I Know What You Did Last Summer Reviews

theunknownhobo
October 9, 2011
Yawn. So there's a group of teenagers, they kill someone, that someone comes back ... are you bored yet? Yeah me to. The classic mix of screaming beauties, testosterone riddled jocks and slightly outcast plain people running around convincing themselves that anything they do for the 90 minutes this movie lasts matters in the slightest to anyone. One of my least favorite movies ever, and certainly not what one would deem "horror".
TheGame90
March 20, 2008
It wasn't that good.....but it wasn't bad eighter
TheDudeLebowski65
½ August 17, 2011
1996 onwards saw the great Teen horror boom made famous by Wes Craven's Scream. A year later, they decided to create this mess and basically using the template of Scream as guide on creating a new trend of hip and cool horror films. Well these "horror" films fail to capture the essence of old school horror. Scream is an exception because it had so many homage's and clichés to the genre that it was fun to watch. But this? This is pure trash. Semi decent idea for a story ruined by a poor cast, acting and directing. I Know What You Did Last Summer is a poor excuse for a horror film, and I've never seen anything as bad as this. Yeah, ok maybe Urban Legends and its equally dreadful sequel. I Know What You Did Last Summer is a poorly executed horror film that should be avoided by every horror fan. This film is just a poor attempt at cashing in on the success of Scream, at least Scream was fun, but this film is plainly bad. The actors here are forgettable and they pathetic in their attempt at "acting". This was one of the worst years for so called "horror" films. This is a stupid piece of garbage that the only reason it was marketed to teens is because they would think it would be cool. Well, these films haven't stood the test of time like the horror gems of the past.
October 13, 2010
An average slasher film with a bunch of TV stars from the 90s. Really, it's nothing special, I think people only talk about it because of the title, I know I've made plenty of humorous remarks with it. Overall this movie has no surprises, it's just so-so.
½ August 9, 2011
Jennifer Love Hewitt is the only thing this movie has to offer. It's too similar to Scream as it was made a year after.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
It wasn't good but it wasn't bad.
May 26, 2007
I bet this foursome was, like, THE Hollywood dream team back in the day. As it currently stands, it's only somewhat interesting in the beginning, seeing their portrayal of high school drunkenness, Ryan Phillipe going crazy, Sarah Michelle Gellar as the super bitch. It's a time capsule movie if there ever was one.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 9, 2007
i know im rating this a bit high, but this is one of my greatest guilty pleasures. ive seen this film more than a dozen times and i just enjoy it for mindless entertainment.
March 11, 2010
Basically the forgotten cousin of Scream, without the excellent criticism of the horror genre. It's got a lot of atrocious acting and probably one of the worst killers in a horror movie. Not only is it improbable, it's physically impossible on so many levels. I would only say that it is fun to watch because it sums up the level of intelligence that the 90s produced.
3niR
January 28, 2010
A lot of mystery to solve to find the killer. This was a bit freaky at some point. But wasn't that good.
½ September 24, 2009
After about 5 minutes, I couldn?t have given a toss what these idiots had done the previous summer.
½ January 19, 2007
Four teenagers celebrate their last days in a small fishing town and end up on a beach, drinking heavily. When driving back into town they hit a man crossing the road and decide to dump the body in the sea rather than risking their futures on a manslaughter charge. However when dumping the body the man turns out to be still alive. They drown him and vow never to speak of it again. However one year on someone is stalking the four and begins to take revenge for the previous summer's actions.

This was made once Scream made teen slasher movies cool again. However here there is none of the ironic humour or self-referencing that made Scream good. Rather this is a straight up horror thriller that lacks anything to make it special or standout from the rest. The plot revolves around a murdered fisherman, with several red-herrings thrown into the mix. The red-herrings don't really work and to be honest you pretty much don't care about the ins and outs of who's doing the killing. Really however the plot is a bit of a disappointment and it doesn't really involve you.

The biggest failing of the film is the performances. The murderer is not as effective as ones like Ghostface or Freddy - partly because he lacks screen presence but also because we all feel sorry for him - after all he's not crazy, he's only taking revenge. The teens in question make it worse - with the exception of Love Hewitt and maybe Prinze they are pretty unpleasant people - spoilt brats mainly. From the start onwards you want them to be killed - it makes it even harder to care about what's going on when you don't care if the characters live or die.

Overall this is a rather tame horror movie - low on bodycount and gore, only some action scenes are tense and exciting but most things you can see coming a mile away. The red-herrings are left unexplained at the end (why is Ray the only one not targeted?) and the end is both lazy and insulting - and of course leaves it open for a sequel. Great.
August 10, 2009
The characters aren't interesting enough for us to be scared for them.
deano
½ October 30, 2006
Whoa! What an absolutely teen slasher flick I ever saw since Scream with plenty of action and thrills and the foursome cast are pretty good. This seems to be a trend of the TV series' Dawnson's Creek meets Halloween.
July 27, 2006
I remember watching this at the time of it's release in the cinema, where like most films in theis genre the cinema made it a lot more jumpy than watching it on dvd.

It was still a good watch, but where was the gore?
February 2, 2008
the paradigm of crappy teen slasher flicks
DragonEyeMorrison
½ January 7, 2008
I wish i didn't knew.
puffchunk
September 24, 2007
Pretty dumb.
½ September 22, 2007
Derivative tripe from start to finish. You know something's amiss when you start cheering on the killer.
thmtsang
July 13, 2007
Teen flcik full of murder and how done it!