Io non ho paura (I'm Not Scared) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Io non ho paura (I'm Not Scared) Reviews

April 10, 2009
Well i'm shocked as to how well liked it is. I found it to be an unexciting, predictable movie start to finish! I wouldnt watchit or recommend it!
January 15, 2009
Part suspenseful thriller and part coming-of-age drama, I'm Not Scared is a minor masterpiece of film making from director Gabriele Salvatores. It's a story of crime and courage, a story of a young boy's realization that there is evil in the world and those nearest him are not only aware of it, they may be a part of it. Not a perfect film, but the flaws are completely forgivable.
½ October 3, 2008
This magical Italian rite of passage movie manages to do some difficult things very well but is less successful when bogged down with the demands of conventional storytelling. When it's going nowhere in particular, just showing something vaguely sinister chipping away at a boy's innocence, the film works brilliantly. However, when the plot asserts itself and that something sinister is defined - a kidnapping tale with a threat of John Paul Getty III-like aural mutilation - director Gabriele Salvatores' handling of the resultant thriller element is much less impressive. Worse still, for a film that I felt could go absolutely anywhere when it burst confidently onto the screen, things become disappointingly predictable towards the end. On the plus side, the child performances - so crucial to the success or failure of the movie - are excellent, especially those of Giuseppe Cristiano (Michele, the boy) and Giulia Matturo (Maria, his younger sister), and the Southern Italian countryside is simply breathtaking. My favourite moment is when Michele confesses to his sister that he cannot see her imaginary dog playing in the fields behind their house, and in the very next scene we see the combines rolling over the hill to harvest the wheat crop; we know with heartbreaking certainty that something intangible yet vitally important is gone forever, and that things can never be the same again for Michele.
½ September 10, 2009
a good thriller from a child's eye view. great performances by the kids.
October 11, 2008
Slow moving in parts, but still kept my interest throughout. A fresh perspective for this type of story and one that told through the eyes of a child.

To have carried off the lead role in this film was perhaps difficult enough, but young Giuseppe Cristiano gave the most natural performance (as did most of the children) and completely carried the film by himself.

We see a little role reversal here as the emotion and caring comes from the child rather than the parents.
September 10, 2009
A beautifully shot and highly engaging thriller. The mystery that surrounds the first act is enticing and the conclusion doesn't dissapoint. All performances are spot on, especially those by the child actors who never once let you doubt the blossoming friendship or the increasing tension. The less you know the better it will be.
½ September 10, 2009
Bright Italian drama of a 10-year-old boy who discover another boy chained in a pit near his rural home. This film deftly blends coming-of-age themes with sadly chilling moments from a child so frightened that he thinks he is dead.
½ February 23, 2008
Not so much scary as suspenseful, but still worthwhile.
½ July 26, 2008
I discovered this after discussing with someone who found it accidentally on one day...then flipping through onto TLN..what should I find but this.

The story itself is quite intriguing...and rather endearing.

While playing outside one day with his friends, Michele loses his sister's glasses...and when going back to find them...he discovers something quite extraordinary.

A shief of metal covers the ground, and when lifted up reveals a hole that conveys a body of a young boy hidden by blankets.

Putting his fears in the backseat, he goes home to discover his father home and can't stop thinking about his astonishing discovery. Getting in trouble for running away for hours on end and making his parents worry Michele edges on towards the hole in the ground.

Time and time again, he discovers the body of the young boy is not dead...but very much alive. He helps him by handing down fresh water, and spending 500 lira on some bread. After time, he becomes friends with this young boy and when getting home one time realizes that things aren't exactly as they seem.

This becomes apparent, when his father's friend Sergio comes to visit...and his curiousity gets the better of him, when he hears things he shouldn't. His fears are confirmed when he learns that the local badboy in town Felice is sniffing around the hole as well.

