43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

three stars
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 19, 2011
When four 40-something college friends meet up for their annual reunion, things start to spiral out of control, and a pact they made as young men is revisited.

Well made film. I simply was shock on how much I enjoyed this film and how diverse and original it was. Great directing, acting and amazing music, style and sound. All men should watch this film, I simply somehow identified myself in this film yet somehow pity the men in them.

Richard Thomas Jane), Ron (Jeremy Piven), Jonathan (Rob Lowe) and Tim (Christian McKay) are old college friends that gather annually for a week in Big Sur to celebrate their friendship and catch-up on each other's lives. They seem like typical men in their forties - all with careers, families, and enormous responsibilities - but like most people there is a lot more beneath the surface.

As the week progresses, they go down the rabbit hole of excess as mountains of drugs are consumed to a blaring rock 'n' roll soundtrack. Parties with much younger women spin out of control. Exhausted and run ragged, they bare their souls to one another revealing the disillusionment with their lives. As the truth emerges, the reunion takes a much darker turn when a promise from their past is brought to light. From director Mark Pellington, 'I Melt With You' is a visually dazzling, wild and wooly trip deep into the male psyche, driven by four amazingly committed and profound performances.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

March 27, 2013
"I Melt with You" is an insufferable, derivative and dreary mess of a nihilistic movie whose cliched idea of a mid-life crisis involves a Porsche or two. If I got a kick out of self-loathing on this scale, I would watch "Mad Men." On the plus side, this all makes me feel positively well-adjusted. The movie's sole insight is the fact that as people grow older, they cannot handle alcohol and drugs like they once were able to. If only the barely developed characters in this movie thought about this before...

...Richard(Thomas Jane), Ron(Jeremy Piven), Jonathan(Rob Lowe) and Tim(Christian McKay) get together for their annual reunion, this time in Big Sur, California. While they enjoy hanging out together, their lives are otherwise a mess. Ron has the SEC up his ass. Jonathan is dissatisfied with his role as a pill pusher.(If that's how he feels, then he can volunteer at a free clinic or write a hefty check to Doctors without Borders to salve his conscience.) By the movie's own murky logic, worst off is Richard who is a high school teacher. Tim's problem is much harder to get at, only being referenced about halfway through and may somehow involve Sasha Grey. That's also the point at which any sign of a plot kicks in which involves the guys' overreaction to a promise made 25 years before, instead of being ashamed of having written such a bad piece of poetry.
SC007
SC007

December 1, 2012
The performances are the best thing about the movie. It kind of reminded me of movies like Hurlyburly and Very Bad Things. In a weird way the film reminded me of a very serious and dark version of the Hangover. The film felt like a play. The camerawork was terrible here. I understood what the director was going for, but felt it misfired. Also the editing wasn't good.

On a positive, all the actors are well cast. Thomas Jane, Jeremy Piven, Rob Lowe, and Christian McKay all shine here. They have a great on screen chemistry. Carla Gugino also does a great job with her supporting role here.
Cameron W. Johnson
Cameron W. Johnson

December 19, 2011
Stop me if you've heard this one: Ari Gold, Sodapop Curtis, the guy from "The Mist" and Orson Welles walk into a bar... and everyone in the bar feels like killing themselves. Heck, just looking at the cast list is depressing enough, because Jeremy Piven's show is over, Rob Lowe hasn't been noticed in anything in years, Thomas... June, or whoever he is probably should have been big by now, and Christian McKay's growing a beard and looking like he's putting on a few, which only reminds us of poor ol' Orson Welles eating himself to death. Well, maybe it's not all a bad thing, because as we can see, McKay's still convincing as Welles, and he's not going to break from that reputation of being Welles any time so soon, so we may as well fire up the biopic while we have the chance, because as this film taught us, we only have so much time in life and youth... before bad stuff that's not likely to happen to you starts biting us in the rump. Okay, let's not beat around the bush; the only thing that this film teaches us is that Orson Welles knows how to party and that Rob Lowe is still alive. Man, that guy's gotta be, like, 94 or something, and he's still handsome, whereas Jeremy Piven will look like a younger Jason Lee in "The Goods", and then turn around to look like "he's" the one who's about to play old Orson Welles. How many times do I have to mention Orson Welles before you guys actually figure out who the heck Christian McKay is? I don't know, but you probably have a better chance of hearing about "Me and Orson Welles" than hearing a good review of this film, so I guess it seems appropriate that I should give this film a good review, seeing as no one has heard of me; but if you have, then you definately know how no film escapes criticism from me, and let me tell you, this film is most certainly no exception, because there's plenty wrong with this mess.

Seeing as this is an independent film, it should go without saying that things get slow and overdrawn, but when it's not that, it's a touch too intense. By that, I mean that the film is rather overstylized, featuring too much music - some of which being inappropriate for the scenario - and sometimes overly flashy cinematography. Sure, the cinematography is handsome, but it's all part of the hyperstylizing that makes much of the film rather hollow. It doesn't help that much of the writing is pretty generic, particularly when it comes to the characters. Our "Friends-From-Their-Youth" team of leads are lifted straight out of chapter 29 of "The Big Book of Character Cliches", with McKay being pretty much a combination of all kinds of cliches: smart, nice, gay and atheist (Some redneck somewhere is saying "Dat dur's conterdictionary!"), and everyone else being one line from the book, such as the regular dad - played here by Piven -, the quiet guy going through some kind of pain - played here by Lowe - and, of course, the party dude that's still keeping the party going no matter what his age - played here by Jane -; and with these traditional characters come their tradition storyline, from their development - what little there is -, to their comeuppance, only this time, we're bashed over the head with some crazy stuff that's totally unexpected, because you wouldn't expect anyone but "Lifetime" to pull something this manipulative. No, it's not that bad, but the film doesn't so much pull at your heartstrings, as much as it pokes at them, poking and poking until you're left down in the dumps by this extreme manipulation; but it's understandable why the film would push too hard, because you have to put some work into making these druged-out, self-indulgent jerky leads compelling. Too bad someone beat them to the punch, because the manipulation would have gotten out investment in the leads, if the leads weren't already compelling, because the performers behind them are so strong and charismatic; or maybe it's just the music that's so charming.

Although the soundtrack's prominence gets to be overwhelming, it's still a pretty good soundtrack, really fitting the party tone when it's going, and with neat sound design tricks complementing the music, you can expect one heck of an fast-pace simulation of the party experience. We're led through it all by our performers, who carry the more chipper moments of the film with charm and strong chemistry. However, when the party dies down, bleakness rises, and although that bleakness is a bit too much of a party pooper, considering that it's much too manipulative, the performers play it with genuineness. Christian McKay oozes quiet presence, being subtley charming, but when things go down, he's the first man to play up the weight of the situation, and the others soon follow. McKay further shows us his great acting abilities, but Thomas Jane, Rob Lowe and Jeremy Piven show just what they can really do, giving layered, heavily emotional performances that, when working off of each other, make the chemistry change smooth. All throughout part one of the film, you feel the happiness and comradery, but at part two, when tension rises, you feel them as they realize how little they actually know, and you're left on the edge of your seat, wondering what new and unexpected turn will be taken next, because at that point, the joy turns sower and you realize that no one is same, from themselves or each other. Now, these aren't necessarily masterful performances like I'm making them sound, but they're not suppose to be, and our leads know that, not playing over each other and giving equally solid performances that carry the film through thick and thin.

When it's all said and done, cliched characters eventually fall into unpredictable predicaments, but even then, the film could have been more inventive, because those moments of bleakness are all too melodramatic and manipulative; but no matter what highs or lows the film hits, it can always run back to its fine style - often overwhelming though, it may be -, but most of all, its performers, all of whom bring strong, layered performances and sharp chemistry that go from charming to tense, making "I Melt With You" a chiller of an ever darkening experience.

3/5 - Good
Christopher H

March 11, 2012
With a full house of brilliant actors stepping outside of their most recent endeavors, each man brings a painful and endearing nature to the film that ultimately gives it the overall feeling of impending doom. So many emotions mix into this film, creating a truly unique emporium of feelings, with the themes of suicide, brotherhood, and the guilt with covering up murder, I Melt with You not only succeeds in delivering a well paced and original story that keeps you guessing as to what the end goal of the film may be, it also creates an emotional drama unlike anything before it.
February 2, 2012
A friend recommended this to me last year and I finally got around to watching it. He even had the balls to compare it to 'Requiem for a Dream'. After watching, I can safely say the only similarity between the 2 films is they involve drugs. This is more like 'Basketball Diaries' meets 'Spun' in the worst way possible. Foggy camera work. Terrible use of music. Dated as hell. Lead by 3 tv actors (all of which I normally like, except for Rob Lowe) who play extremely unlikeable, pretentious characters. And a ridiculous, uninspired ending. Tries to be philosophical far too often. This film was garbage. I hated it. And I normally love drug movies.
August 16, 2012
Visually, had a lot going. It was easy to buy into the friends' relationships. But short of that, it's just a slow burn as they start bugging out (drug induced) and getting emo about their lives leading to this reunion. The music was solid, the vibe was good right until about the 50 minute mark... then it continues its freefall this time to a much darker, more confusing place you're not to understand until the ending. Which comes, goes, and you're left wondering wtf happened.
August 18, 2014
This movie is depressing as fuck but it was beautifully shot and features a lot of drug use. It's still not exactly a "feel-good" movie nor is it something I'd ever want to watch again.
Skyko T.
June 7, 2014
I watched I Melt With You last night and although I thought there were a couple flaws, found it refreshingly original and very well done for an independent!

I came here to Rotten Tomatoes and to my surprise read all of these "clever" little reviews panning it. Wow. I seem to be in the minority here - but then again, episodic TV and cable channel releases make me want to SLIT MY WRISTS with their flat lighting, one dimensional stories and flimsy, robotic, predictably beautiful characters.

Maybe the movie struck a chord in me because I enjoy watching great acting and interesting, off beat stories that don't follow the typical, obvious Hollywood model.

There are no car chase scenes here . . . oh my. Maybe that's why some people didn't like it. There is little nudity. No love story. No couples cheating on one another behind each others backs. And there are no superheros, gangsters, guns, vampires, talent shows or even one single dance competition in the entire script!

Well . . . one can easily see that this originally written and expertly executed flick is not for the average movie goer . . .

; )

Peace
March 22, 2014
When I first saw the trailer a couple of years ago, I thought it could be really interesting, cause it really didnīt give away what it was about. I just finally saw it, and it turns bad, and boring really quickly. In the end it just leaves you depressed and with a bad taste in your mouth.
February 22, 2014
I don't know why, but I kinda liked this movie.
March 28, 2012
a nice fuck you to Hollywood assholes who think shooting remakes is what cinema has come to
Will Mancini
January 1, 2014
Well made and acted, but I'd say that the subject matter is, throughout the film, either extremely heavy or mishandled.
GeorgiaMoxie
September 30, 2013
Where do I start? Mid life crisis movie with miserable men who party and wallow in their despair. Everything is too excessive- it's overacted and seems like it's trying to force the audience to feel what....sorry for them? Shed a tear? No idea. It's supposed to really surprise you with twists but the movie foreshadows it from the very beginning so it's not a surprise at all. The sound editing is really bad too- I had to turn it up when there was dialogue and down when the music plays (good music, but still that meant I had to fiddle with the remote like every 10 minutes) Just watch Very Bad Things instead.
September 24, 2013
i really liked this film. I dont know why people need to be so bitter and callous around reviwing it. In fact this film really brings to the light how it feels to be in your forties and also how it feels to be male. There are so many womens films that delve into feminism and i think this film rally a good job delving into masculinity. It is equally haunting and has hung over me after watching it yesterday. Say NO to drugs.
November 22, 2012
Loved the beginning, hated the ending. Will leave you feeling disappointed. The movie has potential and entertains it just was butchered after the first half.
February 3, 2013
While consisting of characters you will never like (and should never like), "I Melt With You" is an interesting, gritty, and sometimes experimental look on a mid-life crisis-fueled downward spiral with a fitting soundtrack to piece it all together.
Jillian B.
April 8, 2013
I have to say I was not planning on watching this. I came across it completely by accident. The title made me want to immediately change the channel, but the story pulled me in. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it, even with the depressing and tragic events that take place within it. I must say, pretty damn good.