20% The Identical Sep 05

I, Robot Reviews

garyX
garyX

November 28, 2006
When a prominent robotic scientist seemingly commits suicide, robot-hating detective Will Smith suspects that one of his creations is the true culprit. Well, it's a Hollywood blockbuster, so you will have to tolerate Will Smith doing his usual pec flexing, wisecracking schtick, Bridget Moynahan trying too hard to breathe life into her under-written eye candy role, and some frankly shameless product placement. However this is definitely an above par example because the script actually does not do the original Asimov stories a disservice and captures their spirit quite well; the character of Sonny played by Alan Tudyk is probably the most likeable and arguably best acted in the film and there are some pretty (if not entirely convincing) SFX. It is marred by some unnecessary visual bullshit during some cumbersome action set pieces and green screen is overly pervasive, but Smith has made a career out of being impossible to dislike and the twist to the story is actually quite clever. Although totally lacking in subtlety in the way most Hollywood blockbusters do, I, Robot definitely has its moments and I always enjoy watching a revolution. Despite its flaws, I liked it.
Phil H

March 30, 2012
So Hollywood took a classic collection of sci-fi literature and turned it into an action packed bullet time fest for Will Smith, hmmmmm. I think this film had some incredible promise being based on Asimov's short stories and could of been a classic sci-fi offering in the realms of '2001' or 'Blade Runner' but unfortunately Hollywood decided to stick Smith in the fold as the main character just to get bums on seats in the cinemas.

The casting of Smith was really a huge let down for me, a terrible and obvious piece of soulless money spinning simply to make this film into something that would appeal to the younger mass audience. Within the first five minutes of the opening sequence you can see how bad this decision was, we see Smith acting overly masculine as he swaggers about like the film revolves solely around him, his silly looking bobble hat thing which is tipped to the side trying to be cool and trendy, ear studs and a ridiculous outfit combination of black leather pants and a quarter length black leather coat. I mean really, is this a film based on some classic science fiction short stories or just trying to make Will Smith look as slick as possible with a gun, shades and motorbike. Must also point out this film has a small role for the annoying Shia LaBeouf -_-

The film does have some very good aspects in terms of effects that can't be denied, sure we have seen it all before and there isn't anything really outstanding on offer in the sense of 'things looking flashy and futuristic' but it all looks very clean smooth and realistic. The addition of the super sleek Audi concept car looked very nice I must admit but did we really need such a blatant advert in the film? the sequences just looked like car adverts, Audi paid for it yes, fine, but was it needed?
I did also like the robot designs, the older 'protector' robots looked a bit like something from the 'Star Wars' prequels but the newer 'NS-5' robots were well crafted and do have a realistic believeable look to them.

The problems I see with this film, it attempts to compete with classic 'epic' sci-fi films, it tries to be bold and boast a strong plot by constantly referring to the Asimov laws of robotics and using character names from the books as if this will make the film better, serious and closer to the much superior source material. Most of the nine stories by Asimov weren't really action based but simply more about robotic behaviour and mainly how the laws are used to solve problems, simply errors or malfunctions that the robots encounter in their daily routines. This film doesn't follow any of the nine stories I might add, its actually based on another separate story with Asimov's 'I, Robot' notions slapped on top after the rights to the stories were acquired.

The only aspect which connects to one of Asimov's stories ('Robbie') is the way Smiths character dislikes robots, the way they replace human jobs and seem to be taking over the world. Smith of course being a black man also gives the chance to turn the tables on the prejudice hot potato with his character basically being completely against robots and their 'kind', he sees them as trouble, not to be trusted, he wants the robots to be trouble so maybe people will all turn against them. A basic angle yes but reasonably intriguing, a more suitable actor like Washington would have been the better choice to carry this across in my opinion.

This film is big, flashy with destruction, car chases, bionic arms, guns, over the top fights, an overly stupid ending which does spoil plus allot of over used slow-mo action, much focusing on the robots which looks nice but what's the point of bullet time sequences on fully cgi characters?. Whether or not Asimov would have liked this kind of approach I don't know but I'm sure a slightly more subdued slow intelligent piece of work was more in mind.
You do have classic spy novels that have been made into films/TV drama's that aren't filled with all this needless in your face action, at the end of the day this is yet again just another glossy Hollywood action/thriller film which has been thinly veiled with an attempt of serious sci-fi. Yes its a reasonable sci-fi film and better than most other offerings but if you want a film more closely based on an Asimov story then I suggest you watch 'Bicentennial Man'.
Albert K

September 8, 2011
What bothered me about "I, Robot" was how pretentious it was to have Will Smith as the main character. The humor didn't flow smoothly but the action set-pieces is entertaining. Will Smith is great like always but "I, Robot" is one forgettable movie.
Daniel P

December 26, 2007
Two stars, because I feel asleep; one if I had stayed awake.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
Asimov's game changing speculation on "the next big thing" is prostituted into a Hollywood moneymaker: flashy, toothy, and vacuous. Two minutes into the film and its likable hunk is trying on a pair of name sneakers. Shame is so passe. Luckily the original works will outlive this mindless debauch.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 2, 2011
Although I, Robot is only a loose adaption of the amazing and gripping short stories it manages to make the audience think and is actually smarter than you'd expect a summer blockbuster to be. It isn't either amazing or gripping but it's a bit more complex than your average time waster.
Eric A

September 30, 2011
Don't really know how I feel about this movie. I'm completely in the middle, it was cool but then it's also blahhh. Whatever.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 26, 2011
I, Robot is a good movie, not great, but it is a fun movie and is one of those films we want to see at the theatre.
Kase V

April 20, 2011
A vicious look into a future no one wants. It's a great cinematic adventure but it is pretty flawed. A great job of making those robots so damn creepy, though. It really heightened the intensity of it all.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 13, 2009
Pretty good futuristic movie, I like the twist and turns it takes which takes you off guard and the story even though was remake kept itself great enough to pull off a win.

