Box Office Guru Wrapup: Fourth Ice Age Pic Opens On Top

In the calm before the Batstorm, just one new release dared to enter the marketplace. Fox's 3D animated sequel Ice Age: Continental Drift topped the North American box office in its domestic debut leading a weekend session that fell below year-ago levels. Most holdovers enjoyed relatively low declines with just one title in the top ten falling by more than half. Studios mostly avoided opening anything big in fear of getting pulverized a week later by The Dark Knight Rises.

Playing to a young audience that PG-13 comic book pics don't cater to, Ice Age: Continental Drift opened at number one with an estimated $46M from 3,881 locations for a $11,853 average. It was the fourth chapter of the lucrative series, and second in 3D. The debut did not reach the levels of recent 3D summer toons Brave and Madagascar 3 which bowed to $66.6M and $60.3M, respectively. As the third big-brand offering in this genre over the last six weeks, some families may have felt they did not need to reach into the wallet again so soon for another pricey group outing to the multiplex. Reviews were not too positive but audiences were pleased giving the PG-rated film an A- grade. The demographic breakdown was basically even between males and females, and those over and under 25, indicating a broad audience.

Drift opened just like the first installment of the series. The original Ice Age premiered to $46.3M in March 2002 on its way to $176.4M. But ticket prices were a lot lower then and there were no 3D surcharges so admissions on the new installment were much less. However, the prehistoric comedy franchise makes the bulk of its money overseas nowadays and Fox's international launch two weeks ago got business going early. This weekend, Drift topped the offshore box office with a mammoth $95M propelling the international total to a stellar $339M and the global gross to $385M. Overseas cash for the first three films skyrocketed with the titles going from $207M to $461M to $691M. The entire Ice Age franchise has now raised its worldwide haul to an amazing $2.3 billion and the newest chapter should easily surpass $750M globally at its current trajectory.

Sony took second place with its super hero reboot The Amazing Spider-Man which posted a strong hold in its second weekend taking in an estimated $35M for a 44% decline allowing the 13-day total to top the double century mark with $200.9M. Compared to other tentpoles opening midweek near the Fourth of July holiday, the webslinger fared well beating the 48% drop of 2007's Transformers, the 49% of 2008's Hancock, the 51% of 2010's The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, and the 52% of last summer's Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Of course, none of them faced a humongous juggernaut like The Dark Knight Rises in its third frame so chances are Amazing will get flattened from this Thursday night onwards. Still, a domestic final of around $280M could result.

As with so many action franchises and 3D event films, The Amazing Spider-Man is seeing robust results around the world. It ranked second at the overseas box office with $66.6M pushing the offshore tally to $320.4M and global gross to $521.3M on its way to more than $800M. This weekend, the four-installment Spider-Man franchise broke the $3 billion mark in global box office.

Leading the way among non-franchise films was the runaway hit comedy Ted which posted another terrific hold grossing an estimated $22.1M for a slender 31% decline. The R-rated hit smashed the $150M mark in just 16 days and has banked an incredible $159M to date. The $50M production is benefitting from strong word-of-mouth, low competition from raunchy comedies, and the starpower of Seth MacFarlane. If you're a grown-up and want to laugh, there have hardly been any other good options this summer. A final gross of around $215M seems likely putting it ahead of such higher profile and more expensive summer offerings like Men in Black 3, Prometheus, and Snow White and the Huntsman. Early in its international run, Ted is doing gangbusters in Australia with $25.5M after its second weekend at number one, plus a slim sophomore slide.

With a new 3D toon in town, Pixar's Brave dropped 46% to an estimated $10.7M putting the 24-day sum at $195.6M. The Scottish princess continues to play like the animation studio's 2008 flick WALL?E which dropped 46% to $10.1M in its fourth frame in July 2008 when it faced the opening of The Dark Knight. Brave looks capable of reaching more than $230M domestically.

Male beefcake landed in fifth place as Channing Tatum and pals collected an estimated $9M with their stripper flick Magic Mike, off 42%, giving Warner Bros. $91.9M to date. The R-rated hit will cross the $100M mark in another week. Oliver Stone's latest film Savages enjoyed a decent sophomore hold dropping 45% to an estimated $8.7M for a ten-day total of $31.5M. The $45M production is playing to an older more patient audience and had zero competition from newcomers so Universal's decline was not exactly fabulous.

Lionsgate followed with Madea's Witness Protection which took in an estimated $5.6M, down 45%, for a $55.6M cume. Falling 48% in its second weekend was the music doc Katy Perry: Part of Me with an estimated $3.7M for a total of just $18.6M in 11 days.