When his best friend, Salvatore, shows him a collection of toy cars his uncle sends him Michele asks him if he can have the one van Salvatore isn't fond of. After much deliberation, he tells the secret in exchange for the car. Thinking he could trust Salvatore with such a secret, Michele goes back to see the little boy and eventually carries him out of the hole to spend a day in the sun.

Yet, once placing him back in the ground Michele gets caught by Felice. And Felice gets mad at him, throwing him to the ground and eventually leading him to his car where Salvatore sits. In exchange for that information, it seems Felice allows Salvatore to drive his car.

When they get back, Michele gets his whole family in trouble. His mother tries to proteact him but ends up getting beat on by Felice...and when Michele tries to tear the man off his mother his father and Sergio come in to set things straight.

The adults are not happy with his discovery, and send him to get sleep...telling him to forget the whole thing ..but he can't. As Michele can't stop thinking about Filipo, why's he's in that hole and why he can't come out of there. Again, his bond with the young boy gets him into trouble again and again once he tries to figure out what is the right thing to do in such a situation.

This was a lovely interesting story about a young boy who learns what right and wrong is and what he chooses to do in such a situation. The acting was incredible, and I didn't mind the fact that it was subtitled at all. The music really set the theme for each scene as well, adding drama and a sense of intrigue at various times.
October 8, 2009
Beautifully photographed, and a great kid in the lead role. Was let down by the ending...anticipated something better in my mind. I won't say anything further, because that would be spoiling.
February 3, 2010
Fabulous creepy film. The guy at the bottom of a hole. Woooooo..
½ February 20, 2010
What an ending! This film builds to a shocking finish. The movie focuses on a nine-year old boy Michele who discovers another boy Filippo being held prisoner in a deep hole. Michele soon learns his parents and their suspicious friends are involved in Filippo's predicament. Michele becomes friends with Filippo. His friendship develops into the ultimate sacrifice. Great Italian film!
½ April 4, 2009
Very good thriller shot from a childs viewpoint - reminiscent of Stand By Me. It's beautifully written and well acted, what stops it from getting a higher rating is that it reveals the truth too soon and eliminates the thrill and suspense, but there's still plenty of tension right up to the end, it's just sotened. Recommended nonetheless
September 10, 2009
Really gets under your skin.
December 2, 2008
Beautifully shot and acted. I thought I was going to be watching something scary. What I got was a great drama/thriller with heart. Foreign film lovers will definately appreciate this one.
June 22, 2011
(Major spoilers ahead.) This is an astonishingly beautiful coming-of-age... what, thriller? There are certainly some thriller-like moments throughout, but it seems to me to be primarily a drama, especially in light of the final scene. It got a lot of comparisons to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, especially given the ending, although it's a bit ambiguous what Michele's fate is in this one. However, I hated Boy in the Striped Pajamas - I found the ending contrived and felt that it emotionally contradicted all they were trying to do with the story - and I loved this. Michele is a wonderful character and Giuseppe Cristiano plays him brilliantly. Really, really nicely done.
July 22, 2010
An interesting take on the kidnapping crime drama, this time told from the unique perspective of the children of two of those involved in the kidnapping. Haunting and hypnotic, though the end is a little too abrupt to be completely satisfying. Still, a recommended thriller.
½ January 21, 2010
Beautiful cinematography and well placed music add incredible atmosphere to this intriguing film. I loved how the story was told from the perspective of the children showing the contrast between innnocence and the corruption of the parents.
September 10, 2009
This film was self sabotage on my is the story, I missed every showing of this film at Fellini , no other place had it for rent, the sociologist in me wanted to watch this assuming the parellels to society were going to be apparent, Netflix finally sent it to me, I kept this film for four months, do not ask why, when I finally viewed it I was disapointed, I wanted a sinister secret to be revealed but instead I got the same old take on the darkside of human behavior...yes people are awful and heartless and this film displayed this but honestly I wanted it to have a more abstract quality that it was lacking