I Love Your Work Reviews

½ March 30, 2008
I personally believe this movie is way underrated, I suppose to like a movie of this calibre one needs to have an acquired taste to it. It flies beneath the radar because it tackles I suppose what you could call the 'truth' of the movie business and even the human psyche as a whole.

The first time I saw simply the end of it, and it awed me...that I recommended it to Dij but hadn't seen the film in its entirety to earlier today.

In this movie we learn of an actor, Gray Evans [Ribsi], who is married to actress, Mia Lang [Potente] and their marriage is suffering terribly. On top of this he finds that he is slowly losing his grips upon reality and the entire story becomes his entire paranoid obsession with a young film student, John Eckhart [Jackson]. This young character seems to remind him of himself before he caught the famous bug and became a completely different person.

Various things occur where he tries to mend his relationship with Mia, or when he tries to portray their relationship to the public as completely normal whilst the tabloids proclaim them being 'stormy and tempestuous'. There are some parts in this film that get extremely confusing as it shows how easily his dreams become lucid and although he thinks they are real they just devour him completely.

The finale, which I'm not going to share is quite something indeed. An ironic metaphor in itself.

What drew me to this film was the dark premise of the story, Franka Potente [who is one of my favourite actresses] and Ribsi, of course.

This movie simply shows that Ribsi is quite believable in playing yet another role where one is masquerading as 'normal' person whilst facing turmoils within themselves.

Not for everyone, and I've noticed many actually aren't interested at all in this. I find this story quite deep and utterly terrifying.
November 12, 2006
Very much like an acid trip. Not anything worth remembering.
February 13, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]In "I Love Your Work", Gray(Giovanni Ribisi) apparently has it all. He is a famous movie star, married to a beautiful actress, Mia(Franka Potente), and is also an amateur photographer. But that veneer is starting to crack. His marriage is coming apart at the seams, Elvis Costello is leaving messages and Gray fears he is being stalked. One day, he wanders into the safe haven of a video store where he meets store employee John(Joshua Jackson), a fan, and his girlfriend, Jane(Marisa Coughlan), an artist.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"I Love Your Work" is an intriguing movie about the price of fame and being careful what you ask for. But it also serves as a commentary on the symbiotic relationship between the audience and the performers and what each hopes to gain in the bargain.[/font]
½ December 11, 2007
Good film, kind've weird and a little disturbing though. Great performance by Giovanni Ribisi.
December 28, 2007
This film had absolutely everything in it for me to love - hell, adore it!, but in the end I just couldn't find anything that interesting in it's characters other than the actors playing them.
½ August 1, 2007
Wasn't sure what to make of this dramatic riches-based story, although I did like seeing some sharp acting in some moments. Ribisi is odd in more than a few scenes, but seems entertaining overall.
I wasn't expecting Nicky Katt to spontaneously burst into song, but I guess director Goldberg had a vision.
I passed up the chance to see 'The Green Mile' while watching this film. I should've watched the Stephen King feature instead.
½ July 27, 2006
Giovanni Ribisi does a great job in this film... cracked out and crazed... good stuff, with a strange variety of big name actors/actress'... weird movie... but interesting...
August 22, 2010
I finally caught I Love Your Work this past week and I have to say that Giovanni Ribisi really amazes me as an actor! He really really nailed the whole paranoid-rich-actor-wanting-a-simpler-life bit. And it worked! I completely sympathized for him. This little flick made me NOT want to be famous. The rest of the cast was all top notch too, including Jason Lee, one of my all-time favorites. He plays a creepy little character who apparently harasses actors until they get mad and knock them out in full view of a cop. Joshua Jackson plays a video store clerk who wants to make movies and eventually helps Gray Evans (Ribisi) finally crack. Christina Ricci plays the gal who Gray wishes he could be with and live the life that she and her boyfriend John (Jackson) actually have. They are sweet and romantic and very much in love, even though they don't have the rich life. It doesn't help that Evans thinks his wife Mia Lang (played by Franka Potente) is having an affair with none other than Elvis Costello! This cat has got a whole lot going on in his life, going to premiers, filming a movie, and always partying. Like I said, finally, he cracks and boy does he do it well. I've always loved watching Giovanni peform, whether it was in Gone In 60 Seconds, Lost In Translation, "My Name Is Earl" or another amazing performance in The Gift. This was the first and only directorial effort so far by Adam Goldberg, who also co-wrote, produced and edited. A classic auteur in the truest sense. I unfortunately gave this flick three stars just because I believe the story was a bit weak and the ending wasn't the clearest. But it was still a very good movie that was very moving and powerful. And if you want to see a great actor performing a great role, try checking this one out!
July 14, 2008
I would've gave it more than 3 stars if it wouldn't have left me so confused.I understand what happened but my god!what is it with the crazies Giovani Ribisi always plays?Interesting movie but definately not for those who like the plot laid out nicely on a platter.
½ February 27, 2008
Definitely not a big fan of this movie, and am starting to realize Ribisi isn't one of my favorites. Barely gets that last half star because... well, I guess it had its moments.
August 29, 2007
I like everyone involved (Goldberg, Ribisi, Ricci, Lee, etc.). However, I did not like anything about this boring piece of steaming cowshit.
March 22, 2007
This movie had an interesting premise but after watching it, I found it to be quite boring didn't really see any point to the story! Another one of those films that makes absolutely no sense and loses the viewer as the movie continues to progress!
½ January 31, 2007
i love the acting - ribisi has long been a favorite of mine. i thought i was enjoying the movie but afterward i wasn't so sure. i think it's a pretty good flick but i'd have to see it again to be sure.
January 22, 2007
This movie is so Crazy it's perfect! Talk about obsession and someone being unstable, this movie is one of the best dramas I've ever seen~
December 31, 2006
i love this movie but people dont get it. joshua jackson did an awesome job in this movie. it was kind of like the movie buffalo 66. i want to see more movies by this guy!!!
½ April 20, 2012
The mostly lazy of screenwriting. Young actor is bothered by his fame and people recognizing him until it serves his own ends and then wields it like a weapon. YAWN.. It's like any hack movie that set in California, with characters who are actors or writers.. yes write about what you know.. so learn something and show it don't trot out the same old wank about how hard life is when you are famous.

The cast, with some fine actors, drown in a sea of nothingness and can only have appeared because of the director. Uninteresting shot and low on budget and just about every other score.
October 5, 2009
as kind of pretentious art films go, this one's not unbearable. it's got more than a few nice touches. recommendable? just barely, because of what it does with the stalker scenario. can't promise i won't lower its rating at a later date.
½ August 29, 2009
In spite of a cast full of young, compelling actors and a battery of clever cinematic tricks, "I Love Your Work" came out as a preposterous, confused mess. Full of squandered potential, this film is perfectly performed and shot, but based on a script that's got far more ambition than intelligence.
January 11, 2009
:rotten: [b][i]I love your Work is one of the most horrendous, pointless and boring films I've seen in my whole life. It is an attempt to show the audience the disadvantages of being famous, but the movie is so sloppily done that I never cared about it, I just saw Giovanni Ribisi playing a paranoic actor who actually sucked at his profession surrounded by furniture actors with irrelevant dialogues, unnecessary scenes and extremely confusing and incoherent screenplay. I'm sorry to admit it but I fell asleep while I was intending to watch this crap.[/i][/b]
January 10, 2009
It's an ugly and boring film. The fil tried to show the disadvantages of being a public star but it was badly made.