Enjoying the best hold by far in the top ten was Wes Anderson's Moonrise Kingdom which continued to please the smarthouse crowd with an estimated $3.7M slipping a mere 19% in its eighth round. Focus has grossed an impressive $32.4M to date on its way to $45M+. Suffering the worst drop in the top ten was the 3D toon sequel Madagascar 3 which fell an understandable 54% to an estimated $3.5M as it took a severe hit from Scrat. But the Paramount release broke the double century mark and has now banked $203.7M domestically and $473.8M worldwide.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $148.1M which was down a steep 40% from last year when Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 opened at number one with an industry record $169.2M; and down 13% from 2010 when Inception debuted on top with $62.8M.

Follow Gitesh on Twitter.

Comments

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

So, I guess it's Dark Knight Rises predictions time? Well, I'm probably going to do poorly in this game, but I'll give it a crack anyway. Early on I thought the lack of an iconic villian would hurt it, but I think everyone is convinced of Bane's awesomeness by now. It also has final movie mojo going for it,and Nolan is definetly a name that's almost at Spielberg or Pixar level in terms of the audience good-will it emedietly gets. On the other hand, it won't have the 3-D prices or the little kid fan base the Avengers had. I have a rule againts ever predicting a movie will break the OW record(HP last year was an exeption)so I'm going to say 190 Million OW, 590 Million Domestically by the time it finishes.

Jul 15 - 08:55 PM

King  S.

King Simba

TDKR is currently tracking just a tad below The Avengers (slighty higher with males, but slightly lower with females). However, one has to take into acount that Avengers had 3d ticket prices to boost it's sales. That's why I'm going with a 180 mil OW, which is still a very impressive tally. And given how overwhelmingly positive early word of mouth has been, I think it could hold on well despite the hype for a 550-600 mil final total.

Jul 15 - 10:07 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

i am certainly not convinced about Bane's awesomeness. I always hated Catwoman. I like Batman more than any other super hero and i am not that pumped for this movie. I'll see it, but i will understand if casual fans are more hesitant than expected.

Jul 16 - 05:04 AM

Billy B.

Billy Barnett

Well you are wrong cause I know I am pumped for this movie, I will go see it on my Birthday,thats how much I love Batman. I don't really know any casual fan that isn't excited to see this.

Jul 16 - 05:27 AM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

MisterVile, I don't want to say your opinion is wrong, but what exactly are the worries you have about Bane?

Jul 16 - 08:08 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Bane by himself is not the most interesting character selection. I expected to see a more "life like" villain such as Hush, Prometheus, or Zsasz.

oh and Billy B is hilarious because he thinks he speaks for everyone.

Jul 16 - 10:50 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I'm going lower with 160 mil opening for Batman. I just think a lot of the fans have gotten older and won't necessarily want to get trampled by the crowds. Finish around 550 mil domenstic and just shy of a billion all told.

Jul 15 - 09:28 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I don't think crowds would be an issue for fans. I do think your estimate for Opening weekend is more realistic than General Wiz's. I actually think TDKR only has a 50% chance of beating the record of the previous Batman film, let alone come close to Avengers. The Dark Knight had massive hype surrounding Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. No such thing exists for Tom Hardy as Bane, who at least from the trailers seems to be more generic of a villian than Ledger's Joker was. I hope I'm proven wrong when I see the entire movie for myself next weekend.

The OW will be around $130 on the low end. At most I could see it getting $170 for the OW. The lack of 3D and the extra profits they bring are really going to limit the earning potential for The Dark Knight Rises. Unless its selling out matinee as well as the typical evening and night shows in all the population centers in the USA and Canada, which I doubt.

Jul 15 - 09:56 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

oh and that million for the $130 and $170. Silly typo.

Jul 15 - 09:57 PM

King  S.

King Simba

It's true that TDKR lacks a well known villain, but it's also being hyped as the conclusion to the trilogy, and as Deathly Hallows Part 2, Return of the King, Revenge of the Sith proved, being a finale really boosts the hype. Also, sequels tend to ride on the reception of their predeccesor. People may have shown up to see TDK just because Ledger died (though that didn't help that Terry Gilliam he starred in), but the film also showed really impressive holds and was a massive seller on DVD, proving that audiences loved what they saw. Also, since TDK Nolan has become one of the few directors who can draw a big crowd on his name alone, as he managed to get an 800 mil worldwide tally out of Inception, a film which many were worried would flop.

Finally, Batman has always been a record breaker having broken the opening weekend record four times, twice more than any other franchise and two of those times were with films that didn't even have the Joker (Batman Returns and Batman Forever). The only two Batman films that didn't break the OW record were either so terrible audiences were turned of by the mere trailer (Batman and Robin) or had to wipe the sour taste of the terrible film that came before them (Batman Begins). Granted, Avengers was so big that I don't think TDKR will break it's record. I'm just saying it had more than enough to make up for the lack of the Joker.

