I Heart Huckabees - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

I Heart Huckabees Reviews

½ March 27, 2007
Mark Wahlberg is the balls. I never thought I'd say that.

Most of the other actors are somewhat less convincing and at times some of them actually don't seem to know what movie they are in. (Isabelle!)

Existential caper is at once profoundly enjoyable and infinitely flawed.
August 5, 2013
David O. Russell's 'I Heart Huckabees' is a unique and quirky film that proves to be too frazzled and quick. It loses it's viewer in most of the frenzy of what's going on and doesn't allow any catch up time. The cast is excellent though, with a Mark Wahlberg that really stands out as the most committed here. It's hard to follow this frantic existential film, but 'I Heart Huckabees' is an original experience that has a few tricks up its' sleeve.
½ December 29, 2010
The general opinion about this film seems curiously divided between finding it either smart or pretentious. For me it is neither, but just a quirky and rather funny story that makes welcome use of some existentialist issues and a great cast. Good, but nothing special.
August 3, 2006
Any movie that features Mark Wahlberg and Jason Schwartzman whacking each other in the face with a ball automatically deserves taking a look at.

Released in 2004. I Heart Huckabees is a wild and offbeat philosophical comedy about people suffering through various existential crises who hire existential detectives to help them figure things out. Sounds odd, I know, and it's kind of hard to really describe this movie, but basically think of it as heavy intellectual material mixed with funny midlife crisis (only existential in nature) type of stuff. I figured this movie would be really obtuse and inaccessible, but it's actually not that hard to follow or get into if oyu pay a bit of attention and have an open mind.

The cast is great. There's tons of well known names and faces, and that goes for the cameos and bit players as well. Everyone does a pretty good job, too. Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin are a joy to watch, and they make a great team. They same goes for Wahlberg and Schwartzman. Law is a bit of an asshole ,but that means he's done his job as an actor. Watts looks good in a bonnet and well, I dunno, you just kind of have to see this.

The movie is pretty good, but not great. It might be a little too heady for some, but that's what you get when you go offbeat (sometimes, but not always). It seems a bit random at times, and some might not like having the question of "what's the point?" not answered immediately, but those are really the only issues I have. That the overall revelation/answer is something I believe in anyway makes me only enjoy this movie even more.

Give it a shot, you might really find something to enjoy here.
January 7, 2010
An extremely bizarre descent into the madness that only outlandish philosophical interpretations can evoke. The complete transformations of the characters is hilarious. Everyone gave great performances, I don't think Mark Wahlberg has ever been as funny and convincing as a deranged fireman. Jude Law and his mayo story will never be forgotten, nor will his upbeat attitude. I loved the film-making and the way everything looked so childish and slightly too bright. It's one of the most lovable comedies because it knows how to be smart, but never take itself too seriously.
July 27, 2010
Shallow questions wrapped in a zany shell. The movie wants to be plot-driven, character-driven, and philosophy-driven, but the characters' plot-based actions don't really reveal anything true about themselves or their espoused philosophies. Existentialism isn't the opposite of nihilism, so I don't get why the filmmakers pitted them against each other. The characters only become better people because of orchestrated coincidences or outside human drama, not because of anything the individual is responsible for. That's neither philosophy.
April 26, 2009
Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg, Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman, Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Isla Fisher

DIRECTED BY: David O. Russell

A husband-and-wife team play detective, but not in the traditional sense. Instead, the happy duo helps others solve their existential issues, the kind that keep you up at night, wondering what it all means.

