Critics Consensus: Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D Is Lukewarm

Summary

While the eyes of movie nerds will be on San Diego Comic Con this week, we've got one new offering in multiplexes: the animated "Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D," featuring voice work from Ray Romano, Denis Leary, and John Leguizamo. Find out what the critics have to say on Rotten Tomatoes. With the exception of its first installment, the Ice Age franchise has never been a critical darling. That trend that continues with Ice Age: Continental Drift 3D, which critics say has moments of charm and witty slapstick but often seems content to recycle ideas from the series? previous films. Back to Article

Comments

flid

Bob Phil

next week

Jul 12 - 04:59 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

It seems all studios are afraid to release films next to the hugely anticipated blockbuster 30 Beats, the biggest film event of the year ;)

Jul 12 - 06:01 PM

Billy B.

Billy Barnett

30 Beats? Haven't heard about that film.

Jul 14 - 07:06 AM

dudemeister

dude meister

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm.

Jul 14 - 04:21 PM

Michael Turnbill

Michael Turnbill

I wish I could find The Impostor or Easy Money in my area, but at least I got The Dark Knight Rises in IMAX next week. CANT WAIT!

Jul 12 - 07:05 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

*in creepy voice* Seven days...

Jul 12 - 07:22 PM

Joanne Hayes

Joanne Hayes

this movie is stuid

Jul 12 - 07:27 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

I'm guessing you mean "stupid", and it would also be nice to know which movie you are actually talking about.

Jul 13 - 12:28 AM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

CANNOT WAIT FOR THE DARK KNIGHT RISES!!!

Jul 12 - 09:02 PM

King Crunk

Nothing this week for me except The Imposter, which I'll rent in a few months. Bring on Batman so we can start looking forward to the drama season.

Jul 12 - 09:35 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Come on Crunk, surely you can be more enthusiastic than that.

Jul 12 - 10:24 PM

King Crunk

I am enthusiastic for Batman, but I honestly have not been looking forward to any of the other films released this summer except Prometheus. Hopefully there will be a totally out of left field masterpiece released after Batman, but it is unlikely. Batman is pretty much the movie everybody has been wanting all summer, and it comes at the end of July which is usually when most of the quality blockbusters stop coming out and the studios start pushing the leftovers they know are not all that in August. The wait for Batman has actually been exhausting because it has been the one movie I have looked forward to this season, so by this point I am just ready for it to get here and be over reguardless of whether it is great or not. Make no mistake, though, I am very excited to see how Nolan wraps his vision up.

Jul 13 - 07:31 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Same here, man. The only other release I MIGHT see in the theater is THE BOURNE LEGACY, but I have a feeling it's going to be a tired affair, despite being the first series entry directed by the primary screenwriter Tony Gilroy, and starring such awesome mofos as Jeremy Renner, Edward Norton & Joan Allen. Otherwise nothing!

Jul 13 - 07:56 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Ah I see Crunk, I have to apologize for accidentally flagging your comment. I'm in agreement that we're in for a weak few weeks, the year overall has been very week, I've only seen like 5-6 movies this year.

Jul 14 - 04:24 PM

No love for Batman.

Jul 13 - 10:25 AM

King Crunk

I am excited for Batman, but I am looking forward to the fall more since there will be a greater abundance of films actually worth seeing as opposed to this summer, which has been slim pickings (as most summers are). Probably should have been clearer in my post.

Jul 13 - 07:22 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Killing Them Softly", "Lawless", "The Master", "Looper", just to name a couple.

Jul 14 - 07:05 AM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Nice to see some restraint as far as Batman is concerned. Very nice, Crunk :)

Jul 13 - 11:20 AM

King Crunk

Showing restraint because I do not want to be let down if it sucks, and because over the last few years I have started to enjoy the summer movie season less and less. There are quality blockbusters that get released every year, don't get me wrong, but the summer is pretty barren as a whole when it comes to cinema.

Jul 13 - 07:38 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"The Hobbit", "Skyfall", "Django Unchained" for a couple more.

Jul 14 - 07:10 AM

Sean James

Sean James

yes crunk! a fellow batman hater

Jul 13 - 03:08 PM

King Crunk

Sorry, man, not a hater, just keeping my expectations in check and am ready for all the blockbuster madness to die down.

Jul 13 - 07:33 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

BATMAN AND COMPANY ARE GONNA PWN ICE AGE NEXT WEEK! HELL YEAH! THE FIRE RISES!

Jul 12 - 09:44 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

I find stupidity in those who think an animated film would be in competition with a Chris Nolan movie -_- Ice Age4 may not be a highlight in many fields, but is definitely in my opinion as well as Finding Nemo 3D going to be the best of animated movies this year.