Jul 15 - 10:30 PM

Michael Conder

Michael Conder

I'd say Catwoman is a pretty iconic villain. Granted, she does straddle the line between hero/villain.

Jul 15 - 11:16 PM

King Crunk

The Dark Knight was all about The Joker even before Ledger passed away. The Dark Knight Rises seems to be going back to what Nolan did with Batman Begins, which is make Batman/Bruce Wayne the central focus of the film. The Dark Knight was really an ensemble piece with tons of subplots interconnecting to make an overall arch. The marketing has actually been downplaying Bane overall, which I am hoping is because Nolan is really trying to avoid giving much of the movie away. He did the same thing with Inception and has said in interviews he hates revealing too much before a film's release, so I am not too worried about the lack of information reguarding the movie at this point. Nolan has just gotten into the power position where he can firmly tell the studio heads how much or how little of his movie he wants to show in trailers and what not. I do not see The Dark Knight Rises beating The Avengers opening weekend, but I think it will beat The Dark Knight's. As you said, many people went to The Dark Knight just because of Ledger's death and the hype around his performance, but they left the movie a fan of the franchise as a whole. I would estimate it does around $170 million opening weekend. It will have a lot more admissions than The Avengers overall, which had the 3D surcharges to boost grosses significantly, but will most likely make less money both opening weekend and in the long run.

Jul 15 - 11:45 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Nailed it!!!

Jul 23 - 07:26 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Ice Age 4 won the weekend, which was expected. I thought it would have opened to similar numbers as Madigascar 3 and Brave, but Ice Age 4 is worst reviewed film and I guess families are getting a little burned paying so much money for all of these 3D CGI films.

Ted is looking like it will be the surprise hit of the summer, having exceptional holds. It will be interesting to see how The Watch does when it comes out the last weekend of July, as that movie appeals to the same adult male audience Ted does.

Amazing Spiderman had a good hold, but it has the misfortune of being overshadowed by a bigger superhero films both before and after it came out.

A pretty decent week overall I would say.

Jul 15 - 09:46 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

The Watch looks horrible.

Jul 16 - 06:24 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I agree, it looks rather stupid. However it appeals to the same audience as Ted so there is a chance that Ted will get its first 50%+ drop when that movie comes out as 25+ men look for a new raunchy comedy to see.

Jul 16 - 01:30 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

People will watch anything. Ice age hasn't been good since the first one, and I don't recall that one being exceptional either.

Jul 15 - 09:51 PM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

The first one decent at best

Jul 16 - 05:12 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Jul 15 - 09:56 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

oh and that million for the $130 and $170. Silly typo.

Jul 15 - 09:57 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 15 - 10:30 PM

Michael Conder

Michael Conder

Jul 15 - 11:16 PM

Jul 15 - 11:45 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

oh and that million for the $130 and $170. Silly typo.

Jul 15 - 09:57 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 15 - 10:07 PM

JohLohB

JohLoh B

Ice Age movies aren't great, but they're still little fun family flicks to kill some time. The franchise prolly has 1 more film left in it after this one.

And I'm glad to see that The Amazing Spider-Man has been a huge success. I'm pretty sure nobody was expecting it to surpass Raimi's Spider-Man, which was a good film, plus it owned the superhero movie lane at the time. Nowadays, Iron Man is just as big as Spider-Man. Also, there was obviously gonna be some people that didn't like the reboot idea.

Iron Man - $585m
The Amazing Spider-Man - $521m
Thor - $449m
Batman Begins - $372m
Captain America - $368m
X-Men: First Class - $353m

So yeah, Spidey is still doing big numbers. It'll prolly end it's run around $600m worldwide.

Jul 15 - 10:08 PM

Ganesh Kumar

Ganesh Kumar

Spider-Man ( 2002) scores $821,708,551 without 3D

Jul 15 - 11:18 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Sorry to break it to you bud but The Amazing Spider Man is a bomb when compared to Raimi's trilogy. Also remember that none of those films had 3D and they also had much lower ticket prices.

Jul 16 - 05:01 AM

JohLohB

JohLoh B

"Sorry to break it to you"? I said in the post above "nobody expected TASM to do Raimi's Spider-Man numbers".

Second, if $600 million worldwide is a bomb, I hope my films bomb some day. Like Lance R said, TASM had to follow that disastrous piece of garbage that was Spider-Man 3. Not only that, but Raimi's Spider-Man was beloved among cinema fans. Of course some people weren't going to be happy or down to see a reboot. Also, like I already said, Spider-Man had no competition superhero movie wise. TASM has been squished between The Avengers (which has been hyped for years, and had the giant action spectacle appeal in the trailers), and TDKR (which has the finale of the trilogy push, not to mention it's following TDK, a masterpiece). Either way, it's doing numbers.

TASM has made damn near double what Batman Begins made (yes, I know about the 3D sales. But either way, it's made $520m), and look how profitable Nolan's Batman trilogy has been.

Jul 16 - 05:39 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Reboots always have it rough. A sequel will be a better indicator of how the franchise is doing with these new actors.

Jul 16 - 05:07 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

I think the major issue is that this is a recent reboot of a successful franchise. Reboots in which the first film of the first franchise was only 10 years ago only comes if the first franchise was a bomb and the reboot is an attempt to revitalize it. Otherwise, its generally 10 years after the LAST film of the previous franchise and 15 or more years from the first film that reboot will come. I just think that a lot of people thought it was too soon for a reboot and didn't come to it in the numbers that Sam Rami's Spiderman films have done. Heck I wasn't planning on seeing it originally but I didn't see Brave after the RT reviews after planning on seeing it, so I had money to go see The Amazing Spiderman with friends.

I agree the sequel will be important in determining if this reboot will be just as well received as the original Spiderman movies.

Jul 16 - 01:39 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Good debut for Ice Age 4. I wasn't expecting it to live up to the performance of the last Ice Age film, given the lack of dinosaurs and that franchises tend to wear out by their fourth films. Plus it's making a killing overseas, so the franchsie may not be over yet.

Glad to see Amazing Spiderman holding on so well. I would love to see it get to 300 mil, but with The Dark Knight Rises hitting theaters next weekend that's most likely out of reach. This really does feel like the calm before the storm.

Jul 15 - 10:15 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Jul 15 - 10:30 PM

Michael Conder

Michael Conder

Jul 15 - 11:16 PM

Jul 15 - 11:45 PM

King Crunk

No suprises this weekend. Let's bring on the movie everybody has been waiting all summer to see, so that Hollywood can start throwing the end of summer turkeys at us, before awards season rolls around and there are too many good movies getting released at once. Speaking of the fall film season, has there been any word on whether Refn's Only God Forgives will be released this year or be pushed to next? RT has listed as a 2012 release, but I cannot find anything more specific than that.

Jul 15 - 10:39 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

No definite date yet for "Only God Forgives", but I'd guess sometime in the spring next year. Gosling has "Gangster Squad" in September, and will probably squeeze out director Derek Cianfrance's (Blue Valentine) new film "Place Beyond the Pines" by year's end.

Jul 16 - 04:49 AM

King Crunk

Thanks, I was thinking Refn might be holding it off to take to Cannes next year like he did with Drive.

Jul 16 - 10:53 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I guess this new Ice Age won't be a mega-hit like the last film. But do you know what movie is gonna be a mega-hit? THE DARK KNIGHT RISES!!! This weekend is gonna be epic. I think this will be the biggest opening for an IMAX release. I hope this inspires more filmmakers to shoot movies in IMAX. I'm growing tired of 3D. I hope Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek 2, and Catching Fire, (all of which are being shot with IMAX) pave the way for more 70mm IMAX theatres to be built. I'm sick of all these unimpressive Digital IMAX theatres. Anyways, The Dark Knight Rises will be the movie event of the year for me. I can't wait to see that Man of Steel teaser as well. Let's do this!

Jul 15 - 10:49 PM

Michael Conder

Michael Conder

Jul 15 - 11:16 PM

Ganesh Kumar

Ganesh Kumar

Spider-Man ( 2002) scores $821,708,551 without 3D

Jul 15 - 11:18 PM

Jul 15 - 11:45 PM

Marcus Ciubal

Marcus Ciubal

TDKR: $185 million for OW and $575 million for domestic. Global will be $1.15 billion!

Jul 16 - 01:53 AM

This comment has been removed.

Marcus Ciubal

Marcus Ciubal

The marketing of TDKR is larger than that of TDK,they released TV Spots in Asian languages. I guess its' Int'l BO will reach the same or even higher. Add the fact that they'll also release it in China and some countries like here in the Philippines will roll the reel in IMAX for 24 hours-4 days.

Jul 16 - 07:55 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I think The Dark Knight Rises should easily outgross TDK internationally. International markets have been really expanding in the past few years, plus it is the third film in the trilogy, which is when films tend to explode on the international scale (Spiderman 3 was the lowest grossing Spidey film domestically but it was easily the biggest worldwide, TF3 made 50 mil less than TF2 yet doubled its international total, even At World's End managed to outgross Dead Man's Chest internationally despite make 130 mil less domestically)

Jul 16 - 09:42 PM

Marcus Ciubal

Marcus Ciubal

I hope that will happen, if it will hit $575 million domestically, could it gross $650-750million. $1.25 billion would do!

Jul 17 - 04:11 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday