Ifigeneia (Iphigenia) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ifigeneia (Iphigenia) Reviews

June 21, 2011
Recommended by the very cool Arianeta
October 21, 2009
'Iphigenia' is the great achievement of Greek Director Michalis Kakoyannis (who died a few days ago 25-7-11). This wonderful film is masterfully adapted for the screen and brought to life by a wonderful cast. Kakoyannis achieved the impossible. He managed to film a Greek tragedy to screen without losing its effectiveness and importance. A great Greek cast helps him in this. Tatiana Papamoschou (newcomer) is extremely impressive as Iphigenia. Equally impressive is Irene Papas, who even though she sometimes seems over the top, it is very realistic. A wonderful Greek film beautifully adapted and directed by Michael Kakoyannis, with an excellent music score by Mikis Theodorakis which is ideal in every scene.
This film and the story it narrates offer considerable insight into the lost world of ancient Greek thought that was the crucible for so much of our modern civilization. It teaches us much about ourselves as individuals and as social and political creatures. Euripides questions the value of war and patriotism when measured against the simple virtues of family and love, and reflects on woman's vulnerable position in a world of manly violence. In his adaptation of Euripides' tragedy, Kakoyannis revisits all of these themes with a modern, clear, and dramatic fashion.
And the big question: Is it a sacrifice or a murder, and how can we tell the difference between the two? By focusing on the violent and primitive horror of a human sacrifice--and, worst of all, the sacrifice of one's own child - Euripides/Kakoyannis creates a drama that is at once deeply political and agonizingly personal. It touches on a most complex and delicate ethical problem facing any society: the dire conflict between the needs of the individual versus those of the society. In the case of Iphigenia, however, as in the Biblical tale of Abraham and Isaac, the father is asked to kill his own child, by his own hand. What sort of God would insist on such payment? Can it be just or moral, even if divinely inspired? Finally, does the daughter's sacrificial death differ from the deaths of all the sons and daughters who are being sent to war? These are many deep questions raised by a two-hour film.
July 13, 2011
Rumor has it this great follow-up to Elektra lost the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1978 by one vote.

The ones that know at least squat about movie appreciation do not give a flying f#ck about that.

March 17, 2009
As I've said before, there is no one better qualified to tell a story than the people who originated it. In this case, the Greeks have adapted a tragedy from one of their well-known ancient playwrights and have given us this gem of a film. Overall, I was very impressed with what I saw here. All of the actors do a great job but there are times when all the emotional yelling and screaming tends to go overboard. But in a tragedy, I prefer too much emotion to too little. The production was especially impressive for a relatively unknown foreign film from the 70's. I thought that the editing could have been slightly better. The pacing is weighed down in parts with one or two too many still shots; a shot of Agamemnon's tent for 10 seconds, a shot of the beach for 15 seconds, then back to a shot of Agamemnon's tent for another 10 seconds, that sort of thing. Despite all this, Iphigenia excels as a presentation of one piece of one of the greatest stories in human mythology. One of the best shots is the very last one. It may mean more to those who have read the stories and know what the eventual end to this story entails. Too bad these guys never made a sequel!
November 26, 2008
nominated for best foreign film at the oscars
March 14, 2008
Great adaptation of Evripides' tragedy "Ifigeneia at Aulis", written in 410 BC
½ October 24, 2007
Incredible. The acting was phenomenal and casting was perfect. VERY sad
July 19, 2007
A masterful presentation. Irene Papas is excellent.