• PG, 1 hr. 59 min.

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

I'm In Love With A Church Girl Reviews

January 10, 2014
Prayer won't save this one. Ja Rule stars as Miles, a reformed drug trafficker who is wanting to go legitimate but finds himself struggling with temptations from his past life. Miles remains incredibly loyal to his old circle of friends who are all still involved in the world of drugs even though he himself has given up that lifestyle. The feds, though, don't really believe Miles is going clean ... and they keep a close watch on all of his activities. As Miles tries to remain a clean law-abiding citizen, he meets pretty Vanessa (Adrienne Bailon - 'The Cheetah Girls') whom he would like to get to know better and date. Miles believes himself to be rather studly and cannot believe Vanessa doesn't simply swoon and grovel at his feet; but he soon finds out the girl is virtuous and quite pious as she is the titular "Church Girl". The man has to strive to earn her love ... and he has to become a better man in order to do so. The film has rather poor production values, the entire cast is weak (it co-stars Stephen Baldwin!) and the storyline isn't convincing. The film really wishes it were a respectable one with an uplifting moral message ... but it is horribly clunky. With a title like this, it is no surprise that the film can come across as rather "preachy". While I do not mind a Sunday sermon, I don't want one in a theater ... and if I do get one in a theater, I want it to at least be well put together.
khalvic b

November 4, 2013
Booooooooo worst movie of the year........ thiz movie made me want to slit my wrist n throat at the same damn time!!!!
October 20, 2013
Could have been better, however the meaning is there and that was worth the ticket. Besides I got popcorn out of the deal.
Momentarily4ever
October 21, 2013
Surprisingly good, this mini film is fantastic. Good movie for the family. Ja Rule hits it home every time. This movie draws people of all races, there is no color barrier in this movie. Good acting by the rest of the crew, not so dramatic or soapy. I recommend this film to anyone who has been through a change in their lives. Its not a joke, change is good and GOD will guide you. Amen. Go Watch the Movie!! *
mack9930317
October 6, 2013
No matter what amount your faith is, this message will still touch your soul. "We are what we believe in." - Self
May 4, 2014
Half a star is generous. Its a shame too, because I get what they were TRYING to do. However, if Christian/church groups wants to accomplish their mission of outreach via large market movies, they have got to produce flicks that are compelling and on par with other films.

In Love w/ a Church Girl was amateurish at best! The dialogue was thick and sappy with cliches of "Christianity". The background music was WAY, WAY, WAY overdone - it needs its own IMDB page! The opening credits list "GOD" as an Executive Producer!?! Cheesy and presumptuous, not to mention incredulous.

I truly wish I had not seen this movie. I hope others do not think this is the standard set for evangelistic films.
C b.
February 2, 2014
The movie had a strong Christian message, which I felt was consistent with its aim. Some of the actors did a good job. Ja Rule and Adrianne Bailon did quite well in their roles. I think it was beautifully filmed and the music, though intrusive at times, was well done.

But there were some problems with the film. Some of the supporting roles were unevenly acted. Some of the timelines felt off ... I found myself wondering, how could all of this happen in one day? Or how can the police investigation continue when the police chief clearly did not want it to continue?

But overall, I think it was a decent movie and I enjoyed it. I hope that the director continues to hone his craft and make more films. I also hope to see Ja Rule and Adrianne in other films, whether separately or together.
Morgan B.
January 23, 2014
I have seen parts of it and i admit it's nice to see a pretty church girl who falls for a thug. however, it's a bit too literal. All Vanessa does is talk about church. It feels more like a church infomercial than an actual movie. The message about church seems to get drummed in our heads. I wish the movie were more authentic. If you are looking for a cheesy love story, then i guess this would do.
January 3, 2014
pelicula basada en la vida real, cuenta la historia de un traficante de drogas que con todos los conflictos y problemas conoce a Dios a traves de una de sus hijas, pelicula cristiana con un mensaje bastante positivo, recomiendo verla en casa un domingo
November 29, 2013
I enjoyed it despite what the critics thought. They just don't understand!
October 19, 2013
Great movie, don't pay attention to the critics, pay attention to the audience and go see it. can't wait for the DVD
November 4, 2013
Went to see this movie with a friend and I was shocked by the terrible interpretations of scripture present. The main female lead mentions not being "unequally yolked" with an unbeliever and then proceeds to date him without him giving his life to Christ and then her parents give their approval for him to marry her before this happens as well (it happens at the very end, after this relationship has grown and grown). I'm all about a testimony and God using what was meant for harm for good, but this movie is dangerous. Dating is NOT supposed to be a mission field. If you're a believer, anyone you date should be a believer too- that should be the first standard. It's not meant to judge or condemn anyone, but a way of the Lord protecting us. I love that there are more faith based films coming out into theaters, I love that Ja Rule has given his heart to the Lord, but I think these kinds of films need to be careful that everything lines up with the Word or they do more damage than good.
September 28, 2013
Great story, with real life struggles. Ja and Adrianne have wonderful chemistry on screen. Jeffrey Atkins can act. I left feeling good and wanting to hear more of the music. Can't wait to download the tunes!
November 1, 2013
I think the message was powerful. Jeff "Ja Rule" Atkins's acting was superb. Adrienne Bailon was a little irritating, too 'preachy'. But many in that church are that way. That type of congregation has some good success with people with troubled pasts who are trying to reform. I applaud their successes in that. It was interesting that flashy cars and flashy clothing are apparently okay in that congregation.
Jason Michaud
October 27, 2013
I'm in Love with A Church Girl October 18
Initial Reaction: Really?

