I Love You, Man Reviews

½ May 4, 2013
I Love You, Man is an often surprising, mostly hilarious and offbeat Hollywood comedy. It's expertly performed by a wall to wall cast of A list comedians and fresh 'slice of life' situations that are both low key and deliciously lewd. It has empathy and sensitivity for its characters, yet still manages to be raunchy - in a good way. Written and directed by John Hamburg, the auteur behind Meet the Parents and its sequels, the script delivers the laughs and more depth than this type of studio movie usually provides.

Paul Rudd, arguably the finest straight man working in comedies today, plays Pete, a repressed and slightly wimpy fellow who has no 'guy friends. His new fiance, Zooey, Rashida Jones has decided that the one thing missing before the wedding is a friend/best man, and Rudd is thrown into the cruel world of modern male bonding to find a pal. Jason Segal, plays Sydney, his budding BFF, a unfiltered and painfully honest oddball. The film is all about their on again, off again, 'bromance'.

The bench strength in the cast is the movie's ace in the hole. Rudd's parents are played by the great Jane Curtin and J.K. Simmons, his gay yet masculine brother is played by Andy Samberg, and Jamie Pressly and Jon Favreau play Zooey's best friend and her blowhard poker playing husband. All get stuff to do, and make the material really sing. Rashida Jones is saddled with a generic nice girlfriend character, but infuses it with her unique warmth and offbeat energy, a wise casting decision for an underwritten role.

What is special about the film is its quiet empathy and acceptance of various lifestyles and its unwillingness to trade in stereotypes. When Rudd is 'fixed up' with a potential best friend (Thomas Lennon), his date misunderstands and believes they are on a romantic first date. The subsequent tongue kiss is hilarious and cringe worthy, but is not a condemnation or mockery of the love struck man. We feel empathy and humanity towards him not because he is ridiculous, but because the film is about all of our missed signals and romantic mistakes.

This is unmistakably a Hollywood comedy, not an offbeat indie quirkfest, but handled by wonderful cast and a solid, cliche busting script, it was really a pleasure.
April 4, 2013
Funny but cliched. I don't really get what the point of such a movie is, but maybe they don't all need to have a point if they make you smile for a few moments.
March 21, 2009
Funny.
January 22, 2009
The ultimate (and possibly first and only) 'bromantic' comedy. Rudd and Segal make the perfect couple and orchestrate phenomenal chemistry with a brilliant script and hilarious dialogue. 4/5
September 29, 2010
Hilarious. Meet-the-Parents-like movie.
May 23, 2010
Much better than expected for this Bro-mance comedy! Quite funny all the way through, without being too silly, childish. Far from brilliant but good to see a twist on the rom-com genre.
January 3, 2012
It has its moments but there isn't much to I love you, Man but Paul Rudd and Jason Segel are both very likable and this helps a lot. It's basically a nice idea but feels like a story has been invented just to string a load of buddy scenes together, it's not all bad but I'm being generous with my star rating. Me and my bestie are much more likely to sit down and watch Bill & Ted together. Hey, I'm a Hulk fan.
July 20, 2011
A hilarious movie exploring the subtle nuances of human relationships. It was brilliant to have the gay brother (I see you Andy Samberg!) to distinguish between straight dates, gay dates and man dates--the subject of this movie. Despite all of Peter Klaven's awkward flaws and your mutterings that you would never be seen with him in public, you sympathize for him throughout his painful montage of "Mr. Wrongs" and the audience is swept up in the effortless magic when he meets Sydney and everything just flows and feels so right. The 'moments of truth' that touched me most were when Peter could be honest with Sydney the way he hadn't been with anybody else in his entire life. Don't let him go, Peter! You're reminded what it means to find somebody special and absolutely root for them analogous to the way you root for a couple to get together in the end. Only 4 stars because of too much "awkward white dude" humour, it was 20 minutes too long and because Rashida Jones is the only eye candy in this movie.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ September 3, 2011
I Love You, Man is one terrific comedy film with a great cast. Starring Paul Rudd and Jason Segel, this comedy surrounds a story set around Peter Klaven (Rudd) who has no male friends and because he is getting married, has no prospects of getting a best man. He meets Sydney Fife (Jason Segel) and they hit it off and become friends. I Love You, Man is a fun, good hearted comedy that has plenty of laughs. The script is well written and John Hamberg has made a wonderful film. There's plenty of laugh out loud moments in the film, and this film is a lot of fun to watch. The chemistry between Segel and Rudd is terrific. The film is very well done, and it's much better than most comedies that have come out recently. I thought that the idea was refreshing and used a totally different idea for its premise. The film doesn't try to copy anything other previous comedy, and its fun to see. The jokes are well thought of and this film simply is a hilarious film to see. As a fan of the rock band Rush, I thoroughly enjoyed their cameo in the film. I didn't expect it. I Love You, Man is a terrific, and because of its cast, it's far better than most films of this caliber. I think that this film is well done, and very entertaining. A well made comedy with plenty of laughs.
January 22, 2011
Love this movie so much.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A funny film!
½ June 12, 2011
The premise is very simple, but it works to perfection. The performances from these two hilarious stars are very memorable, and make the tried movie genre of bromances feel fresh again. In fact, it may be one of the best of it's kind.
movieguru12
August 11, 2009
Just a great comedy with an awesome cast. Paul Rudd & Jason Segel were awesome and Andy Samberg was great as Paul Rudd's gay brother. Rashida Jones and the rest of the cast were great as well. Just an hilarious movie that I want to slap da bass with :)
½ April 22, 2011
The movie is very unique and doesn't rely heavily on its premise. Good chemistry between Rudd, Segel and Jones makes this movie.
February 12, 2009
A wonderful comedy.
BEACHBUNNI
January 24, 2009
Paul Rudd is getting married, but has no guy friends who can be his best man. In an unrealistic move, he goes on a series of 'guy dates' to find a friend who can stand at his side on his wedding day. light-hearted comedy.
puffchunk
½ October 7, 2010
I laughed a lot, which is always a good sign. Jason Segel is pretty good at being this character. Paul Rudd is good at making you uncomfortable as he bumbles around life. Not a whole lot of movies out there are about a guy with no male friends trying to get some. This is a good theme since it applies to a lot of real life people.
Japes
August 15, 2010
I watched this movie at 11pm while I was babysitting. Some parts I thought were very funny, however I don't think it was laugh out loud funny like The Hangover was. Half way through, I found the movie kind of dull and I started losing interest. As you can guess, I fell asleep. The actual story line was good, a man going on "dates" with other men to find a close friend to hang with. I thought it was very clever and funny. It just didn't keep me interested.
August 3, 2010
I can admit I was wrong. This movie turned out to actually be enjoyable, and the premise was good. No Apatow to be heard of, but his collaboraters wreaked of his presence.