—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

I'm No Angel Reviews

AJ V

October 30, 2010
I'm not a big fan of West's, but I love Grant, and they don't seem to have any chemistry together on screen, which makes their movies together not so great. I wasn't impressed by this movie, it's just like the other movie they did together, nothing new.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

June 14, 2010
"i'm no angel" is only the third movie of mae west's and it's been a smashing hit. the script and the dialogues are entirely written by mae west, whose star magnitude is major stock for this movie. the best of it is naturally mae's strong sexually-charged inneundos, and if you expect realism or rationality, you wouldn't find it in this movie. the story is larger than life just as mae west's screen persona.

a circus torch singer decides to become a lion-tamer just for the quick bucks to pay her law suit, then she hooks with a rich admiring fan then gets rid of him when cary grant comes along to disuade his friend of this affair due to his marriage engagement. then grant becomes quite enamour of mae, so great shift to the richer and even handsomer grant. anyway the plot goes along like this. the part of mae west being the lion-tamer is kinda absurd, and her number is "putting her head in the big cat's mouth"...and her training skill is just chatting with lions as if they were the men she's about to prey. could you possibly believe THAT? (campy?)

cary grant then is still a bit girlish and fresh-faced, 10 years younger than mae, and he looks like a boy-toy prop beside mae. (it is said he dislikes that sort of typecasting in his early paramount days, so later he decides to go freelance. right career move, he does have a series of great classics later with howard hawks like his girl friday) despite all the odd elements, only mae west could make it work! here's some of the best dialogues:

fortuneteller: i see a man in your life.
mae: only ONE?

after kissing cary grant,
mae: it's not the man in your life that count but the life in your man!

cary grant: you're especially good at night.
mae: i'm good, i'm very good; i'm bad, i'm BETTER!

cary grant: i hope you don't mind if i get personal.
mae: i don't mind even if you get familiar!

man: i've been married five times.
mae: wedding bell must strike like an alarm clock to you.

in my observation, only black women(usually as maids) are in good terms with mae in her movies as if white women all behave like hostile bitches to her. (for stealing their men?) and i must say mae looks even prettier than "she done him wrong," and the curvy thin eyebrows are just amazing! and the wardrobe is alos more glamourous here, especially that black window satin gown with spider pattern. it does show her more styles!
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 23, 2010
Mae West makes this with her witty, clever, confident comments. Sassy! Love it. She is fab and has one of the world's greatest actors by her side making her look even better. Loved it.
December 18, 2010
Mae West is a personal hero of mine. She's funny, she's smart, she's crazy sexy. I'm No Angel is evidence of all three.
jam233
August 30, 2009
Great fun! Mae West's saucy dialogue and self confidence make this film a real winner. Very entertaining, well written with some great one liners, good musical numbers. Fine costume design.
jeffwatters65
February 15, 2007
One of Cary Grant earliest roles, Mae West is the focal point of this film. Cary Grant showed some promise.
April 3, 2011
It's hard for me to get past West's arrogance to find anything funny about her films. Not even Cary Grant is worth watching in this dismal affair.
Andrew K.
January 16, 2011
My first Mae West movie. Ms. West certainly had a unique style. I enjoyed it, but her constant bobbing was a little distracting. It was fun to hear the classic line, "Come up and see me sometime." Recommended.
December 18, 2010
I could write volumes about this, but I'm just gonna watch it over again instead.
Grumpy Old Man
January 7, 2010
One of the worst movies that I have ever seen.
jazza923
August 30, 2009
gillianren
January 9, 2007
I note with some glee, by the way, that tonight, AMC will be bringing us [i]Volcano[/i], with Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche--a movie that made me laugh so loud the first time I saw it that Peder's mom had to come out and tell us to be quiet. They've been playing [i]Rambo II[/i], still the worst movie I've ever seen, off and on all week. Hence, I'm watching DVDs from the library. Thank you, library!

Apparently, Mae West drove Cary Grant up a wall. After this, he refused to work with her ever again. History, or at least IMDB, does not record why.

The "happily ever after" was a little abrupt here. I mean, yes, Tira the lion-tamer loved Jack Clayton, and he'd just been misled by her sleazy ex-whatever. It was all a miscommunication. However, it [i]was[/i] a miscommunication that ended up with them in court for a breach of promise suit, which you'd think would take more than "Oh, well, that's all right, then" to make up for it. Or is that just me?

Oh, I know. When you have Mae West, you don't [i]need[/i] plausibility, hence the lion-taming thing in the first place, right? Right. The plot is really just something to hang the innuendo on. Still.

I found Mae West's adoring black maid fan club to be a little odd, but I did like that she treated them all as essentially her equals. Yes, they felt the need to subject us to the obligatory "giggling and rolling eyes" reaction shots every time there was a new man--or even the old one--in her apartment, but for 1933, this wasn't bad. She knew their names and talked to them the same way she talked to anyone else.

In her own bizarre way, Mae West seems to have been quite egalitarian. (Though, of course, she'd never have used that word herself!) She even took for granted that being gay wasn't a choice, though she did believe that gay men had women's souls. Then again, she was born in 1898, so expecting a completely modern attitude from her would be perhaps a bit improbable at best.

Ah, well. I've got three more of her movies left. I'm so glad that they're starting to put out "best of so-and-so" box sets; it means I get to get a good feel for the careers of various people. I've just this week realized that I never have seen a Mae West film before!