Jul 13 - 01:44 PM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

You've forgotten "Brave", which did fill its contract with ease (although not with a perfect holding, far from that). And you are forgetting "Paranorman", "Frankenweenie" and "Rise of the Guardians" as candidates for best animated movie of the season. Which means that Ice Age 4 might barely make the cut, and Finding Nemo 3D is just an exercise of cash-grab.

Jul 13 - 09:38 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Come on Crunk, surely you can be more enthusiastic than that.

Jul 12 - 10:24 PM

Jul 13 - 07:31 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Jul 13 - 07:56 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Jul 14 - 04:24 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Jul 13 - 12:28 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

All I care to see right now is The Dark Knight Rises. It's been too long. But next week it's CINEMATIC HEAVEN! The Wait Will Be Over!!!!

Jul 13 - 02:30 AM

tgibfo

Matt Ritchey

WOO HOO! All ready for July 20: "THE RUNWAY," baby!!!! Bring it on! Watch Demian Bichir kick some Columbian ass in Ireland! Who's with me!?

Who's with me!?

Who's......??

Hello?

Jul 13 - 03:33 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

*cricket chirps*

Jul 13 - 07:19 AM

This comment has been removed.

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Yeah? Well my roommates stepmother's sister's friend's cousin thinks you're stupid, and she makes $200/hr hooking on the street corner.

Jul 13 - 07:02 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

^^^^ This is the best right here.

Jul 13 - 07:24 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Man, this is a first- RT deleting only the top comment above leaving the replies alone! I only wish I can go back deleting my own comments again for a re-comment!

Jul 13 - 12:06 PM

Brista Montoya

Brista Montoya

I just want to see how much Batman makes next week.

Jul 13 - 05:16 AM

Joshua Henderson

I am curious to see if it can beat The Avengers.

Jul 13 - 10:29 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Please stop making terrible Kids movies. The Children don't know they suck!

Jul 13 - 06:19 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Really? I liked the first Ice Age.

Of course, I don't know if the quality of the films has declined as the series progressed.

Jul 13 - 07:04 AM

Joshua Henderson

The first Ice Age movie was awesome. The sequel's main problem is that they are the same old. I always get a few chuckles and thrills out of them though.

Jul 13 - 10:23 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Aye, the Ice Age franchise is among my favorite animated movies of all time. I personally think 1 and 2 are the best so far, especially Ice Age 1. Ice Age 4 looks like a big step up from the disappointment of the 3rd film. The characters look awesome and the music scoring for the film by John Powell is sensational.

Jul 13 - 01:48 PM

Dave J

Dave J

With the 'heat wave' happening throughout the United States and Canada, watching the new "Ice Age" movie might be a good idea too and for the possible air conditioning regardless how bad the rating is!

Jul 13 - 12:57 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

oh and when TDKR gets bad reviews i can't wait for the 500 comments telling the critic he is an idiot.

Jul 13 - 06:20 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Like they did with Spider Man. But wait, that movie did suck :)

Jul 13 - 06:57 AM

Joshua Henderson

You thought it sucked to begin with. So you're opinion don't count.

Jul 13 - 10:18 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

lol You are right. Say what you will about Armond White, he was right about one thing: If you go against movie that's popular on the internet, the fan boys will tear you apart mercilessly.
If anybody expects a movie to get 100% in nowadays, you are sorely mistaken.

Jul 13 - 07:23 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

You know Armond really likes the lashes though.

Jul 13 - 08:50 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

He really, REALLY does.

Jul 13 - 02:39 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I don't use any time reading "Armond White" reviews at all just because although they're some films we both liked, he likes them for totally different reasons I am incapable to understand. He sometimes don't immerse himself to it's central characters or view films in the same way as I do for instance- I mean if i were to watch any movie with him and tell him I see apples, Armond White would say he sees oranges. He almost reminds me of a "baby" since you don't know what it's crying about but it cries anyway for no apparent reason other than he can get some attention.

Jul 13 - 12:27 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

He really does. He goes for a very different approach. Although, his random comparisons to other movies, and contentious attitude leaves something to be desired.

Jul 13 - 02:41 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Very true- this is what he thrives on!

Jul 13 - 03:03 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Although, one sometimes wonder how "Armond White" was really like as a child since a great portion of peoples criticisms also has something to do with how people are being brought up!

Jul 13 - 03:07 PM

Joshua Henderson

I agree. It will be fun to watch the idiots call people idiots. Even I defended movies a few time but I didn't ever bash them...but people claimed that I did though just to bash my defending.

Jul 13 - 10:20 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Like they did with Spider Man. But wait, that movie did suck :)

Jul 13 - 06:57 AM

Joshua Henderson

You thought it sucked to begin with. So you're opinion don't count.

Jul 13 - 10:18 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships