2012
cliche filled and it not real chemistry between the leads at all but if bored you may enjoy the cast of women here (Olivia Munn, Christina Hendricks, SJP)
May 19, 2012
It's a pretty funny film. Mostly for girls though. Definately not a date movie, guys would most likely get bored seeing as then entire movie is pretty much from a female persective and deals with mostly female issues. It was more of a dramady than I really expected from the previews. Slightly mroe serious than I had originally though it would be, but it was still pretty good.
July 20, 2011
Another movie that shows how a women trys to make it in a mans world and is treated differently and it just makes you mad!
moviegirl50
March 3, 2012
I see this did not get good reviews...don't know why, I liked it and enjoyed the watch. Sarah, Greg, and Pierce were good and believable in their respective roles. It wasn't fall down funny but got a couple giggles from me, I more thought of it as a look at trying to live the impossible life of mom, wife and career woman. I Really liked how she stuck to her guns and was faithful to her husband and family even though there were other temptations...a good lesson this world could learn!
February 29, 2012
This one wasn't on my to see list or my don't see list at any price. Not even sure how I feel about this one...It was slow, not boring and definitely not a comedy. I don't care how it is billed it, it did have some cute moments but it was what it was. I didn't hate it and I watched the whole thing...I also got it for free so phew!!! Dodge a huge bullit there...If you watch this one, all eyes on Momo. That was an interesting character...
February 19, 2012
This movie plays out the same way as all the ones like it. The female of the household gets a high end job, and the male does not like it because now she is not there for the children and him. Got boring quickly
July 26, 2011
First thing I ever saw that I didn't mind Sarah Jessica Parker in...

Kinda short and kinda pointless, but lots of A & B-list actors and actresses.
holschuh4
January 23, 2012
It was okay. Hit on a few very true points about the difference between men and women in the work force.
January 11, 2012
The movie takes very interesting subject matter and reduces it down to sitcom grade comedy. But, the leads are likable, some of it manages to be clever, and the run time is under an hour and a half, so it doesn't overstay its welcome.
January 19, 2014
Reminded me of Sex and the City without the sex and the city. Maybe "Limp in the Suburbs" would have been more accurate. I guess Sarah Jessica is forced to play a mother because there may not be an audience for a floozy in her 50's running down Madison Ave in Manolo Blahniks. Not sure but it could be a flick to catch on a Sunday morning when the rest of the family is in church.