• Directed By:
    Seth Gordon
    In Theaters:
    Feb 8, 2013 Wide
    On DVD:
    Jun 4, 2013
  • Universal Pictures

I think it looks alright

Melissa McCarthy tends to be pretty funny (but then again, I laugh at everything). It is strange at all the other upcoming flicks have reviews and this doesn't, but that could just be because it's early in the week. What do you guys think?
Virginia Lee
02-4-2013 09:55 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Kieran Leggatt

Kieran Leggatt

Howard Hughes is a fucking sexist

Aug 8 - 01:35 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

No; go back to the kitchen; movies are no place for a woman.

Jul 24 - 02:48 PM

Brian Chambers

Brian Chambers

Haven't seen McCarthy in anything, so I'll withhold judgement.

As for Bateman, he plays himself in essentially every movie. His comedy, even in good films, is derived from the craziness of his surroundings and other characters. He was the "sane" part of Arrested Development. He's the Hollywood good looking, normal guy, who happens to be somewhat likable.

His dramatic/comedy range has produced no performances remotely like Jim Carrey's Eternal Sunshine or Carell's Little Miss Sunshine (or even Crazy, Stupid Love). Arguably his best performance is Juno, where he cracks a couple jokes, acts a little more melancholy than usual, and gets upstaged by Ellen Page.

I actually like seeing him in movies on ocassion, but as suggested by the reviews for Identity Thief thus far, McCarthy steals the show and once again Bateman is along to react to the crazy side character's humor, not to create his own.

Feb 6 - 04:46 PM

Virginia Lee

Virginia Lee

Reviews are starting to trickle in; right now it's at 44% with 9 reviews. I predict it to end up somewhere between 40-60%.

Feb 6 - 01:24 PM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

It looks painfully annoying to me personally, I have nothing wrong with Jason Batemen but Melissa MCarthy looks so incredibly annoying in this movie. I didn't find her funny in Brides Maids (and after being dragged to watch it I would argue that it was extremely overrated and unfunny as a movie) The problem that i see is that Hollywood's trying to fore Mcarthy down audiences throats and I hardly find her bearable in small doses. As for Director Seth Gordon I don't know how he did something so hilarious two years ago with Horrible Bosses and something that looks so incredibly annoying this year.

Feb 6 - 07:04 AM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

That's exactly my problem with this movie. They're attempting to make McCarthy some sort of female version of Zach Galifianakis and the result is so annoying that she makes me want to pull my hair out. There is nothing remotely funny about her.

Feb 6 - 08:34 AM

Alex Aston

Alex Aston

I hope this movie is a box office bomb, and it does slightly hurt me to say that Since I think Bateman and Gorden did a great job with Horrible Bosses and should definietly do some more movies together, but if the movie failing is enough to ostracise Mcarthy from being in anymore big comedy's, then it will be worth it.

Feb 6 - 03:42 PM

Hipster Elitist Nyland

Hipster Elitist Nyland

out to be* damn, I have to start proofreading my posts.

Feb 6 - 08:34 AM

bribios

brian wilson

I'd definitely prefer the movie to be good rather than not, but I'm only cautiously optimistic. Arrested Development aside, Jason Bateman has picked some pretty crappy scripts (except maybe Horrible Bosses, but even that was just OK in my opinion). Good comedies are kind of few and far between, the last one I could think of being Seven Psychopaths.

Feb 5 - 11:50 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

what bad films has jason bateman been in ?

Feb 5 - 03:45 PM

bribios

brian wilson

Looking through IMDB, the most recent ones I can remember are Extract, The Change-up, and Couples Retreat. It looks like he's been in a few others I'd never heard of that I don't think even made it to wide release. He's also had a few minor roles in some bad movies, but I won't count those. I like the guy, and I'm trying not to compare his recent stuff to Arrested Development, but he just hasn't really been in anything that ended up being all that great.

Feb 5 - 04:34 PM

bribios

brian wilson

Save Juno, but even that movie was a bit overrated.

Feb 5 - 04:35 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

i really liked extract, it was just like office space. as for the others i get ya, but jason bateman is a really good actor.

Feb 6 - 05:59 PM

Brian Chambers

Brian Chambers

From what I've seen and can remember...The Ex, Smoking Aces, and Horrible Bosses - yeah, I'll catch some flack for the last one - are a good start.

His rottentomatoes scores tell the rest of the story. He needs another film like Juno, where he can be an even bigger character. He also needs to display more emotions than optimistic sadness, or utter confusion when his costars do their zany thing.

Feb 6 - 04:52 PM

Gene Bodyl

Gene Bodyl

I think it looks pretty funny. Jason Bateman and Melissa McCarthy are always good in my book. I really hope the reviews for this movie are good....

Feb 5 - 06:55 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile