Iceberg Slim: Portrait Of A Pimp Reviews

May 10, 2014
incredible documentary of a true icon in the streets.
October 29, 2013
Very interesting---Great subject and put together well
½ September 3, 2013
good doc on legendary pimp turned author robert iceberg slim beck.
September 2, 2013
Really, really good documentary.
July 28, 2013
Engaging and colorful, Iceberg Slim, the man, gets captured beautifully in this well-researched and entertaining documentary. A life (and a world) unknown to many, yet his impact is still felt today. Great interviews with Chris Rock, Quincy Jones and co-producer, Ice-T, are interspersed with family and friends, co-conspirators and bystanders. Plus, we get a taste of Slim's books amidst a backdrop of key historical events. On the surface, this may be seen simply as an African-American survival story, but I couldn't help feeling this went way beyond race. Rising from poverty, abuse, bad luck and heartbreak, Robert Beck (aka 'Iceberg Slim'), continually bounces back with a gleam in his eye. Beck's luck continues in the after-life: his books are more popular than ever, and he is blessed with filmmakers who have the passion and vision to reveal his unique genius.
July 23, 2013
I saw this last night and LOVED it, the title almost stopped me because i thought it was going to be a pimp and ho 70's freak show but it was totally the opposite. Its the story of Icebergs fascinating life and his reinvention of himself. The music in this doc was really well done and the use of pulp fiction imagery was genius, and Icebergs wife Betty WOWOW what a women, i can only imagine that household. Anyway, this was one of the best docs i have seen in awhile, i order Icebergs book pimp and hope it lives up to the praise it got.
April 13, 2013
Iceberg Slim is a film worth seeing. It is a portrait of a man, who ambled into brilliance from a place of darkness. Hinojosa shows us a man who had a powerful effect on many writers, actors and comedians, who read his experiential narratives of violence, brutality, guilt and regret.