It's the year 2035, and the community now has the help of robots. These robots have three laws integrated into their system. One, they cannot harm a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. Two, they must do whatever they're told by a human being as long as such orders don't conflict with law one. Three, they have to defend themselves as long as such defense doesn't conflict with laws one or two. One day, the writer of the three laws, Alfred Lanning, apparently jumps out of the tenth-floor window of U.S. Robotics. The majority of the Chicago Police Department believe that he committed suicide, but Detective Del Spooner, who hates robots, thinks he was murdered, and the number one suspect is a Nestor Class-5 robot who calls himself Sonny. However, if it was Sonny, then that means he would've had to have broken the three laws. With the help of Dr. Susan Calvin, Spooner must now discover the truth before it's too late.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 12, 2010
An awesome Sci Fi Thriller set in the future. Will Smith gives a great performance as cop Del Spooner. A well written story about a potential crime comitted by a semingly harmless robot. This film is a thrill a minute flick that keeps you on the edge of your seat. This is a fine Sci Fi Thriller film and everyone involved delivers great performances. A fun popcorn flick to watch on a friday night with a cold beer. I Robot will satisfy any fan of the Sci Fi genre. A very interesting take on the genre too. Alex Proyas who also helmed The Crow directs this Sci Fi actioner with an emphasis on telling a different kind of Sci Fi story. Proyas crafts a film that focuses on a concept that puts a machine at the center of a murder investigation. The ideas in I Robot are interesting and very entertaining. Despite the fact that the film is seen as somewhat as product placement, Proyas manages to bal.ances everything out with loads of action and suspense, which in turn helps you kind of forget that such advertising exists within the film. The action is well thought out, and is quite impressive. Equally impressive are the special effects used in the film. The result is a near flawless film with only a few minor changes (such as less ad placements) But for what it's worth, I Robot has an awesome concept for a film that will appeal to anyone who enjoys a good Sci Fi yarn. This is not your typical Sci Fi film, it's quite different and with that in mind, it should be enough to seek this one out.
Nadira I

January 12, 2011
I, robot was good, but not great. Will Smith, as always, did a fine performance. The story is also unpredictable. A kind of sci-fi movie that keep us wondering at the end of the film. What if it happens in the world we live in today? An action with extraordinary visual effects that creates an enjoyable film to watch with friends.
michael e.
michael e.

November 27, 2010
a pretty interesting mystery action story
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

July 12, 2010
A 58% rotten? You critics are out of your mind!!!

I, Robot is fun, high-tech, and trilling everytime I watch it.

I saw this movie at the theather in The Orleans in Vegas and I was blown out of my mind.

The visuals are good and the action is full-throttle.

Will Smith is one of my favorite actors and this is one of the best he's done.

See it.
Richard C

June 24, 2010
B+
3niR
3niR

May 22, 2010
This was awesome. Really recommend this to watch. Not a waste of time. No chance of getting bored I tell you.
Two fave dialogue -
Will Smith - "You're cat I'm black" (Seriously this made me laugh)
"There's no way my luck is that bad"
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
ermmm i love this movie!!
its a very clever written and enjoyable futuristic movie!!
its exciting and action packed with a great cast!!
i absolutely love this movie, really worth the watch!!
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 12, 2007
Product placement galore! This movie sure doesn't leave it a mystery who its financers are. It feels like there's an add hidden in every scene, which does make it hard to take it seriously. And for a plot about robots, the ones in this one aren't particularily cool-looking. Granted that they've gone for simplicity and the "crash dummies" look, but I can't ignore the fact that they're a bit on the ugly side. Anyway, now that I have the negative elements out of the way, I'd like to move on the good ones. Because thankfully they are in higher numbers. First off, there's Will Smith, who you can always count on for some solid acting. Secondly, the story is very interesting. I haven't read any of Asimov's books, but after having seen this movie, I may definitely pick one up sometime. Nice action and special effects as well. Therefore, I think it does deserve an above-average rating. Don't expect to get your intellect stimulated though, because it's really nothing more than your typical popcorn flick. A good one at that, but probably very shallow compared to the source material. As is usually the case with novel-to-screen adaptations.
Conner R

January 18, 2010
Honestly, it wasn't a great movie but it definitely had a lot to like. The visual style of the film was great and one of the main reasons it works. The other aspect that works is the story. It could've been better, but at the heart of it you could see there was something great. If only the casting would have been better and the dialogue cleaned up.
KJ P

January 14, 2010
Awesome! Great visuals and thrills! I was completely satisfied with the outcome of this movie!