RT on DVD: A Sweet I Love You, Man Deleted Scene, Zooey Deschanel's Latest, and More

Plus, new flicks from Zac Efron, Zooey Deschanel, Oscar nominee The Class, and a TMNT super set!

17 Again -- 57%

Disney star Zac Efron continues to transition out of the 'tween niche with 17 Again, his first starring vehicle after hitting stardom as the singing jock in the High School Musical films (a supporting role in Hairspray earned kudos, as did the forthcoming Me and Orson Welles, which was directed by Richard Linklater and debuted at the Toronto Film Festival). In 17 Again, an unhappy former basketball star (played in middle age by Matthew Perry, who we hope Efron doesn't grow up to resemble) wishes his way back into his 17-year-old body (Efron) to relive the glorious high school life that he once had. The only catch? Save his grown-up geek of a best friend (Thomas Lennon), nobody knows who he really is, including his estranged wife (Leslie Mann) and his two teenage children. Truth be told, the formulaic fantasy wasn't as bad as some critics feared, thanks in great part to Efron's winning charm, resulting in a Tomatometer rating just shy of Fresh. For a handful of Zac-tastic bonus features (including a commentary track with Efron available on BD-Live, OMG) you'll have to pick up 17 Again on Blu-ray.

Next: Zooey Deschanel as Paul Dano's manic pixie dream girl

Comments

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

38% for gigantic is being nice. The only reason it doesn't get just 1 star is the inspired performance by John Goodman.

I love Zooey Deschanel, and that being said, this is easily her worst performance.

Aug 10 - 07:20 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I'd get "I Love You, Man"...that's about it.

Aug 10 - 09:46 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

I would get the first two TMNTs and possibly the animated one. But I have absolutely no desire for the third one. At least Secret of the Ooze can be called childish fun.

Aug 10 - 11:21 PM

707PG13

Patrick Garcia

Ain't nothin wrong with a lil Ninja Rap! Oh, and I thought 17 Again was awesome.

Aug 11 - 12:10 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Okay, seriously people, I have said this before and i will say it again: The original TMNT movie is one of the most underrated movies of our childhoods! 2nd one went the way of Schumacher's Batman, but the 1st TMNT is actually really REALLY good.

I know that most people remember their childhood favorites as far more entertaining than they really were at first viewing (something i hope the TF2 and GI Jose fans will one day realize!) But TMNT I is just as awesome and dramatically poignant (at least for a Sat morning kids show) Today as it was in the early 90s.

Re-WATCH IT TODAY!!!!

Aug 11 - 09:39 AM

highdough

Richard Blascock

Uh, rizzyh, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies wasn't from MY childhood. Remember, not everyone is the same age as you.

As for the I Love You, Man deleted scene, I think it's pretty obvious why it was deleted. Of course, that's the case with most deleted scenes, I find.

Aug 11 - 11:08 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Ninja, Ninja...RAP!

Man, that was so good. Also good: Ernie Reyes, Jr. and Sr. Whatever happened to those guys?

Re: highdough, it's kinda sad to realize that there are younger generations who weren't born in time to cherish the first Ninja Turtles movie like we do. Makes a girl feel O-L-D. Sigh. So what's the equivalent of TMNT for you? Power Rangers? (Just guessing, but curious to know.)

Aug 11 - 12:37 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

We shouldn't assume he's younger Jenny. Highdough could have fond memories of the Wizard of Oz. Never underestimate RT's appeal to the elderly. RT appeals to all races, creeds and sexual orientations and that's just in Bob S. :)

Aug 15 - 07:53 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I Love You, Man was hilarious, I enjoyed 17 Again, an entertaining pic, The Class is exceptional cinema, everyone should watch that movie, rent it ASAP, or buy it. Alien Trespass was a fun movie, I really enjoyed it. I may or may not get any of them, but The Class would be the first pick

Aug 11 - 04:03 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Thank you, Rotten Tomatoes. Without you, I would have never found the film "The Class".

Not to mention "Gamorrah" "Waltz With Bashir" "Let the Right One In" "Diving Bell and the Butterfly" "Orphanage" "Lives Of Others" "Pan's Labyrinth" "Devil's Backbone" or "Cronos".

These films are muy bueno, baby. Bellissimo!

Caio.

Aug 12 - 06:24 AM

Ryan M

Ryan Marshall

Absolutely nothing looks good here. I am just waiting for stuff like UP and Star Trek to release

Aug 13 - 08:29 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Aug 15 - 07:53 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday