Five Favorite Films with Freida Pinto

The star of Immortals also chats about working with Tarsem Singh and the challenges of acting in her first big-budget production.

In just a few short years -- following her luminous debut in Danny Boyle's Oscar-winning Slumdog Millionaire -- Freida Pinto has gone from a virtual unknown to one of movies' most feted young actresses. Her handful of feature credits already boasts performances for such acclaimed directors as Woody Allen and Julian Schnabel, while she starred in the summer's surprise hit Rise of the Planet of the Apes and will soon headline iconoclastic filmmaker Michael Winterbottom's literary riff, Trishna. This week, Pinto lends her talents to Immortals, Tarsem Singh's visually stylish, violent and sometimes quite surreal imagining of ancient Greek mythology in which the actress portrays the oracle (and future lover of Henry Cavill's Theseus) Phaedra. We sat down with Pinto recently where she discussed her admiration for the director and the experience of working on her first big-budget film, and how it affects her performance. She also took a moment to recall her five favorite films.

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick, 1980; 88% Tomatometer)

I can give you them as they come to mind; right now, when you say "five favorite films," the first one that came to my mind -- and I'm trying to think of different genres as well -- the first one that came to my mind is The Shining. I do not know why, but that's been one of my all-time favorite films. I've seen it about four times. I think that's a lot for someone who's completely petrified by darkness and lonely places.

The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont, 1994; 90% Tomatometer)

Shawshank Redepmtion... I don't know, it's very uplifting and there's something about it that motivates you, you know, and gives you that sense of "Let's go and do it." I've seen it like a million times. It's kind of like a book that you can go back to and read again and again. I find it easier to go back to films than books, though.

Gone With the Wind (Victor Fleming, George Cukor, Sam Wood; 1939; 95% Tomatometer)

In terms of romantic films, all-time romantic films, I really like Gone With the Wind. And I realize I sound so clichéd saying that, but there's something so absolutely romantic about it. When I watched the film, I wanted to be in a situation like that -- to feel that love that's just basically, it's crazy; it's that kind of a crazy love.

Drive (Nicolas Winding Refn, 2011; 92% Tomatometer)

Recently I really enjoyed watching Drive, even though people seemed to be very mixed about it. I thought it was a well-done film. A really well-done film.

Ratatouille (Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava, 2007; 96% Tomatometer)

Help me out here! Can I give you an all-time favorite animated film? An all-time animated favorite is Ratatouille. I do not know why, but that film about that rat really got me. I loved Lion King as a kid, but as a thinking animated film [Ratatouille] really has something that I like about it. I thought it was amazing. And Peter O'Toole's voiceover as Anton Ego is just brilliant.

Next, Pinto discusses working with director Tarsem Singh on Immortals, the challenges of acting in big-budget films and how performances differ across projects.

Comments

Dave J

Dave J

Extremly diverse top 5!

Nov 8 - 01:11 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"extremely"

Nov 8 - 01:55 PM

Daltaidan

Diego Tribdino

Yeah, I like her taste, especially of Ratatouille.

Nov 10 - 05:05 AM

Rachel W.

Rachel Woloshin

Nice list!

Nov 8 - 01:27 PM

The Pieper Review

Ben Pieper

Great list!

Nov 8 - 01:32 PM

Nathan F.

Nathan Frederick

Yay, someone finally puts a Pixar film

Nov 8 - 01:36 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Great list, and god damn, what a beautiful woman. She is absolutely gorgeous.

Nov 8 - 01:43 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"extremely"

Nov 8 - 01:55 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Hilarious that 3/5 of her choices had the phrase "I don't know why" before explaining her reasoning.

Nov 8 - 02:27 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I did not even notice that! But when I think about it, I cannot really explain why I enjoy my personal favorite movies; I can point out the things that I love about them, but if I was asked why I hold them in such high esteem when compared to other equally great movies, my answer would probably be, "I don't know."

Nov 8 - 03:24 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Yeah, I missed that too. I don't know why, but I did miss that.

Nov 10 - 09:02 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Thats what great about films and why some hit us more than others... We experiance them on an emotional level, sometimes they connect and sometimes they dont. A good example is The Shining....I hated it and thought it was cliched , uninspired and completely ass raped one of the greatest horror novels ever written.....

Nov 8 - 04:01 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

It may be the cynic in me but when I see this Top Five, I see a celebrity pandering to a film geek crowd. That's just how I see it though, and yes, I am a professional party pooper.

Nov 9 - 10:13 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nah, you're fine. When the subject picks their actual favorite films, they get skewered by the RT community. It's really a Catch-22.

Nov 9 - 03:43 PM

Philippe

Philippe Ostiguy

It's easy to think that, but then if I was asked to pick my five favourite films and did it very honestly probably the same could be thought.

Nov 12 - 10:11 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"A" for effort. Nice to cover all the bases: art, feel-good, classic, current, kids. I will never understand the appeal of "Gone with the Wind", though...

Nov 8 - 02:40 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Agree about Gone with the Wind. I had to watch it last year as research for a my role, and I could barely fricken do it. The story is classic, but to me, the movie doesn't hold up over time.

Nov 8 - 04:48 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

I suspect that most of its fans just love hearing Rhett Butler say, "Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn." It's still a great line after all of these years, and some of the imagery is nice. Film lovers have a lot to love about the cinematography and the mise-en-scene of that film. The closing shot of the film, and the crane shot in the hospital yard. It's a film that represents classic Hollywood for a lot of people and it will stick around due largely to the fact that it is encapsulates everything that the old studio system used to be: epic and romantic.

Nov 10 - 07:13 PM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

GWTW is based on a book that had about as much factual information as Disaster Movie. Its a 4 hr soap opera - nothing more.

Nov 14 - 02:47 PM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

This is one of the better lists I've seen, and it doesn't hurt that she is fucking gorgeous.

Nov 8 - 02:44 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nice list. I think she was a little wasted in Apes, so hopefully if she appears in the sequel they'll give her more to do within the plot, which is possible since she is one of two humans Caesar trusts.

Nov 8 - 03:20 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Yes and no. Initially, I thought she was wasted in the movie; but the more I thought about it, the more I felt her character was strong in its quiet disposition. If you watch carefully, the movie's pathos transitions from Lithgow to Pinto - quite seamlessly. In the little time she had, she anchored Franco's character. Hell, Hopkins maybe had 15 minutes of screentime in Silence of the Lambs, and people tend to forget the movie wasn't even ABOUT him!

Nov 8 - 04:53 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I have not seen it since the opening weekend, so I might feel differently after I get to see it again.

Nov 9 - 03:57 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Let me know when you do. I'll be interested to know if you see what I was talking about.

Nov 9 - 07:25 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Nov 8 - 03:24 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Yeah, I missed that too. I don't know why, but I did miss that.

Nov 10 - 09:02 AM

Scott Love

Luke Simpson

Uuuuuummmmmmm... The perfect woman?

Nov 8 - 03:59 PM

Manuel G.

Manuel Granados

We need to see her in a Playboy pictorial to confirm or deny this statement.

Nov 9 - 08:30 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Nov 8 - 04:01 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

This chick is HAWT! Good picks. I really liked Ratatouille but did not love it like most people did.

Nov 8 - 04:26 PM

David L.

David Long

Really good picks, plus she's incredibly awesome.

Nov 8 - 04:43 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

By "awesome", you mean by her looks, right?

Nov 8 - 04:49 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nov 8 - 04:48 PM

Cheshire

Philip Z

Nov 10 - 07:13 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

By "awesome", you mean by her looks, right?

Nov 8 - 04:49 PM