Main Characters
Miles Montego: He's a businessman played by Jeff "Ja Rule" Atkins.
Vanessa Leon: She's that church girl played by Adrienne Bailon

Plot Summary
This film is about how Miles and Vanessa meet at some party, get really friendly, then go on a romantic journey over several months. Along the way, she tries to get him to accept God into his life.
But life isn't so good for Miles; the DEA thinks he and his friends are drug dealers - and they spend a lot of time trying to prove their case.
And God has a few plans for Miles that will really shake his life to the core.

SCORING
Main Characters
I know what they're going for - a true romantic flick where the couple really do fall in love with each other.
But I got bored after seeing them be nice to each other for the first hour or so - I was hoping some sort of interesting conflict would arise and test their love for each other. But that doesn't happen. SCORE: 2

Supporting Cast
Everyone else in the film is too nice and accommodating; it takes about an hour or more for a character to bring conflict into the movie - and by then, I just lost interest. I really didn't care if Miles' friends get busted or not. SCORE: 1

Plot
Need I say it? The conflict in the film for the first hour is lacking, so they had to drop in huge surprises that come out of nowhere in the second hour (someone gets involved in and accident, someone ends up with a deadly disease, she sees him with another woman.)
What's even worse is that these conflicts don't do much to the main story; they show up, then ten minutes later, they vanish, sending me back to the boring scenes with the two of them dating each other. SCORE: 1

Originality
This film tries to be different in showing how two people can fall in love with each other, but - you guess it - lack in intensity or conflict. SCORE: 2

Violence Factor
In order to boost the conflict, there is a stand off when one of Miles' friends gets involved in a physical confrontation with a bunch of strangers. I was hoping for something to come out of that, but ten minutes later, it passes by with no real effect on the main plot. SCORE: 1

Other Moral Issues
Watching this film makes me feel like I'm stuck at church on Sunday. All this preaching and quoting from the Bible really turns me off because I want to be entertained - not enlightened.
Besides, the main love story just goes on for far too long. I was just waiting for them to realize they were meant for each other, get hitched and get the film over with - instead of dragging it out for almost two hours. SCORE: 1

Final Score (out of 60): 8 % Score: 13.33%
They didn't need two hours to show me that he's in love with a church girl - they could've done this film in about forty minutes.
October 26, 2013
When I saw the tomatometer was 0%, I thought, "Hmm... I guess nobody has reviewed it." Sadly, I was wrong. It's just that bad. Not only is what the critics say true (a long, predictable sermon), but if you are a Christian, the theology is awful. Things like, "God has blessed me with my millions of dollars [that I got from my past dealing drugs]" and "if I pray hard enough, everything I want will come true" were sadly the main messages. I am surprised and disappointed with Toby Mac for coming on board with this project and being ok to sign off on it. Love him, and I'm disappointed for him that his name is on it, as an attempt to get other youth directors to take their youth. Fortunately, I have a rule to preview all movies before my youth see them, otherwise I would have spent an entire lesson correcting the mixed messages sent throughout.
October 26, 2013
Very good movie, the story was unique and inspiring
October 20, 2013
Haven't seen it yet but interesting how how the critics an be so "right" and 80% of the audience so "wrong!" Oh Big Brother, help us ignorant, paying public see the light, like you do!
Kadeem S.
October 20, 2013
A crappy religious true story starring Ja Rule and Adrienne Bailon. Can't Hollywood just stop using those religous nonsense turned into movies?