Probably one of the oddest movies I have seen of late. Definitely in a category of its own when it comes to the story. Never watched a film like this before. Characters were a bit insane, but in the good way. Loved Mark Wahlbergs character more then others for some reason. I just found him really funny. In conclusion, (cause there isn't much to say on this film) its odd, quirky, little weird, has a great cast, and has some laughs. Worth the watch. Not a film for everyone I am sure. But well worth taking a look at.
June 2, 2009
the ratings totally just for Mark Wahlberg's performance. i had no idea he could be that funny or even ACT. besides that, good luck trying to find out what the hell its about... i didnt.
June 12, 2008
Two private eyes that help people "find themselves", are hired by an environmentalist to make sense of his own life. Unqualified disaster of a film feels like an acting exercise in search of a coherent plot. Muddled comedy is dull, meandering and disorganized. A staggering waste of genuine talent. Director David O. Russell abuses his actors in an effort to exercise his pseudo-intellectual ruminations on existentialism for the sole apparent purpose of just being weird. If seeing Jude Law in a blonde wig breastfeeding Jason Schwartzman sounds funny to you, please tune in. All others should avoid this lousy piece of bombastic trash.
½ April 28, 2007
Would-be eco warrior Jason Schwartzman approaches an existential detective agency to solve his life crisis and meets a series of odd balls on a journey of self discovery. David O. Russell's surreal comedy certainly has a very impressive cast, and its attempt at mocking society's obsession with self help and hypocritical moral outrage certainly sounds good. Unfortunately none of the promise shown by the idea is realised; the whole film seemed to me to be just as pretentious and self indulgent as Schwartzman's "poetry". It doesn't really seem to make any coherent points at all, just the usual mix of forced kookiness and self-absorbed naval gazing I've come to expect from this kind of indie comedy and the whole thing whiffed of the faint aroma of bullshit it seemed to be accusing self-help gurus of. It kept me watching because of the cast, but the humour was obvious and often unfunny and it fell to Mark Wahlberg of all people to salvage the film for me, as his performance seemed the most honest and amusing. But the bottom line is that it just isn't very funny.
June 30, 2008
Albert Markovski: Everything is the same, even if it's different.

To be honest, I didn't quite get the main idea of the film, all the philosophy and existentialism stuff, probably because I slept my way through Philosophy class but I'm giving this a high rating because of the dialogues in the film.

How am I not myself?/

It is inevitable to be drawn back into human drama. /

How come we only ask ourselves the really big questions when something bad happens? /

There's no such thing as nothing.

It will make you think. And think again. The given above were just an inchling of a quarter of some of the most awesome, brain twisting dialogs you will ever hear. The acting was phenomenal. You got Mark Wahlberg, Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert, Naomi Watts and Jude Law. All of Hollywood's thespians joins forces to make a comedy about existentialism and the philosophy of living which is a bold move coming from the director but it was executed finely. Mark Wahlberg was a stand out, and so is lead actor Jason Schwartzman. Naomi Watts is hilarious in her role, Jude Law was fantastic, Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, Isabelle Huppert, all hilarious.

"I Heart Huckabees" is A-okay in my book, highly recommended. 4.5/5
March 2, 2008
I love this movie, very original comedy. Great Acting.
½ March 3, 2007
I didn't HATE this movie, but i certainly didn't like it. I found it weird, not good weird (as in Michel Gondry) but BAD weird (as in hrad to follow, boring, not funny, etc.). The only good thing was Mark Wahlberg's performance (AMAZING)... by the way, i hated Dustin Hoffman's.
November 3, 2007
Probably Wahlberg's best performance.
½ April 9, 2007
Original and partially quite fascinating comedy, delving into existensial issues and questions about life, the universe and why people do what they do. Being a very open-minded and philosophical person myself, this movie was a nice treat full of enjoyable quirkiness, even though it sometimes went overboard. Furthermore, everyone in the cast does a great job here. Especially Mark Wahlberg, who gives one of his best (if not also funniest) performances ever. Ergo, see this if you have an open-mind or the slightest interest in philosophy. If not, you will probably be put off by its artsy style and weirdness. At first, I wanted to give it only three stars, due to some pretentious scenes that bothered me a bit, but then later thought I'd give it half a star extra based on the exceptional acting alone.
½ May 27, 2007
entertaining but no real substance
April 23, 2007
Pretty funny how messed up these people are.
½ March 5, 2007
This movie makes me laugh every time I see it. Mark Wahlberg is especially funny, but the whole movie is so quirky it almost gets tangled. But doesn't. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a movie peopled with freaks.
½ October 25, 2006
Mark Wahlberg steals the show, but there isn't one bad performance in this completely dense comedy.
Doesn't work overall, the movie tries to believe that it is smarter than it is, with the majority of the actors believing themselves to be quirky enough for it to work, with the exception of Mark Wahlberg, who is hillarious.