Il Pianeta degli uomini spenti (Battle of the Worlds) (Planet of the Lifeless Men) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Il Pianeta degli uomini spenti (Battle of the Worlds) (Planet of the Lifeless Men) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ March 28, 2009
This is my first Claude Rains film, and it will not be my last. Matter of fact I will make a point to see many more of his films, The guy with is big glasses and huge cigar was a trip. He made this movie, at least for me he did, the movie itself held little of my interest, I kept waiting for Claude to come back. Here we are getting ready to be visited by a planet called the outsider, and that made little sense as the life forms were inside the planet. And one of the scientist asked after there outpost was attacked my flying saucers from the outsider planet, do you really think there is life on that planet> DAH. Oh the life of a scientists. But I can only manage to throw this dog 2 1/2 stars
½ January 29, 2014
Slow and empty on plot and action, but it has a certain little charm and color. The cinematography is bit of a mess, and there is a cheap feeling throughout, but the sets and costumes are fun.
May 19, 2012
Very drawn out and silly plot that takes an age to get going and lavishes nothing on sets or plot refinement. The effects are particularly lo-fi and often lingered on and repeated to extend scenes where drama ebbs under their weight. The last few scenes raise many interesting questions that the movie could have explored if it had condensed its material into the first 2 acts.
August 20, 2010
A 2/10 rating is generous, and it got that only because of the presence of Claude Rains, in the only bad movie he ever made. Dreadful film, very bad special effects, horribly acted, except by Rains, laughably bad at times. There isn't much worse than a bad Italian film.
August 17, 2008
OK, the print is horrible, and the voice dubbing is pretty bad (it's Italian). The effects are pretty good, though, given the time and the apparent budget, and the story is surprisingly complex. It's not what I would call a good movie, no, but it's an interesting one. If you liike interesting attempts, then you might like this.
½ January 29, 2014
May 19, 2012
½ April 6, 2011
I didn't expect much cause its 1961 but wow what a crap movie. Print quality, colours, sound all terrible. The worst part was the atrocious script - what a load of dribble. If the story was slightly interesting you could probably put up with the toys they used as props. Garbage, don't bother..
August 20, 2010
½ July 23, 2010
Seriously Claude Rains Were you that desperate for money, that you had to star in an Antonio Marghetti Italian Sci-Fi cheapie? The movie, for what it is, is dreadful. Sure, it revolves around Rains emoting heavily on the fate of mankind in what looks like a rather large conservatory. Lots of psychobabble is tossed back and forth between dreadfully cheap sci fi shots (Hey! I recognize some of the helmets from Margherti's movie the year before, Assignment Outer Space!) until the final conclusion, in which, yes, Rains has to make the ultimate sacrifice and put on the space suit himself. Really Claude? Really?

Bonus points for the Casablanca-inspired scene!
December 21, 2009
I wish this film were better-preserved because it's actually fairly decent. Survivors of a doomed world travel to Earth in search of a new home. Their arrival pits Earth's scientists against the military (now, a common plot device). Claude Rains does a great job with the obsessed Dr. Benson and the ending is the kind of thing Hollywood should look to as an example more often.
August 3, 2009
Claude Rains makes this movie watchable. You wonder how much work he put into developing his character and how much of his dialogue he wrote. There is no other explanation as to why his character is interesting and well written and everything else in this movie is complete crap. The movie is poorly written, poorly acted, poorly directed, poorly edited, and has the second most annoying soundtrack I have ever heard. On top of being annoying they also had no idea how to use their music. You play the creepy sci-fi music when you are dealing with the aliens, not in the opening shot when the girl is running down a stone staircase on a Mediterranean beach.
bbcfloridabound
½ March 28, 2009
½ December 17, 2008
Yes, Claude Rains he was a giant. Movie's not as good, slow..philosophical...
August 17, 2008
½ June 19, 2008
A mysterious planetoid comes into Earth's orbit and only one scientist figures out somehow through calculations that some sort of music will destroy the saucers attacking Earth's rockets. Music that is played... in space. So no one making this film questioned the logic of that one?

06.19.08
69th Film of 2008
½ April 15, 2008
Cheezy and low budget, just right for those of us who love bad movies.