I, Zombie

I, Zombie Reviews

iLeo
iLeo

April 17, 2007
This film was mind-boggling but nonetheless interesting in set of watching a man's transformation. Very cool!
April 25, 2009
I, Zombie makes an early stab at a theme that would be quite popular in the most recent slate of zombie films. It's most clear descendants are movies like American Zombie, Zombie Honeymoon, and Zombies Anonymous. All three films follow I, Zombie's lead in thinking about what it would be like to be a conscious zombie. In some ways, this film explores that issue more intimately than do the later films.

The film follows Brian, a graduate student who gets bitten by a zombie and finds himself turned into one. He has an uncontrollable hunger for people and is slowly rotting as he hides away from the world. It's a grim tale of desperation and sorrow, with lots of lingering shots focused on Brian's painful life hiding in his flat. A few other thoughts:

* While the film contemplates the question of what it would be like to become a zombie quite well, it veers quite far from the recipe necessary for an enjoyable zombie film. There's not much tension as Brian never seems in any sort of danger. A persistant detective (ala Zombie Honeymoon) would have made the story a bit more exciting.
* The gloomy desperation and haunted narrative reminds me a lot of An American Werewolf in London, which also considers the spiritual tragedy of becoming a monster.
* This movie has one of the more horrifying consequences of rotting I've seen in a zombie film, made much worse by the emotional depth of the scene in which it occurs.
* There's not a whole lot of action or excitement in the film. Instead, its matter-of-fact cinematography and shallow narrative arc short circuit most of the horror-pleasure that one finds in these films. In so doing, I could see it being pretty unsatisfying for people looking for more conventional fare. That said, I think it makes a fine companion to those other films I mentioned above.
* The makeup effects and dream sequences are impressive and solid.

Overall, it's worth seeing, but more recent films do the same work in a more entertaining way.
QuimLiquor
October 16, 2009
While a good idea in concept, this movie just about fails on every level. You'd think a simple story about the transformation into zombiehood would yield better results. This, for some reason, is more of an art film with way too many scenes of the zombie staring off into the distance while piano music played. Oh well, at least I got the chance to see that zombie's do masturbate..
jam233
August 1, 2009
Interesting contemporary zombie story, rather brutally graphic, but it is an unusual twist on the often told subject. Very good score, nicely acted and directed. Good pace.
January 25, 2007
I hated this movie... Really bad... As soon as he tried jerkin off his zombie penis and it fell off.. I lost it... Bad pacing.. just plain hated it...
clockworkheart
July 6, 2006
I loved this independent master piece. Tired of the same old cliched Zombie genre? I ceirtainly was until I saw this. This is a breath of fresh air to Zombie flicks. It's low budget but that helps creating the atmosphere for this depressing drama about how a man slowly rots apart. Watch out for the masturbation/amputation scene. It's funny to watch it with friends, but cringing and really sad to see it by yourself.
livingdeadboy
May 28, 2006
Wow. What a load of crap this movie turned out to be. I bought this movie at a pawn shop on VHS for 4 dollars, I looked at the box and saw a cool looking zombie, so I thought to myself 'hmm, I love just about anything pertaining to zombies, this looks pretty awesome.' Sweet Jesus was I wrong. This is one of the most boring, dull movies I've ever watched. The story follows a man after he is attacked by a zombie in the woods (no explanation is given as to why the dead are living), and infected with the disease. It shows what its like slowly becoming one of these ghouls. Who knew turning into a flesh eating monster could be so incredibly boring to watch?...There is very little killing in this movie..I wouldnt even call it a horror film, it almost feels like some kind of crappy low budget documentary or something, filmed with a home video camera. Most of the movie just consists of the main character bitching about his skin falling off, becoming an alchohlic because of this and describing what is happening to him through first person narration. This movie has a good concept, just terrible execution. I only payed 4 bucks for this, and I felt jipped. Some people may enjoy this. I didn't. Its just a big waste of time for me. I'll just stick with Night of the living Dead to get my zombie fix, thank you very much.
jazza923